Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup ~ Serves 2
Preparation time 15 mins ~ Cooking time 60 mins

Wholesome and nutritious, though it has a creamy, coconutty base, this take on a chicken noodle soup still manages to be light on the stomach while the chilies pack a welcome punch.
There's something about Thai food ~ the nostril-clearing, punchy flavours combined with rich, coconutty broths and curries ~ that makes it irresistible.
I find thigh meat far preferable, in this soup, to breast, but if you want to speed things up a bit, then just poach sliced chicken breast for 5 minutes.
You could also use leftover roast chicken.

Ingredients

For the shotpot
1 splash vegetable oil
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 bird's-eye chili, finely sliced
0.5 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped
2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander stalks
400 ml chicken stock
150 ml coconut cream
1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
1 lime, zest only
2 boneless chicken thighs

For the rest
100 g flat rice noodles
50 g mangetout*, roughly torn
1 good handful of coriander leaves
2 lime wedges

*Snow peas and sugar snap peas first come into season in April, and are best in July and August. Both are often referred to as mangetout (or mange tout), but technically mangetout is another name for snow peas. Ordinary peas come into season a little later.

Directions
Heat a little oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook the shallot, garlic, chili, lemongrass, ginger and coriander stalks for 1 minute, stirring.
Add the stock, coconut cream, fish sauce and lime zest, and bring to a gentle boil. Now add the chicken and simmer quietly for 30 minutes.
Remove the chicken. Continue to simmer the stock until reduced to about 200ml/7fl oz/generous ¾ cup.
Divide between two jars, cool and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Shred the cooled chicken. Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, then run under cold water until cool.
Divide between two heatproof vessels, along with the mangetout and shredded chicken. Cover and chill for up to 2 days.
When you're ready to serve, tip the ShotPot over the noodles, then pour over 300ml/10fl oz/1¼ cup boiling water.
Stir and leave to stand for 1 minute. Garnish with coriander and a squeeze of lime.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
Mum used to give me Chicken noodle soup when I was sick, it was the packet kind though. I really enjoyed it. I will have to try this one, it sounds delicious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom