Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of knitting my first prayer shawl using the pattern on the Prayer Shawl ministry website. K3, P3 across on circular needles. After several inches, the ribbing is apparent but I see one major problem. It appears that every time I switch from K and go to P (and I am bringing the yarn to the front) there is a bit of a hole. So the first P always looks a bit stretched. Is this a tension problem?

Thank you........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,962 Posts
Do you bring the yarn between the needles to the back of the work for the knit stitches and bring the yarn between the needles to the front of the work for the purl stitches?
Knitting with the yarn in front or purling with the yarn in back causes holes in rib stitches.
Also, are you making a Prayer Shawl that is supposed to be a rib stitch? Which book and pattern (page number) are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sine said:
Do you bring the yarn between the needles to the back of the work for the knit stitches and bring the yarn between the needles to the front of the work for the purl stitches?
Knitting with the yarn in front or purling with the yarn in back causes holes in rib stitches.
Also, are you making a Prayer Shawl that is supposed to be a rib stitch? Which book and pattern (page number) are you using?
On the prayer shawl ministry website ( prayershawlministry.com) there is a basic pattern for crochet and one for knitting. I am out of town right now but when I get home I will try to post a pic. Yes, am switching the yarn from back to front between the needles for purl. Thanks for helping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
galaxycraft said:
I think if you pick up the slack with a bit of a tug to tighten up the yarn before you do your first purl will stop the problem.
That is what I was thinking. After about 8" of that I switched to just knitting till I reach my other end and I'll do the last 8 " k and p.

Thanks
Peggy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,962 Posts
Peg Crafter said:
On the prayer shawl ministry website ( prayershawlministry.com) there is a basic pattern for crochet and one for knitting. I am out of town right now but when I get home I will try to post a pic. Yes, am switching the yarn from back to front between the needles for purl. Thanks for helping.
Here is the pattern from www.shawlministry.com:

The Original Prayer Shawl - Knitting Pattern © 2012 All rights reserved.
1998 - Written & Developed By Victoria Galo and Janet Bristow

It is important to us that the origins of this ministry be honored. We have worked diligently to keep this
ministry a 'grass-roots' effort. These shawls are meant to be given away unconditionally and NOT to be sold.
The information on this site is provided freely for your personal use.
All copied material that is used for 'personal use' must have the Shawl Ministry
web address (www.shawlministry.com) and credit given to the authors.
As all the material on this site is copyright protected, duplicating, distributing, or
displaying any part of it, outside of personal use, is prohibited.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us at [email protected] © 2012

Cast on stitches in multiples of three - 54, 57, or 60. For example, if you use size 11 needles and cast on 54 stitches, 3 skeins of 'slightly bulky' yarn is enough. Some yarns vary in elasticity which will affect your outcome, as will your knitting tension. If the yarn you have chosen has a multicolored stripe, be careful when tying on a new skein. Make sure the color sequence is correct. Also, tie on the new skein in the body of the shawl, instead of an edge, as the ends tend to show.

* First Row: k3, p3, to end

* Second Row:
Always start the next row with the opposite stitch of what you see.
For instance, if the first stitch on the needle is a knit, then start with a purl.
KNIT THE PURLS AND PURL THE KNITS!!!
It should NOT look like ribbing.

Note: If you cast on 57 stitches you will always start with K3
----------------------------------
I always CO either 57 or 63 stitches. That way you always start your row with K3, P3; and it is the basketweave stitch.
You can make a Prayer Shawl with a rib pattern. It's just that this particular pattern is not supposed to look like ribbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,506 Posts
peg don't rip and start over just block and give it a little tug, that should close any holes,like ladders on a sock they will disaper, the start another with the right st
pattern,this way you will have 2 prayer shawls, some one will need one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nan-ma said:
peg don't rip and start over just block and give it a little tug, that should close any holes,like ladders on a sock they will disaper, the start another with the right st
pattern,this way you will have 2 prayer shawls, some one will need one
Guess you are right - the intent is not to reflect perfection but to show some else they are loved. Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Peg Crafter said:
I am in the middle of knitting my first prayer shawl using the pattern on the Prayer Shawl ministry website. K3, P3 across on circular needles. After several inches, the ribbing is apparent but I see one major problem. It appears that every time I switch from K and go to P (and I am bringing the yarn to the front) there is a bit of a hole. So the first P always looks a bit stretched. Is this a tension problem?

Thank you........
Once the shawl is blocked, this "problem" will not be seen. One purpose of blocking is to even out the tension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,749 Posts
If you do the stitches consistently, it will look like an intented pattern.

Shawls have 'holes' when they're lacy so, IMNSHO, don't frog - just enjoy your creativity which will rest nicely on someone's chilly shoulders.

I hope you'll post a picture!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,962 Posts
Peg Crafter said:
Thanks .... I was doing in incorrectly. I was not knitting the purls etc.

I need to start over, ugh
Peg Crafter said:
Guess you are right - the intent is not to reflect perfection but to show some else they are loved. Thank you
I agree; don't frog and start over. Finish this shawl in the rib pattern. A Prayer Shawl can be any pattern you want; it is not one specific pattern.
If you want to do the original Prayer Shawl pattern later on, you know how to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone, being a new knitter, I want the experience of making prayer shawls to be a feel good thing for the receiver not a perfectionist attempt on my part.

I took one class at Joanne's on basic k and p ....I will take the advanced to see how to do even fancier stitches.

I will be searching the Internet for Lacy low maintenance patterns.

Thanks again to all the pros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Peggy Ann. I live about 15 miles east of you and just started a needle craft group at our local library. check with your library for a similar group. The exchange of ideas, and the comradeship is great. We all help each other to improve our skills in knitting, crocheting and other needle crafts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Sine said:
Peg Crafter said:
On the prayer shawl ministry website ( prayershawlministry.com) there is a basic pattern for crochet and one for knitting. I am out of town right now but when I get home I will try to post a pic. Yes, am switching the yarn from back to front between the needles for purl. Thanks for helping.
Here is the pattern from www.shawlministry.com:

The Original Prayer Shawl - Knitting Pattern © 2012 All rights reserved.
1998 - Written & Developed By Victoria Galo and Janet Bristow

It is important to us that the origins of this ministry be honored. We have worked diligently to keep this
ministry a 'grass-roots' effort. These shawls are meant to be given away unconditionally and NOT to be sold.
The information on this site is provided freely for your personal use.
All copied material that is used for 'personal use' must have the Shawl Ministry
web address (www.shawlministry.com) and credit given to the authors.
As all the material on this site is copyright protected, duplicating, distributing, or
displaying any part of it, outside of personal use, is prohibited.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Note: If you cast on 57 stitches you will always start with K3
----------------------------------
I always CO either 57 or 63 stitches. That way you always start your row with K3, P3; and it is the basketweave stitch.
You can make a Prayer Shawl with a rib pattern. It's just that this particular pattern is not supposed to look like ribbing.
Here is a portion of the above shawl. Ann
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
I usually crotchet my prayer shawls its easy and it goes quick. The last shawl I made I decided to knit using the k3 p3 pattern....it took FOREVER to knit....I could have crochet several shawls in the time it took me to knit 1...I must say, that the shawl turned out beautiful and the recipient loved it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
golfhag said:
Peggy Ann. I live about 15 miles east of you and just started a needle craft group at our local library. check with your library for a similar group. The exchange of ideas, and the comradeship is great. We all help each other to improve our skills in knitting, crocheting and other needle crafts.
Thanks... I will check at the library. I am semi retired and taking full advantage of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ann-other-knitter said:
Sine said:
Peg Crafter said:
On the prayer shawl ministry website ( prayershawlministry.com) there is a basic pattern for crochet and one for knitting. I am out of town right now but when I get home I will try to post a pic. Yes, am switching the yarn from back to front between the needles for purl. Thanks for helping.
Here is the pattern from www.shawlministry.com:

The Original Prayer Shawl - Knitting Pattern © 2012 All rights reserved.
1998 - Written & Developed By Victoria Galo and Janet Bristow

It is important to us that the origins of this ministry be honored. We have worked diligently to keep this
ministry a 'grass-roots' effort. These shawls are meant to be given away unconditionally and NOT to be sold.
The information on this site is provided freely for your personal use.
All copied material that is used for 'personal use' must have the Shawl Ministry
web address (www.shawlministry.com) and credit given to the authors.
As all the material on this site is copyright protected, duplicating, distributing, or
displaying any part of it, outside of personal use, is prohibited.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Note: If you cast on 57 stitches you will always start with K3
----------------------------------
I always CO either 57 or 63 stitches. That way you always start your row with K3, P3; and it is the basketweave stitch.
You can make a Prayer Shawl with a rib pattern. It's just that this particular pattern is not supposed to look like ribbing.
Here is a portion of the above shawl. Ann
Ah yes - I was prayerfully doing it WRONG! Lol
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom