Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
What I have done is increase 8-9 stitches evenly across the heel needle, knit however many wedges you need, and when you come back around after completing the last wedge, decrease back to the original number of stitches and then continue on with the leg or foot. This has made a nice rounded heel for me without having to readjust the needle stitches.

·
Registered
847 Posts
mopgenorth said:
What I have done is increase 8-9 stitches evenly across the heel needle, knit however many wedges you need, and when you come back around after completing the last wedge, decrease back to the original number of stitches and then continue on with the leg or foot. This has made a nice rounded heel for me without having to readjust the needle stitches.
I sometimes do the same thing especially if I have a lace pattern going on the instep needles

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Deborahgtaylor said:
I have enjoyed doing the sweet tomato heel on two pairs of socks! However , the only thingI dislike is having to divide the yarn into thirds. Has anyone just done it on half the yarn?

Debbie
Did you mean the heel into thirds.. I do 2 socks at a time on 2 needles and use the STH I only use 2 skeins of yarn or use the inside and outside of the skein at the same time...
I would think doing the 3 wedges would give you a better fit... she (Cat) say's you can make any adjustments here you want.... I would brows through the Ravelry site and see what others say...

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
mirl56 said:
I'd go over to ravelry to ask your STH questions there. There's a forum dedicated to it.

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/cats-sweet-tomato-heels/topics
Thanks so much for this link.. I have been working with the heel and the forum has answered all the questions I thought I had and then some!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I meant the heel portion on the needles. I do magic loop. It just seems silly to have to divide into thirds. I do like the heel and three wedges are the best fit for me. I was just wondering if it worked out as well using half instead of two thirds for the sth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have. I use 60 stitches for my socks and divide them into 30 on magic loop. I use only 30 stitches for the STheel. I divide those 30 stitches so that there is an equal number on each side of center. If the guage is 8 stitches per inch, that means there is 11 on each side of the markers. In other words, 11 stitches marker 8 stitches marker and then 11 stitches on the heel needle. I think that done this way the heel fits my foot better. I knit socks for my SIL and sister and her friend and do the heel this way for them all. they love them and I love doing the heel this way. Hope this makes sense

·
Registered
977 Posts
Jcol said:
I have. I use 60 stitches for my socks and divide them into 30 on magic loop. I use only 30 stitches for the STheel. I divide those 30 stitches so that there is an equal number on each side of center. If the guage is 8 stitches per inch, that means there is 11 on each side of the markers. In other words, 11 stitches marker 8 stitches marker and then 11 stitches on the heel needle. I think that done this way the heel fits my foot better. I knit socks for my SIL and sister and her friend and do the heel this way for them all. they love them and I love doing the heel this way. Hope this makes sense
Thanks. I'm working on a practice pair and I'll give it a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom