Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Most of my knitting for family and friends, all of whom are busy and most of whom have allergies. So I knit most of my stuff from either cotton or acrylic yarn, and wash and dry it in the machine as I know that is in all likelihood how the recipients will wash it. That way I know it will hold up.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
courier770 said:
Using detergent is not advised, especially for natural fibers. Wool shampoo's or human shampoo is better. Woolite is about the worst thing to use, it's simply a milder detergent.
When I grow up I am going to be smart like courier! LOL. Seriously, you are one of those people like my son who just seem to have all the answers to everything. Just glad you are here on KP.

Had no idea that Woolite wasn't a good idea. Off to the store for groceries AND something better to wash my delicate woolies in.

Thanks again, Courier for your great sharing of knowledge. Perhaps you and my son can get together and form a "think tank" of some sorts.... giggle.

BTW... USUALLY I display a very sarcastic sense of humor and it comes through in my posts. NO sarcasm here. I am impressed with those who store volumes of knowledge.... I can't even remember what I had for breakfast! REALLY!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Do you ladies give laundry instructions when you giver a project as a gift? just getting good enough to consider giving things as gifts.

ksemisch

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I only use acrylic yarns and wash in the machine on a cool cycle with regular washing powder and fabric conditioner.
If I'm giving it as a gift - I will include a ball-band from the yarn I used with cleaning instructions on it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The Woolite caution is true. It's not ideal for fine washable knitted items, regardless. Eucalan is good for hand washing fine yarns, especially animal fibers. I also agree about the dishwashing liquids. In any case, unless the instructions say not to, make sure you rinse well in cool water.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was going to ask this question too - I never thought of using shampoo, what a great idea! I have heard of Eucalan, where do you buy it? I got some samples of Soak when I ordered yarn from Nordic Mart, all you do is add it to the water, soak your knitted item in it, then lay flat to dry - no rinsing! I have done one sweater in it so far, and it came out great.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on washing items knitted with silk yarn. I have some Silk Wash from Winter Silks that I think will work okay for washing my knitted silk items, I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
When I give a gift of something I've knitted, I usually put the label from the yarn I used with the instructions on how to take care of it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unfortunately I have way too many delicate/hand wash items so I usually wash everything on the 'Delicate' cycle with a powder that I get from the Nordstrom lingerie department. I can't remember the name/brand but it's exclusive to Nordstrom and smells wonderful and is great for anything delicate. I was always told Woolite was bad for your clothes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use a soap called Soak. You can find it at your LYS, some lingerie stores, or online. It's not cheap, but you don't need a lot and it lasts forever. It is very gentle and you do not even need to rinse it out, though I always do. If giving a hand-knitted gift, I usually include a small bottle as part of the gift, along with washing instructions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom