Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm stuck. Looking at patterns, they give the number of stitches it takes to create the pattern, then they give a number after the + sign, say 10 + 2. If I am casting on for 5 repeats of the pattern, 50 stitches, what do I do with the 2?? Is is 12 for the pattern, making it 60, is it just 2, for 52, or is it 4, 2 stitches on either side of the pattern for 14 stitches per pattern or 54 cast on stitches.

I've checked the books I have, and they all assume that I am smarter then I am, cause I can't figure it out. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Irish Lori said:
Hi, I'm stuck. Looking at patterns, they give the number of stitches it takes to create the pattern, then they give a number after the + sign, say 10 + 2. If I am casting on for 5 repeats of the pattern, 50 stitches, what do I do with the 2?? Is is 12 for the pattern, making it 60, is it just 2, for 52, or is it 4, 2 stitches on either side of the pattern for 14 stitches per pattern or 54 cast on stitches.

I've checked the books I have, and they all assume that I am smarter then I am, cause I can't figure it out. Thanks for your help!
this is the shorthand way of telling you their little formula so that YOU can decide for yourself how wide to make something or how to add one 'pattern' for a bit more room..... your example is 10 + 2....so, 32, 42 or 102 are all correct for this pattern...the pattern is not 50....it's 5 x 10 + 2....52....

and if it is:
multiple of 4 + 1.....8 +1 = 9, 12 +1 =13, 40 + 1 + 41....don't worry about what they are gonna do with that extra st...when you work the first row, you will find out it is correct at the end of the 52....in fact...if i was making a scarf with a pattern that needed 10 + 2 and I wanted it to be approx 50 wide....I would use the 52 to get the pattern and then i would add 3--5 sts on BOTH sides for my borders (being really careful to knit my border sts and then begin the pattern on st 1 of the 52)...they are JUST talking about what makes the pattern portion come out right...

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches.htm

here is an example of a st dictionary that gives you lots of patterns and uses this method all the time...this is what makes it easy to design or change designs easily...good luck

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((((( The 10 + @2 goes like this:

Multiply the number of repeated patten stitches = 10
x the number of repeats you want = 5; Total = 50 CO/s.

Get that done then add the + number no matter what it is. In your case:

10 x 5 = 50 + 2 = 52 CO sts.

Knowing the multiple will let you more easily widen a pattern. Multiples can be sometimes be determined when it's not stated in the pattern by merely looking at a FO and perhaps in an enlarged pic.

Enjoy & HAND!!
~~~~~~~~~~
ble s
Irish Lori said:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does that mean I would put the two (or whatever number) at the end of the work? Or do I split them between the start and the finish? I don't think that can be right, because i think I saw some patterns with a odd number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gosh, and here I thought the formula was (50+2)x2 which would have given me 54. But that's a clunky way to reach 54, isn't it? Thank you so much for clarifying that the added number is a stand-alone added number for the entire pattern!
You've saved me a lot of frustration, and I thank you.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
The +2 is added at the end of the cast on stitches.
It is there to set up the actual pattern stitches.
The +2 is only applied to the first row.
The number after the plus sign is added only once,
after you have figured out how many multiplies of 10 you need.

You will see this alot if you are thumbing through a pattern stitch book.

When you see this for a crochet pattern,
it can also be there to accomodate for the "skip first 2 chains" OR "sc in third ch from hook" type of wording,
-in the pattern set up row.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much. I've made little samples of the different stitches, just to see how they worked, but never tried to do a project because of those pesky numbers. I never did like math! Now I can jump in and go for it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lori,

You must work the repeats of your pattern then add the 2 sts. this must be done on every row of your project or your design will not work out correctly.

Try a swatch for a couple of repeats and not do the "+2". Your design won't be correct.

I had a friend ask me about this same issue a few months ago. You aren't alone as this can be confusing for inexperienced knitters or those who have never done a pattern requiring the extra st/sts. Good luck

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
kgaither said:
deemail, what a perfect explaination. It is sometimes really hard to explain things in the knitting world and you did a perfect job explaining and providing examples! Great Job!
thx...sometimes i hesitate to try to type too much...it is so easy when you can really see it....and of course, this time e.ridenh and I were giving her the same info at the same time...so between the two of us, i hope it is clear....we've all been thru these probs and just want to help another knitter enjoy our hobby the way we do....

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi Deemail Thanks for the info, you can never have too many explanations, Everything helps to get the picture in your head.

I am not to sure about enjoying knitting more. Any more fun and I think it's against the law in at least 17 states, and frowned upon in the rest.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Irish Lori said:
hi Deemail Thanks for the info, you can never have too many explanations, Everything helps to get the picture in your head.

I am not to sure about enjoying knitting more. Any more fun and I think it's against the law in at least 17 states, and frowned upon in the rest.
this helps me to feel just a little bit 'naughty' in my old age...teehee...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom