Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for our primarily tea-drinking KPers-I love tea. It is my caffeine source. I brew loose tea-Earl Grey is the favorite-or should I say favourite, but English breakfast is a close second. My tea monger-we have a shop here that sells coffee and teas-is appalled that I put a splash of milk (just enough to color it) in my tea. He says that should not be done-plain or with lemon only. I still get the lovely tea taste, but it's not as tannic with the milk. Am I breaking some MAJOR tea rule? Thanks for any input (not that it will change my habit).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56,520 Posts
I drink my tea straight and very strong but my sweet mom, rest her soul always had milk in her tea. I don't think you are breaking any rules. I think it is a personal preference. Enjoy just how you like it :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,254 Posts
That sounds like it's his preference - but it's not a rule. Just like you can enjoy your coffee black, with skim milk, whole milk, cream, with or without sugar, iced or hot, etc., you can drink your tea any way you like it.

I like it plain, or with honey if I'm sick. Hubby likes it with sugar or honey. Neither of us uses milk. I don't like it with lemon, but that's just my choice.

One of my Irish grandmothers always drank her tea with milk & sugar, the other drank it with lemon only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,210 Posts
There are NO TEA POLICE here, so relax and enjoy your cup of tea as you like it.
I drink mine sweetened, no milk. But I like my coffee extra light and no sugar.
Each to his/her own.
Linda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
We had tea, Earl Grey to be exact, in England and Ireland and they brought cream to the table everywhere we went. DH and I both take cream in our teas. I occasionally put lemon and sugar in mine, but, it depends on my mood for the day. So, go ahead and have it your way. As lee1313 said, there are no tea police here. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,792 Posts
shayfaye said:
We had tea, Earl Grey to be exact, in England and Ireland and they brought cream to the table everywhere we went. DH and I both take cream in our teas. I occasionally put lemon and sugar in mine, but, it depends on my mood for the day. So, go ahead and have it your way. As lee1313 said, there are no tea police here. lol
When you say cream, do you mean milk? We usually only have milk in tea and coffee, but sometimes have cream in coffee. Always wondered about this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
My family background is English and Irish. I love my tea (Red Rose Black Pekoe)(It's a Canadian thing) hot and strong with a little milk. Cream ruins the tea for me and I don't enjoy it straight but my husband does. DD says I get a little crabby if I don't have my regular tea fix. Drink it the way you prefer. On another note, why don't American restaurants know how to make decent hot strong tea? I was very tea deprived on a recent trip to the USA and cold unsweetened iced tea just wasn't it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,603 Posts
Rosette said:
shayfaye said:
We had tea, Earl Grey to be exact, in England and Ireland and they brought cream to the table everywhere we went. DH and I both take cream in our teas. I occasionally put lemon and sugar in mine, but, it depends on my mood for the day. So, go ahead and have it your way. As lee1313 said, there are no tea police here. lol
When you say cream, do you mean milk? We usually only have milk in tea and coffee, but sometimes have cream in coffee. Always wondered about this one.
The idea of cream in my tea makes me feel ill. BUT I always have my Earl Grey with a small amount of semi-skimmed milk in it. I went to a cafe recently where they actually made it with loose tea, I even got to choose the tea pot I wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
There are no hard and fast rules about how you take your tea - just enjoy it with or without milk. The next discussion should be do you put the milk in the cup first or after you pour the tea in the cup?

Myself, I always put the milk in first, then the tea and then sugar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,603 Posts
margaretcave said:
There are no hard and fast rules about how you take your tea - just enjoy it with or without milk. The next discussion should be do you put the milk in the cup first or after you pour the tea in the cup?

Myself, I always put the milk in first, then the tea and then sugar!
Always the milk first for me. I have been known to pour away a cup of tea and start again if someone pours it for me the wrong way round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,373 Posts
There are certainly tea ceremonies in Japan and I am sure there is a ritual at a High Tea.... but that is just a part of ritual/history..... NOT a rule... The day we have to have rules about how to we drink our tea, butter our bread.... Well..... My first rule would be,,,,eat dessert first, just in case you run out of room..... Such nonsense. The tea monger is full of himself.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
If you are using fine bone china the custom started that you put your milk in first to protect the cup from the hot tea. I prefer to make it milk last as you can get the strength you want. But in saying that I drink mine Black with a liitle sugar as I am allergic to milk. Some teas like Lady grey are recommended without milk as they have citrus flavours. But like everything in life I think it is completely a personal choice.... I know myself you only really enjoy it if it is made the way you like it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
I like tea with milk. I have had it with cream at some restaurants.
I ask for hot tea and they say, "Pepsi?"
"No, HOT TEA!"

I went to a Honey Dew Donuts and asked for a refill in one of their travel mugs.
I said, "Tea with just milk."
The girl behind the counter said,"She is new, I'm training her."
She rinsed the mug and filled it with COFFEE!
Luckily, I could see what she was doing.
I said, "That was tea."
She had to rinse it out and start over.

I went to a local donut shop and asked for tea with just milk.
She got the water from the faucet and placed the Styrofoam cup in the microwave a few times.
When I got to the car and opened the lid, it looked like white chowder with a tea bag floating in it.
It was cold and had extra sugar!.

I went to McDonald's and asked for tea with just milk.
This was the drive through.
I drove away and found that I had a cup of hot water, no tea bag and several creamers.

I went to Dunkin Donuts. Asked for tea with just milk.
Didn't check before leaving. Figured the bag had to brew.
It ended up being coffee with sugar.

I went to another Dunkin Donuts. Asked for tea with just milk.
The girl said,"We have that?"
I said, "Yes. I get it every night."
I got it and the Styrofoam cup was very cold.
I opened it up. She filled the cup with milk and put a tea bad in it.

Most places that make your tea do it this way.
They put the milk in it, then the water and last of all drop in the tea bag.
Dick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
shayfaye said:
We had tea, Earl Grey to be exact, in England and Ireland and they brought cream to the table everywhere we went. DH and I both take cream in our teas. I occasionally put lemon and sugar in mine, but, it depends on my mood for the day. So, go ahead and have it your way. As lee1313 said, there are no tea police here. lol
I don't think that British people would bring you cream for your cup of tea, milk yes.
Or maybe that's what you call cream?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,373 Posts
So.... Dick.... You must be a glutton for punishment.... I would be switching to coffee or ordering a cup of hot water and carrying my own tea bag and powdered milk.... Then again, that sounds horrid.... Drive fast, go home and do it right.... It seems we never pick up any fast food where the whole order is right... Now, should we talk about getting the right change????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,603 Posts
DickWorrall said:
I like tea with milk. I have had it with cream at some restaurants.
I ask for hot tea and they say, "Pepsi?"
"No, HOT TEA!"

I went to a Honey Dew Donuts and asked for a refill in one of their travel mugs.
I said, "Tea with just milk."
The girl behind the counter said,"She is new, I'm training her."
She rinsed the mug and filled it with COFFEE!
Luckily, I could see what she was doing.
I said, "That was tea."
She had to rinse it out and start over.

I went to a local donut shop and asked for tea with just milk.
She got the water from the faucet and placed the Styrofoam cup in the microwave a few times.
When I got to the car and opened the lid, it looked like white chowder with a tea bag floating in it.
It was cold and had extra sugar!.

I went to McDonald's and asked for tea with just milk.
This was the drive through.
I drove away and found that I had a cup of hot water, no tea bag and several creamers.

I went to Dunkin Donuts. Asked for tea with just milk.
Didn't check before leaving. Figured the bag had to brew.
It ended up being coffee with sugar.

I went to another Dunkin Donuts. Asked for tea with just milk.
The girl said,"We have that?"
I said, "Yes. I get it every night."
I got it and the Styrofoam cup was very cold.
I opened it up. She filled the cup with milk and put a tea bad in it.

Most places that make your tea do it this way.
They put the milk in it, then the water and last of all drop in the tea bag.
Dick
I tend to only order tea where I can get it in a teapot. Tea made any other way is yuck. So I mainly drink it at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,539 Posts
shelbie said:
My family background is English and Irish. I love my tea (Red Rose Black Pekoe)(It's a Canadian thing) hot and strong with a little milk. Cream ruins the tea for me and I don't enjoy it straight but my husband does. DD says I get a little crabby if I don't have my regular tea fix. Drink it the way you prefer. On another note, why don't American restaurants know how to make decent hot strong tea? I was very tea deprived on a recent trip to the USA and cold unsweetened iced tea just wasn't it!
When I'm abroad I can't get a decent cup of tea! I'm often presented with a large paper cup, full to the brim with hot water. I'm supposed to add my tea bag to this, but with so much water, the tea is too weak. It happened recently in Germany and I asked for two tea bags, which solved the problem. I take milk in my tea too, and like it hot and strong.
 
1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom