Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, hope your day is going well.
I have been cajoled into teaching Artistic Knitting starting in September. This stems from my annual yarn bombing pieces. Several of us have been trying to start a fiber art section at our Visual Arts Center.
So! I would really, really like any & all input. I have several washcloths, each having a different design to demonstrate the knit vs pearl for the first day. Next session I plan to bring Knitting graph paper so they can outline something they want to make. That's all I know so far. Please give me advice, ideas, etc
Textile Creative arts Toy Art Doll

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Hi there, hope your day is going well.
I have been cajoled into teaching Artistic Knitting starting in September. This stems from my annual yarn bombing pieces. Several of us have been trying to start a fiber art section at our Visual Arts Center.
So! I would really, really like any & all input. I have several washcloths, each having a different design to demonstrate the knit vs pearl for the first day. Next session I plan to bring Knitting graph paper so they can outline something they want to make. That's all I know so far. Please give me advice, ideas, etc View attachment 1234952
They are so cute!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly is artistic knitting? The beautiful examples you show include 3-D elements. If I were coming, I’d expect to learn how to do that.
That is why I'll supply the graph paper so they can sketch out what they want to make. I'm a bit unnerved by this teaching. Hoping to see if I'm missing any thing.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooos, sorry for the doubles. Punta Gorda, FL has a Visual Arts Center that holds classes by incredibly accomplished instructors. I am shaking in my shoes since being tagged to teach this class. But I would really like to succeed getting more knitters willing to forego patterns & try making their own designs. There are SO many talented knitters in Knitters Paradise I figured you would have very respectable suggestions. :)

·
Super Moderator
82,419 Posts
Many people seem fearful of straying from a published pattern. I believe they are limiting themselves, quashing whatever creativity they were born with.
I don’t lean towards three-dimensional things. I am addicted to mitred squares though. Some: Ravelry: JessicaJean's Projects)

I like the look of freeform knitting (or crocheting), but it’s hard for me to launch myself that far away from patterns.

I guess I’m trying to say that convincing your students to break away from thinking of patterns as graven in stone would enable them to venture into ‘art’.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many people seem fearful of straying from a published pattern. I believe they are limiting themselves, quashing whatever creativity they were born with.
I don’t lean towards three-dimensional things. I am addicted to mitred squares though. Some: Ravelry: JessicaJean's Projects)

I like the look of freeform knitting (or crocheting), but it’s hard for me to launch myself that far away from patterns.

I guess I’m trying to say that convincing your students to break away from thinking of patterns as graven in stone would enable them to venture into ‘art’.
Jessica Jean, you are one of the highly respected people on this forum. I will keep your words in mind...but my take is, It's just sticks & string. What an amazing amount of different things we can do!

·
Super Moderator
82,419 Posts
Jessica Jean, you are one of the highly respected people on this forum. I will keep your words in mind...but my take is, It's just sticks & string. What an amazing amount of different things we can do!
Absolutely!!!
But we must first break lose from the idea that patterns MUST be followed blindly.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I agree with Jessica-Jean, and like her, am afraid to stray very far from a printed pattern. Perhaps I do not have enough imagination. :LOL:. Good luck in your teaching endeavours.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
From what you have written so far, you will be teaching people who already know how to knit, correct? If not, if you are opening it up to "anyone interested", be careful - you may get some non-knitters, who would need to be taught the basics.
When I was working at the yarn store, one of our experienced teachers (who often led newbie classes as well as more advanced classes) was sent to do a workshop on a simple lace scarf during a breast cancer awareness event. It was a one time, single session to help with the skills needed to make an awareness scarf pattern that had some lace work. She got quite a mix of people, some with previous lace experience, some without, and lots who'd never picked up knitting needles in their life! She did what she could, but said it was super stressful, and that it should have been advertised that it was not a beginner class/project.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top Bottom