Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy T-Pins to block a large shawl. Have to buy online because I haven't found any retail outlets here in Australia that sell them. I had a look on the internet and was faced with a wide choice. Would greatly appreciate the benefit of your experience to decide: best size for blocking; how many should I buy to block a large shawl; are nickel plated ok; is there a particular brand that is better than others.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I was looking yesterday because I have to block my prayer shawls and a website was saying to use toothpicks...I don't know but someone said if the t pins are not coated the will leave rust marks.

Anyone know if toothpicks would work?
I also have a question about the wires. I was reading yesterday that the wires can snag your yarn? Is that true?

·
Registered
15,603 Posts
eileenk said:
I was looking yesterday because I have to block my prayer shawls and a website was saying to use toothpicks...I don't know but someone said if the t pins are not coated the will leave rust marks.

I also have a question about the wires. I was reading yesterday that the wires can snag your yarn? Is that true?
I don't know. I have never thought of using them. I think the ones I get would not be strong enough :|

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lillyhooch said:
I am looking to buy T-Pins to block a large shawl. Have to buy online because I haven't found any retail outlets here in Australia that sell them. I had a look on the internet and was faced with a wide choice. Would greatly appreciate the benefit of your experience to decide: best size for blocking; how many should I buy to block a large shawl; are nickel plated ok; is there a particular brand that is better than others.
If you have a Model Shop in your area you may be able to get there there as the guys that build model planes use them for there building.I have some here that we sell in our shop.They are 1" long & there are 100 in the packet.$8.40 NZ less gst $7.30 + shipping

Attachments

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
eileenk said:

Nickel-plated pins won't rust.

Wires that are sold as blocking wires have been rounded at the ends and are as safe as your knitting needles. But you don't have to use wires: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2005/08/23/walk_around_the_block.html

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
I have quite a lot of T pins but have run short when blocking a large item. I took a chance and filled in with push pins and lo and behold they worked and did not rust. If anyone wants to try using these, though, I would recommend they test them for rust first. They would only work on something thin as the pin part is very short.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Rather than T-pins I prefer to use long quilter pins with a plastic bead at the top. They are thinner, rust-proof, less expensive and much easier to use if you are blocking a lot of points.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I would suggest when in doubt about metal pins to stick them through a little piece of tissue paper first so that the metal doesn't touch the yarn.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
I guess toothpicks would work depending on what you are blocking on. The surface under your work would need to be poke-able. It would not work on my blocking mats.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
eileenk said:

I bought my wires and t-pins from Amazon. Worried about my wires, but have blocked several items and they worked perfect. Not a snag anywhere. Easier to use than I expected too.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Lillyhooch said:
Try Morris and Son, they have a store in Sydney, I found them in their Melbourne shop.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom