Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has asked me to knit her a tea cozy ~ I found a pattern that looks simple enough for me but it calls for 100% percent wool. Would someone please explain to me why wool instead of a washable yarn? To keep the teapot warmer maybe? Wouldn't the wool yarn shrink if it had to be washed or accidently got wet? Thank you for any help. :)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Wool is a very good insulator. It won't shrink just because it gets wet. Agitation while wet will result in shrinkage.

You can just gently wash out by hand, roll it up in a towel to squeeze out excess water, then put it over a clean tea pot and gently shape. Let it air dry.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Previous replies are correct, natural fibers are better insulators than synthetics. If you use a "superwash" wool, it can be washed w/o shrinking or felting. Just give your daughter the ball band so she'll know how to care for it.

pattiknitter said:
My daughter has asked me to knit her a tea cozy ~ I found a pattern that looks simple enough for me but it calls for 100% percent wool. Would someone please explain to me why wool instead of a washable yarn? To keep the teapot warmer maybe? Wouldn't the wool yarn shrink if it had to be washed or accidently got wet? Thank you for any help. :)

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
You might get more help if you look at the top of the page and click on "create new topic" and then give it a title that describes your question. That way more people can see what you want to know. You might look on Ravelry for a pattern, and look for a great varigated yarn to make it from.

margaretg said:
I want to knit an outfit for a 3-6 month old baby boy. Something really different and eye catching. Lots of colour etc. Can anyone help me? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom