Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Well... You tell me.

It kinda does, I think, but than again, it's better in one color, maybe...

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Than just use the yarn you like and don't worry about it! *hugs*

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have made sweaters with cables using variegated yarn but have decided now to only use solid-color yarn for anything with a complicated pattern. The patterns show up so much better with solid colors.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
pb54116 said:
I have made sweaters with cables using variegated yarn but have decided now to only use solid-color yarn for anything with a complicated pattern. The patterns show up so much better with solid colors.
I agree.made hubby a sweater and the pattern was complicated. Didn't really like end product. Looking on the bright side...it is harder to find mistakes:)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think it's ok, as long as it's a smooth yarn. I did a sweater with one large cable up the front in a sort of shaggy yarn that was also variegated. It doesn't really show under the "fuzz."

But I like the effect on both sweaters above. Great job!

·
Registered
11,991 Posts

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Handy Family's work is spectacular no matter what the yarn, no matter what the pattern.

I generally use the rule of thumb that soneka does. Simple pattern, fancy yarn. Fancy pattern (cables or lace) plain yarn.

·
Registered
52,630 Posts
I'm another who says that while it can be done it takes away from both the work you have done and the yarn- too busy to really see either IMHO. Depends to some extent on how 'busy' the yarn is and the size of the cables. Handy Family's are big cables so they show up better than they would if they were smaller.
If you are finding a different pattern you just want a simple one- maybe the interest could be in the design of hte item rather than the pattern in it as the yarn will provide the interest you want there.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
What is an IMHO?.. *blush*

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom