Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Great historical pictures. My grandfather did beautiful embroidery, and I wonder now if he may have learned the skill in WWI. He was always working on something. I don't remember him ever just sitting. Most of his work was given as gifts.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
In the picture in the first article, the man in the center appears to be ‘looming’.

My mother learned how to knit during WWII from the NYC Red Cross. She taught me. I have recounted this here, before, but .... she always said that her knitting was so bad that she felt sorry for the soldiers who had to wear her socks and sweater: “Somewhere there is a man with a twisted arm or foot from my crooked knitting”.
She also said that when she brought her completed sweaters in, the worker there would ‘tsk, tsk’ and proceed to take the pieces apart and resew them. That being said, she learned her lessons .... my mom put sweaters together so flawlessly that if I didn’t know better, I would have sworn they were knitted in one piece. I often brought her my failed attempts to get sleeves in without a shoulder lump and although she tried to teach me, I never mastered it. But she put them together beautifully.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Thank you for posting these articles, they are very interesting.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom