Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Because I have to save myself from myself, I finish one project completely before I start the next. I have quite a few waiting for me. I also rarely make things that need to get sewn together as I really don’t like to sew. I have been known to wait a few days before blocking something-for some reason I also hate to block. And weaving in ends is not a preferred activity 🤣

Always finish one project before I start another...Like to see them sewn up, buttons on and blocked before starting the next one and that includes afghans ....maybe I have a problem :unsure::unsure:

Always finish one project before I start another...Like to see them sewn up, buttons on and blocked before starting the next one and that includes afghans ....maybe I have a problem :unsure::unsure:
In that case, I've got the same problem 🙃
Although while making an afghan, I might take break once in a while and whip up a hat or something🌼

Had I a sewing machine set up and those zipper replacements at hand, I’d do them.
My mother used to save up zipper replacement jobs (on hers, my little sisters’s, and my stepfather’s clothes) for me to do when I visited.
My sewing machine is always set up. In what is probably meant to be a dining room I have a banquet table that houses one of my sewing machines (I have 4) and a server, as well as clear boxes of notions. Under the table are plastic totes of patterns and fabric. I have fabric covers on the machines to keep dust off when I'm not using them.

When I set out to make something I'm always in a hurry to see it
completed. I never used to have any WIP...until lately. The reason
is always the same. As my project is coming along I realize it's not
looking the way I had envisioned. Then starts my quest to alter the
pattern to make it what I had in mind. When that fails, I lose all
interest in completing it, knowing I won't be happy with the results.
So...now I have a few projects that are patiently waiting for me to
frog them, so the yarn can used for a more satisfying project. I
also never really had much of a stash, you can well imagine how
this has helped rectify that!o_O:ROFLMAO:

Guess I'm weird. I start a project and I finish it. If I'm using multiple colors, I normally will weave those ends in as I go. When knitting sweaters, I always sew them together when I finish knitting and, if it's a cardigan, I sew on the buttons.

The only time I deviate from the "finish what you start" is knitting afghans. If the weather gets hot, I'll put the afghan away until cooler weather.

Guess I like to see things finished before I go on to the next project.

I have been known to have more than one thing started, but usually end up finishing both before starting anything else.
I am also a lefty and find sewing seams together is hardest part. What method do you use? The videos on YouTube seem to all be done by right handed people.

I can't fathom coping with life if I could only have one project at a time. I need options, in every facet of my life but mainly my crafting. I get physically ill if I'm down to my last item. I try to have 6-8 going at once and work on at least 3 different ones every day. I also love deadlines, most of my projects are tests (100+ per year) and 100% are finished well before the deadline.

In that case, I've got the same problem 🙃
Although while making an afghan, I might take break once in a while and whip up a hat or something🌼
That’s how I used to do, some forty-odd years ago. Then came the internet. I’m doomed!!! :devilish:

My sewing machine is always set up. In what is probably meant to be a dining room I have a banquet table that houses one of my sewing machines (I have 4) and a server, as well as clear boxes of notions. Under the table are plastic totes of patterns and fabric. I have fabric covers on the machines to keep dust off when I'm not using them.
I think I may be down to four sewing machines, but none has been used since we moved here in 1998.

I just use a whip stitch to sew seams together. Sometimes I'll use a mattress stitch, but much prefer the easier, quicker whip stitch.
After seeing big, beautiful, afghans either hung out to dry or donated to secondhand stores - all with the whip-stitched seams coming undone - I began collecting alternate means of seaming.
My collection: Jessica-Jean

After seeing big, beautiful, afghans either hung out to dry or donated to secondhand stores - all with the whip-stitched seams coming undone - I began collecting alternate means of seaming.
Perhaps those people didn't know how to do a whip stitch properly. I've never had one of mine come undone.

Perhaps those people didn't know how to do a whip stitch properly. I've never had one of mine come undone.
Umm … How can one mess up whip stitch?
The few I’ve ‘rescued’ from secondhand stores had only a break in the yarn used to whip stitch. I’m fine with using whip stitch on small items, but - in my observation - it’s not best on adult sized blankets/bedspreads.

I solve the majority of the seaming issue by not needing seams. I convert patterns into seamless whenever possible and pick stitches up for parts like hoods and collars rather that sewing on separate pieces.
It's not the actual seaming I dislike, I just don't like seams bulking up my pieces. When necessary, I join modular afghans by crochet.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom