Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 860 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the calendar – this is the last week of august – and next week will be labor day weekend already. The children are gearing up for their first day of school come Monday morning – think they are looking forward to it – they have been pretty bored these past several weeks. This will be the first year; that Heidi will be without children for two and a half days a week. She is wondering what she will do. I think the peace and quiet would be lovely for a change. Lol
Tonight is the first quarter moon – you can file that away as your trivia for the day.

In today’s newspaper there were several tomato recipes I thought you might enjoy. Since many of you have gardens this would be a good way to use some of your tomatoes.

CHILI SAUCE
This is a spicy-sweet sauce using the entire tomato – works well as a base for other recipes. Once the freezer bags are filled and sealed lay them flat in the freezer – once they are frozen they are easy to stack wherever you want them.
1 gallon fresh tomatoes
3 sweet red peppers, chopped
3 green bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 cinnamon stick
¾ teaspoon dried rd pepper flakes
Directions:
Blanche and peel tomatoes and chop coarsely.
In large stockpot combine tomatoes, peppers, onion, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer until sauce thickens.
Tie spices up in a piece of cheesecloth.
Add vinegar and spice bag to sauce and continue to cook until thick.
Remove from heat. Remove spice bag.
Cool slightly and ladle into labeled freezer bags and freeze.
My sister-in-law used to make a sauce like this except she added the browned drained hamburger to it. That way it could be used for chili or spaghetti sauce.

Our over a hundred degree weather is over for this year – however it is still in the mid to high eighties which makes heating the kitchen a little daunting – so why not just have a salad.

MINESTRONE SALAD
About six servings
1/4 cup chopped scallions
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped celery
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup canned garbanzos, drained
½ cup cooked green beans cut in 1-inch lengths
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
1 cup basil parmesan dressing (recipe below)
Salt and pepper to taste
Spinach leaves
Fresh basil leaves
Grated parmesan cheese
Directions:
Toss scallions, carrots, celery, beans, cabbage, cherry tomatoes and elbow macaroni with basil parmesan dressing. Let stand several hours to blend flavors.
At serving time, taste again, adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper.
Serve on a platter lined with fresh spinach.
Garnish with basil, sprinkle with parmesan cheese

BASIL PARMESAN DRESSING:
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic minced
¼ cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
Place ingredients in a jar – shake well to blend.

My oldest grandson begins his college career in a couple of days – I kind of envy him. While I loathed everyday of high school – I really enjoyed by college days. I have a college roommate living here in defiance (we have dinner a couple of times a month) – we did a road trip a while back – the first time either of us had been back on campus in over forty years. So many changes. Did not look the same with all the new buildings, etc. actually it was kind of sad – I would just as soon remember the campus as it was when I was there a long time ago. I am hoping my grandson has a marvelous time the next four years.

I love my cats – I really do – they get away with murder. However – sophie kitty is on my s… list – she peed in the middle of my bed. Granted – I needed to wash up my bed – it’s been a week or so – but really – the door was open – all she had to do was walk ten feet and she would have been outside. She is outside now. Never has a cat peed on my bed – survivor used to try and go in the corner here by my computer table – we had a little come to jesus talk about how that was not a good idea. I think it is puff kitty that pees on my bathmat every so often but that is easily washed – not a bit deal. But the bed is. At least it did not go all the way to the mattress. I’m not sure what to do with her – I certainly am not going to sleep with the front door closed – not until I absolutely have to. Sophie kitty is staying her distance today – think she realizes she is not in my good graces.

Bailee was invited by a friend (who has two sisters who each invited a friend) to spend the night in a local motel for the night and go swimming. Then today they all had a manicure and are now shopping in Toledo. I am hoping they are having fun – actually I hope the mother is having fun – I think she is a glutton for punishment. Lol

Lexi’s bedroom is almost done. She has been working on it most of the summer. She has always wanted hardwood floors – so Heidi allowed her to rip up the carpet with the understanding she would do all the work – stripping – sanding – staining and varnishing. She worked her little butt off and the floor looks great. She painted the walls a cherry yellow with white trim. Her dad had four half pillars in the barn – Styrofoam just the right height to stand on each side of her windows – looks most cool with each window outlined with these pillars – doesn’t look spelled right. Now she is painting her bed and getting it ready to set up. The upstairs has been a bit torn up with all of lexi’s things in the hallway and the boys bedroom. Everyone seems to sleep downstairs during the summer. They have filmy white curtains to hang at the windows. There is an alcove in her bedroom – gary is building a bench to go there – shelves underneath for baskets and a four inch foam pad on top – extra seating and sleeping. The whole room has really come together.

It will take me the rest of the evening to make my bed – I can run out of air really quickly if I am not careful. It is getting two corners of the sheet on the mattress – rest a minute – do the other four corners – etc. I am not complaining – at least I can still do it. Heidi told me to call her when I was ready – I will if I remember but I have been really forgetful lately. Copd/emphysema is such a drag!!!

sam

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You are doing another fabulous job on the tea party and recipes look great. Naturally chilli is not for me but the minestrone salad might work for me. Your kitty is something mine has done and they can stand outside a bit to figure out what they did... m a y b e... Like I have said before Sam, Dogs have people Cats have staff.

Hello to everyone on the new tea party. I get my new wood floor down tomorrow from step son. I am exited and then I can clean up all the mess again, and again. Joe p

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Sam & everyone else. My mom is doing better. The infection is clearing up nicely. I am working on a stamped baby quilt that I am doing the embroidering on. I have several more that I can do. I also have 90 stamped quilt blocks that can be used for full size quilts that I can embroider. I also bought a flat bed sheet that I can embroider on to learn other stitches. My ex-sister-in-law had a cat that got up & peed in the baby's crib & liked to pee on my brothers side of the bed. When she peed in the crib I tossed her on the floor.
Lisa

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good start to the new TP Sam Super recipes. Feel I can go to bed now. Will be about 10 pages by the time I get on here in the morning. Hope everyone has a restful nights sleep. night-night all.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
BASIL PARMESAN DRESSING:
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic minced
Directions:

Sam, I think you missed the Parmesian? How much shredded parmesian do I add to make this? Thinking I will love this over a ceasar salad!

Possibly your Sophie kitty has a bladder infection? or has diabetes? Frequent uncontolled urges to pee is associated with this and this is one of the first signs in a cat. See what the vet says. Naughty kitty will need a kitty Pamper on the behind, you know the disposable kind that catches all the little leaks. hmmm, maybe that was Luvs.

New floors for Lexi and Joe!!! nice for the roomba to have a go at! Sam, you kind of need to make your rounds with the roomba and do demonstrations!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Good evening Sam,

Thanks for being our host again this week.

Sunday we are supposed to be celebrating five birthdays in our family. We were going to cook out but the latest forecast is for rain. We'll see.

I am making Peanut Butter Pie for dessert. It is a Cooking Light recipe that I have used many times.

Peanut Butter Pie

Prepare two pie pans with graham cracker crusts, Set aside

Filling Ingredients
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 1 cup natural-style, reduced-fat creamy peanut butter (such as Smucker's) $
• 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
• 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
• 12 ounces frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
• •20 teaspoons fat-free chocolate sundae syrup

Preparation
1. Combine powdered sugar, peanut butter, and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add milk; beat until combined. Fold in whipped topping. Divide mixture evenly between crusts; chill 8 hours or until set (pies will have a soft, fluffy texture). Cut into wedges; drizzle with chocolate syrup.

Many variations:You can make the crusts out of chocolate wafers; you can use chocolate curls and crushed peanuts instead of syrup. Instead of two pie crusts, I make it in a spring form pan which makes it a higher dessert. It does need several hours in the freezer to set up. It can be served right out of the freezer if you like.

I no longer have school age children but it does seem as though the summer has gone quickly even though I was inside more than out because of the heat. We are 60 miles north of Chicago--just heard that they have had 43 days above ninety this year. We can't be too far behind.

I hope this finds all KPers and family members doing well

Wisconsin Joy

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good news about your mother lisa - yeah.

did throwing her on the floor teach her anything. it hasn't worked for me. lol

sam

Lisa crafts 62 said:
Hi Sam & everyone else. My mom is doing better. The infection is clearing up nicely. I am working on a stamped baby quilt that I am doing the embroidering on. I have several more that I can do. I also have 90 stamped quilt blocks that can be used for full size quilts that I can embroider. I also bought a flat bed sheet that I can embroider on to learn other stitches. My ex-sister-in-law had a cat that got up & peed in the baby's crib & liked to pee on my brothers side of the bed. When she peed in the crib I tossed her on the floor.
Lisa

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you know 5mmdpns - there is no parmesan cheese amount given for the dressing - i think if it was me i would mix us the rest of it - shake it up -and then add as much freshly grated parmesan as i wanted.

as an aside - with as much parmesan as there is in the salad you might not want any in the dressing. however - if you are like me - one can never have too much paremsan.

i think sophie kitty was just to lazy to go outside. if i catch her at it she will wish she had gone outside.

i wonder if they would give me a royalty for every roomba i sold. lol

sam

5mmdpns said:
BASIL PARMESAN DRESSING:
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic minced
Directions:

Sam, I think you missed the Parmesian? How much shredded parmesian do I add to make this? Thinking I will love this over a ceasar salad!

Possibly your Sophie kitty has a bladder infection? or has diabetes? Frequent uncontolled urges to pee is associated with this and this is one of the first signs in a cat. See what the vet says. Naughty kitty will need a kitty Pamper on the behind, you know the disposable kind that catches all the little leaks. hmmm, maybe that was Luvs.

New floors for Lexi and Joe!!! nice for the roomba to have a go at! Sam, you kind of need to make your rounds with the roomba and do demonstrations!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have never had a litter box stella - survivor and puff kitty always went outside - sure a few accidents - mostly in the bathroom which is easy to clean up. but they have been really good. too bad there is no such thing as peer pressure in the animal world. lol

sam

StellaK said:
Sometimes that kind of bad behavior by a cat indicates a urinary tract infection, especially in cats who use a litter box or go outside regularly. I can imagine the mess, Sorry!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just got a new pair - $300+ and now i look like harry potter - well the glasses do.

sam

Sandy said:
Hi everyone! I can't believe as late as I am I may still make the 1st page. Glenn & I have been shopping for eyeglasses all day. I'm pooped! No glasses to show for it either!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
preston said:
i just got a new pair - $300+ and now i look like harry potter - well the glasses do.

sam

Sandy said:
Hi everyone! I can't believe as late as I am I may still make the 1st page. Glenn & I have been shopping for eyeglasses all day. I'm pooped! No glasses to show for it either!
ok, now Sam we need a new pic for your avatar with those harry potter glasses, lol

I thought I would make up the parmesian dressing and just use it for my salad dressings. So I will take your advise and just add the parmesian to it!! should taste great anyways! :D

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hey Tea Party friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'mmmmmmm BAAACCCCKKkkkkk :lol:
I actually got sprung from the hospital about 3 this afternoon, was so great to feel the sunshine again! They did chelation therapy, got about 5 pints of blood, did a liver biopsy, poked, prodded, stuck and restuck so many times my arms feel like over used pincushions :| But I'll get over those in a week or so, for now no heavy lifting and strict orders to take it very easy the next 2 weeks. New medications, new diet also that is wonderful for me, all the protein I want and I have to up my cholesterol intake, odd that it is very very low. No more raisins and no spinach salads, iron intake is way too high liver is not happy with me right now.
I have a LOT to catch up on, but will do that a little at a time. Just know I have missed you all so very much. Was in ICU until late yesterday and no electronics were allowed, C forgot to bring my lap top last night also.
Sam, love the Chili sauce recipe, my Mom used to make this all the time, will try to make some and put up for the winter! She loves it on ham steaks! I also love the dressing, that is gonna be great!!!
Sounds like your family has had a busy summer with all the contruction, but bet it looks great!!
I never had an inside cat, too many allergies, but sure would have hated for that to have happened to me!!!
I'll be on and off my arms are so sore, hard to type for very long.
Keeping all in my prayers :-D

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
preston said:

sam

Sandy said:
I can't believe the cost of some of the frames! I have really good insurance through the school district but they don't cover all of the frame costs but they cover more than the last insurance did. I didn't think selections were as good as they have been in the past. We may go to a few more places before we decide.

1 - 20 of 860 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom