Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have 2 cross stitch projects on 22 x 22 in aida fabric.

I want to join them together to form a pillow but I don't want to use fabric.

What's the best way to join them together?

Thanks for your help in advance
Julie

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
You could put cording around the edges and sew the two pieces together. You can probably get it in a neutral color.
If you will actually be using the pillow, you may have problems with the edges fraying if they aren't tucked under or covered.
Personally, if it's aida, then I'd sew a bit of fabric around each individual cross stitch, then put the cording in between and sew everything together.
If it's the preprinted pattern on fabric, then just sew together, but I'd still use cording or lace or something to finish off the ends.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Julie888 said:
Mainly because I don't know how to sew
Ahhh...maybe in knitting terms. (tongue in cheek)

After Step 1 below, bast two sides together with right side facing each other, continue with Steps 2 & 3 below.
(Basting is large stitches approximately 1/2 - 3/4" stitches that can easily be pulled out at the end of project.

Step 1 - Cast on with one strand. (Thread needle and knot one end.)
Step 2 - Purl one (Push needle from front side to back side and pull through.)
Step 3 - Knit one (push needle from back side to front side and pull through.)

Repeat Step 2 & 3 around, leaving enough space to pull items to right sides facing out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Murphie said:

After Step 1 below, bast two sides together with right side facing each other, continue with Steps 2 & 3 below.
(Basting is large stitches approximately 1/2 - 3/4" stitches that can easily be pulled out at the end of project.

Repeat Step 2 & 3 around, leaving enough space to pull items to right sides facing out.
This makes sense since I'm a knitter
:sm12:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Murphie said:

That's awesome ????

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hmm. There are ways to use crocheting or knitting to unite cloth units, but in all cases, at the very least you will need to have a secure edge - a hem - on the cloth units before starting. Otherwise the knitting/crochet will pull apart the fabric. If you don't sew at all, that could be a problem. But if you can at least manage a firm hem, you can use embroidery blanket stitch, slip stitch crochet, or picking up stitches in knitting to pull a thin yarn or heavy thread through say every second hole in the Aida. Then you can work crochet or knitting as wide/deep as you like to make an edging all the way around your fabric, then unite the two pieces with any of the techniques you would use to unite knitted or crocheted motifs.

I did a jacket like this once, combining strips of fur rescued from a thrift-store faux fur coat with big chunky cable strips of knitting. I used a crochet hook (and a hole making awl) to edge my fur strip with slip stitch, then joined my knitted cables to the now edged and tamed fur strips, using the crocheted chain as my foundation.

Hope this helps, -K.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Julie888 said:
Hi

I have 2 cross stitch projects on 22 x 22 in aida fabric.

I want to join them together to form a pillow but I don't want to use fabric.

What's the best way to join them together?

Thanks for your help in advance
Julie
I would suggest trying to find an upholsterer to assist you.
Alternatively think about getting the pieces framed instead.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want a knit or crochet st around it...most cross st patterns I have seen finished do use a complimentary fabric for the backing....you could do this & get 2 pillows....this is just measuring straight lines, cutting & sewing the straight lines.....look on Utube for videos. It's really not that hard....it can be done by hand too if no machine.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
lecartwrt said:
I created a reversible cross stitch/embroidery pillow and love the outcome. Please ask around and I bet you'll find someone local willing to stitch it together. Here's link to my prior post with pictures. https://www.knittingparadise.com/t-650689-1.html
Those are just so nice....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
In cross stitch terms, backstitch them together like you were outlining something. Just put the two right sides together and backstitch along all four sides about an inch in from the edge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom