Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
32,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still can't get my head wrapped around what happened to me at the super market Tuesday.

I live in a nice community and the market I prefer is clean, well maintained, and has wonderful selections. I have always felt safe in the store and the parking lot. I am just a few weeks past hip replacement surgery, started driving on my own last week, and park in a handicapped space for the meanwhile. And yes, my hair has turned mostly white.

After I made my purchases, paid, and went to the parking lot, I opened my car and started loading bags on the back seat. The cart was against my back bumper so it would not roll away. I emptied the cart, closed the car, and returned the empty cart to the cart corral. When I got home, one package was not in the car. I called the store to report the missing package, and it was not at the check out station. I knew it would not be, as I remember putting it in the cart first because it was a bunch of memorial candles in a carton and I was able to load lighter stuff on top of it. The lady at Customer Service took my name and number and said they would watch for it to be turned in.

Called the next day, and no luck. It seems that when my back was turned to put frozen food into the cooler on the floor, someone picked up the bag and kept going. Can you believe how classless that person would have to be. Maybe they thought the shape of the package indicated that I had bought wine. Hope they like the taste of 18 little wax candles. Bummed, because they were on sale at a wonderful price.

The people at the store were gracious enough to credit my card back the value of what was stolen, which was unexpected and really not their responsibility. I was told if I made a police report, the surveillance company would check the tape. Wasn't worth if for a $10 bag of stuff. The local cops are great, but they have traffic issues, druggies, and big shop lifting cases like hundreds of dollars of clothes taken from Victoria's Secret and the Limited.

But the idea of someone doing something like that in the late morning at a handicapped space is just creepy.

It is a heads up to all of us to keep our purses on our shoulders snugged against our sides and not take our eyes off our shopping carts.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
That really is pathetic.... I doubt they had any care what was inside, just saw an opportunity to grab something. The store was very gracious..... I've had a similar thing with two of our local stores and was so greatful... Not the theft, just me forgetting something on the cart or the bagger giving me something that was not mine..... The stores have been great. It's so nice to run into real customer service these days.....

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
After working for 30 years for Criminal Defense attorneys, nothing surprises me. You are safe and I'm glad that they just took the bag and didn't hurt you. It's a sad thing that is going on in our world now. It's almost like the world tilted and everything is a little off. I'm sorry that happened to you. We cannot be too careful.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Safety Tips:

While riding in the car; if you drive with your windows open or doors unlocked slip the seatbelt through the handle(s) of your purse when you fasten it. No one can reach in and grab your purse.

While shopping, do the same thing with the child's safety belt in the grocery cart. Slip it through your purse handles and fasten securely. A thief trying to grab your purse will have a rough time trying to get out of the store dragging a grocery cart!

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
I am glad you were not harmed. A similar thing happened to my mother. She was putting her groceries away in the trunk when a car stopped, a guy got out of the back and rushed her and took her purse, then got back in the car and it sped off. She, too, was in the handicap spot. She was an easy target, since she was frail and using a cane. People don't care, they just want to be quick, steal something (purse or package) and then see what they can get out of it.

I drive a four door pick up truck. When putting the groceries in the truck, I put my purse on the floor of the driver's side and then lock the doors. The keys are with me (in my pocket, if no pockets they go in my bra) and all doors are locked except the one I'm loading the groceries into. This has worked well for me for years.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I would've got them to check the tape, on the principle of catching them so they'll think twice before doing it to the next person.

Consequences.

My cousin's wife left her plastic grocery bag on top of the push-chair outside the public lavatory, and came out to find it had been carried off. She hopes the person was happy with the crappy nappy.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Good tip that : )

We will be targeted more as we appear old and feeble and female - it's the law of the jungle. Thank you all for alerting me, and I'll tell my friends too.
SharonK1 said:
Safety Tips:

While riding in the car; if you drive with your windows open or doors unlocked slip the seatbelt through the handle(s) of your purse when you fasten it. No one can reach in and grab your purse.

While shopping, do the same thing with the child's safety belt in the grocery cart. Slip it through your purse handles and fasten securely. A thief trying to grab your purse will have a rough time trying to get out of the store dragging a grocery cart!

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
I feel bad for your loss but still nothing is more important than you.
When I shop I most times have one or more of my Grandchildren with me. First thing to go into the car are them. Too often you also hear of children being snatched from shopping carts. Plus I too lock the doors once they are belted in. Then I can put away the bags.
Be careful out there. Yes I think the whole world shifted a great deal from all the activity with earthquakes, volcano's and tsunami. Just so strange for a few years.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
MarilynKnits said:
I was told if I made a police report, the surveillance company would check the tape. Wasn't worth if for a $10 bag of stuff. The local cops are great, but they have traffic issues, druggies, and big shop lifting cases like hundreds of dollars of clothes taken from Victoria's Secret and the Limited.

But the idea of someone doing something like that in the late morning at a handicapped space is just creepy.
I, too, would fill out a police report. The value of the items isn't what's important; the police want to know what is happening in their community. If you call the non-emergency number, the dispatcher will send a police officer to your house to take a report. If you file a report you could be helping the police find someone who does more than steal groceries.

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
tryalot said:
you should tell the police, otherwise how are they to know what is going on in their domain? This may be happening regularly but if people don't report it nothing will be done.
I agree, and it may stop it from happening to someone else and to an incident that may evolve into more than just snatching a bag.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Glad you are safe! We bought a set of car covers at an out of town store along with other stuff. We came home without the seat covers. I called the store and they did check the video and said it was loaded in the cart which my husband did..we apparently left it in our cart which was never returned to the customer service and we were never reimbursed.
I buckle my purse in the shopping cart's belt.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
While we can lament the few "rotten apples" in the barrel, I've found, in the course of my life, many more who are honest.

Over thirty five years ago I was shopping in a mall with my sleeping infant son in his stroller. Somewhere along the way my son kicked off one of his little leather moccasins (gift from a friend)...a woman ran all over the mall searching for an infant missing a moccasin! Another time I came out of the grocery store with a cart filled with "stuff" and a fresh baked pizza in a box. For some stupid reason I put the pizza box on top of my car as I loaded the bags into the back seat..then forgot about the box..until a man in a pick up truck blocked me near the exit of the parking lot...to tell me about the rapidly cooling pizza on the roof of my car!

The "good guys" really do outnumber the bad guys...just remember that!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I carry a big, loud dog with me, most of the time..unless it is to hot. I had my truck broke into right after I bought it, not even 2 hrs old, and somethings stolen, the police found the stuff, and the only thing gone was the 20.oo...that's when I started carrying a dog. She rides in the front of my truck, and I leave a window cracked for her and fresh water. She doesn't go if it is hot, because I would rather lose stuff than her to the heat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I lived in Central New Jersey (Bridgewater) for 25 years and find this sad and surprising. Sorry to hear about this, but I would suggest you have the store check the tape - I know I would be curious. Glad they got nothing more than candles, laugh is on them. Remember, as my mom used to say, "Every dog has his day"!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I cant tell you how many times I have seen ladies shopping in the grocery store with their purse wide open and unattented to. Just asking for someone to steal their wallet.
When we first moved to Las Vegas, and the the machines spit out coins, I saw a lady have a whole bucket stolen,the man acted like he was tieing his shoe and took off with her bucket, she did not have a clue her bucket was gone till the guy next to her told her. From that day on I have never carried a purse, if it does not fit in my credit card holder I dont need it.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
SharonK1 said:
Safety Tips:

I agree with you. I will tell you a funny story. I had my handbag just thrown on the front seat of the car and was pulling out of a parking space, waiting for the traffic to clear before I joined the stream of traffic on the road. A woman crossed in front of my car, looked in through the window and obviously saw my purse. She tried to open the door, which was locked, but she tried a couple of times. What she failed to see was my mini hand held wool combs sitting on the front seat next to my purse. I just picked one up and made a raking movement with it. Boy did she beat a hasty retreat. Those of you who use wool combs know what I mean. If she had grabbed my purse I would have been unable to do anything about it. I would not have been able to leave my car half in and half our of the parking space, and by the time I unbuckled the seat belt, got out of the car, locked the door, etc etc, she would have been long gone. For those of you who are not familiar with wool combs, picture a hand held device with a couple of rows of 6" to 8" nails embedded in it, with at least a dozen nails in each row. I have thought of carrying the combs in the car at all times, but then there is the law ragarding 'going armed in a public place'. It is illegal to carry a knife on public transport here, so imagine my sons panic when he realised he had left his carry bag with all his cooking knives on the train. He was studying a hospitality course at the time, but the railway person who found them realised what they were, that they belonged to a student from the hospitality course.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom