Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am knitting it in Caron simply soft however I do want to make one with sock yarn. If I knit it in sock yarn I will probably have to make adjustments for the yarn and needles.....right? How do I do this? I have only stuck to acrylic yarn and the pattern so far so how do I take the first step in knitting something with a different yarn and needles and getting it to come out correctly?

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-shawl-2

Eileen

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
The pattern is gorgeous. Have you thought about looking on Ravelry for sock yarn shawls? I know you will need more yarn and yes, the needle size would also change. You could also ask the designer.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Caron simply soft is considered worsted.... Knitting Gauge: 4" = 18 sts and 24 rows with a 5 mm (U.S. 8) knitting needle from a listing about it

Sock yarn is 3 steps down in size (worsted > DK > sport > fingering)
fingering is about 28 stitches per 4".... you'll probably need to cast on 50% more stitches and do 50% more rows to get the same size as you did with the Caron
Of course, you'll have to adjust numbers so that you have the right multiples for the pattern repeats.
There are lots of conversations about adapting patterns for a different yarn weight than what it was originally designed for.
It can be an interesting and rewarding thing to do.... The fabric you create will be different but still be charming.
Swatch!!!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Revan said:
The pattern is gorgeous. Have you thought about looking on Ravelry for sock yarn shawls? I know you will need more yarn and yes, the needle size would also change. You could also ask the designer.
Now.....that is a good idea.....!! Must go look for my mind....if anyone finds it will you please send it home???!!!

Edit....oh my goodness.....14 pages on Ravelry. Now that is much easier than doing the M word (math)......

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Irish knitter said:
Right now I am knitting it in Caron simply soft however I do want to make one with sock yarn. If I knit it in sock yarn I will probably have to make adjustments for the yarn and needles.....right? How do I do this? I have only stuck to acrylic yarn and the pattern so far so how do I take the first step in knitting something with a different yarn and needles and getting it to come out correctly?

Eileen
nice shawl ! i would look on the paper that comes with the yarn . it usually us what needles or crochet hook size ?

·
Registered
23,300 Posts
Irish knitter said:

Eileen
That particular pattern calls for a worsted/aran weight yarn ... catagory 4 ... Sock yarn is typically fingering weight ...catagory 1 ... A HUGE difference.
I would not want to try to use the same pattern for yarns that are that different in weight. The alterations in the pattern that would have to be made would be monumental...
It would be much better to find a pattern that is meant for a lighter weight yarn and smaller size needles.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
ewinter42 said:
Have a look at the completed projects for this shawl on Ravelry. Jennhunt2000 knit this shawl with sock yarn and US8 - 5MM needles. From the pictures she posted it looks lovely.
Could also send a pm to this knitter, Jennhunt2000, and ask if she could give you finished measurents of her shawl. Thus would give you an idea of the size differences

·
Registered
161,585 Posts
That is a pretty one. I read over the pattern and it is for the heavier yarn. Not to say you couldn't use sock yarn. You would need to do more repeats for the length, and then make sure you had the correct number of stitches to start the lace section.

Do a swatch first (I know, yuck), but that would give you a good idea of how many stitches/rows you would need before starting the lace section. If you don't mind the math, go for it. With that design, it should be very doable. Plus she also gives you the option of doing a M1 instead of a YO if you don't what the holes for the increases down the "plain" section.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Here's a easy shawl for & it's on Raverly called the "BLT", " Basic Little Triangle " by Cheri McEwen. You can use any kind of yarn and needle & make it as big as you want. I made it in sock yarn & made more of a shawlette. It turned out great & it's a very easy pattern.
Much easier to find a pattern that is already written for sock yarn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom