Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I can see I'm going to spend too much time on this site--our small town set up a place to meet every Mon. (LIBRARY OR HOMES)to teach this gift of crocheting and knitting to gals who wanted to learn--we have good fellowship as well as many scarfs that have been made, etc. It is good therapy--I first crocheted 18-20 years ago; quit as I couldn't finish the afgan I was making for my daughter's wedding anniversary;we lost her to an auto accident on Mother's Day 1992--every time I looked at the afgan, I couldn't finish it--until last year-- I'll be giving it to my grandaughter who is named after her. Right now i'm knitting hats, got any patterns for cute hats???Thanks

I am touched by your afghan story. You and your granddaughter are so lucky to have such a bond!

You might try looking at ravelry.com for hat ideas... there are ideas and patterns for every kind of yarn! When you have narrowed your search somewhat, I imagine that the good Knitting paradise Denizens will have lots of great suggestions!!

Cheers!
Vermontmary

Welcome,
I am sorry for the loss of your daughter.

But to have a granddaughter to pass on your project to, awesome, a miracle.
Enjoy every minute you can spend with her.
God Bless You and your family.
Linda

Hi Louise,
Well Granny get started on the blanket. Haha
Do you get to see the girls often?
My grands are out in MO and it has been 2 1/2 yrs since I've seen them. To them I am just a box of stuff someone sends out to them. I never know if they even appreciate my knitted projects. But I keep doing it, more for me I guess then them.

Have a MOST awesome day,
Linda

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Good morning Linda..lucky for us, the grankids live about an hour away..we're in IL, so i'm closer to your grankids than you!! thats too bad..but with school activities, scouts ,lessons etc.plus our activities, it sometime gets to be a month or so that we don't get to see them...keep sending those pkgs.--thats love!!! LouiseM

Ah the windy city. And this year yo guyshad some snow. Sorry it wouldn't all fit here. We were buried Central Park NYC got 19" in one day. There was a guy on skiis walking through the park What a hoot.

Yes, I keep sending the boxes. Just sent jester hats for the 9 and 6 yr old. Dave at 14, could care less unless it's cash or a gift card. He just had his appendix out. That was a rough night for me. So far away. All I wanted to do was hug him and hold his hand. I think he would have allowed it. He was in pain and drugged. Otherwise he is too cool for any PDA.

I am thinking of making the granddaughter a simple little vest for spring for her and her BFF. Now I have to make things in pairs. But what are Grannys for.

Nice chatting with you, Linda

Hi Mary! So sorry for your loss. I'm sure your granddaughter will be honored to have her mother's afghan.

I, too, am looking for hat patterns. I'm doing charity knitting for children who have lost a military parent. I'm thinking of patterns for Red Heart worsted weight yarn or at least yarn that's machine washable for easy care.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
hi kay--I like this idea of knitting for Military Kids--could you send info on the address, or just ask the local VFW?? Also like the idea of knitting for cancer victims, but hate to bring that subject up as one of our gals is being treated now for pancreatic cancer--too late for surgery and no hope of recovery--only thro' Jesus healing power--which we are all expecting...thanks..LouiseM

I'm so glad others want to help with this project. Here is the email that I received with information about knitting hats for military children. God Bless You!
`````````````
HI everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick update about the hat project that Central Ohio Binky Patrol has adopted. I have talked with my contact at Snowball Express and she is so excited about us working on hats for them! They need approximately 600 and I told her we’d try as hard as we could to supply that many. In case anyone didn’t see the original message I sent, Snowball Express is an organization that helps children of fallen military heroes. Every year they have a convention in December as a way of allowing the children from all over the country of gathering together and having fun. It is our goal to supply each of those children with a hat of their own. The ages of children attending are between 5 and 18 years old so be sure to make hats in those sizes. You can use any style, pattern, material/yarn, and colors to make the hats. Have fun with it! I have updated our website – http://centralohiobinkypatrol.weebly.com – with more information and some great pattern sites. As soon as I’m finished processing all the boxes I have from while I was in Florida (awesome, by the way!) I will be adding a count of hats received. I will be continuing to update that number as more hats are delivered. Please feel free to send hats as you are able from now until about October or so. I’d love to have our goal met by the end of October which will give me time to get everything shipped and for them to get everything ready for their convention in December. Six hundred hats are a lot of hats but with all my amazing volunteers I feel like it is actually a possibility!! Thanks everyone and please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Bye,

Lisa Woodruff

Central Ohio Binky Patrol

640 Evans Street

Newark, OH 43055

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom