Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago my DH and I were watching TV, I was in my knitting nest with many WIPs scattered around my chair. I love to make that no-seam yoke baby sweaters and am too impatient to wait until one is finished before starting another (just have to see how the yarn "works up"), you know. Right now I have at least 6 of them going, the yoke is done so now they're in the mindless "knitting around the body stage".

Suddenly something happened in my head. I said (it felt as though I had screamed it), "Ollie, I can't think!" I saw swirls, as I remember it. I heard him asking me to do all those things we are to ask to determine if someone has had a stroke. I felt as though I my entire body was made of lead, very heavy, even my eyelids so couldn't open my eyes. I hear everything he said and could answer but in a very weak voice and it was v e r y h a r d w o r k to answer. DH said he would help me to stand up so we could go to the hospital. I just wanted to sleep but I knew I needed help.
DH called 911 in less than 4 minutes the ambulance and the fire rescue squad was there. I heard 2 womens voices (and I think there were 6 men). I could answer them but very weakly and slowly. I was put into the ambulance, taken to hospital, all that. I feel fine now but it was very scary for both of us. I think it was a small stroke.
What was funny was....you know how the yarn gets tangled around your ankle sometimes so it goes with you are you try to leave the room? Well, the paramedics got tangled up the same way and had quite a time with it because several of them were kind in a circle around my chair.
I spent last night untangling yarn and half-done sweaters. Wish I could have seen them disengaging themselves from my WIPs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,991 Posts
I wish you will never see that... and mostly never need to see paramedics again...
I guess it would be funny, if it did not have me that scared - so sorry, fear ate my sense of humor - I'm just happy you are better now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Ann, Ann Ann...my goodness. I do see the humor in your story and can envision those 6 guys all caught up in your sweaters and yarn...LOL It truly is funny adding to your well written story here. On a more serious note: It is also a scary story...not a good feeling you had. Do take care Ann.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SueLD said:
Ann, Ann Ann...my goodness. I do see the humor in your story and can envision those 6 guys all caught up in your sweaters and yarn...LOL It truly is funny adding to your well written story here. On a more serious note: It is also a scary story...not a good feeling you had. Do take care Ann.
Thank you. And yes, it was very scary. My DH said I went stiff as a board and shook for a few seconds...that must have been after I cried out that I couldn't think. I knew something was happening to my brain. A CT scan was made of my head but, as the old joke goes, there was nothing in there.
I've never had anything like it before and what is scary is wondering if it will ever happen again and wondering what would have happened if my DH wasn't there. We are together a lot but he is a docent at the zoo, helps out at church, goes to football and hockey games..while I stay home alone, happy as a clam in my knitting nest. One can't live with fear of being alone so we just will go on the way we've been doing and hope it doesn't happen again.
But I do wish I had a picture of those big guys trying to get untangled and all the little baby cardigans grabbing at their feet. Gotta see the funny side.....'cuz there IS a funny side in any situation!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
I can see the funny side and I hope you are ok now.

I bet they weren't too happy though I think they would have been mighty p...d off trying to save someone's life but getting tangled in the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,217 Posts
I know exactly what you went thru, I had a very similar episode happen to me 5 years ago while helping my sister at a church table top sale. It was caused totally thru stress and nothing medical, so I made a full recovery. If I hadn't been helping her, I would have been at home all by myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts
A small suggestion. Could you possibly get a life line?? I had one for my mother, I contacted a local hospital and they gave me the number to call. I think hers was 35.00 a month. Even living here taking care of her, I kept it. In the event I couldn't get to the phone because I was assisting her, I could push the button for help. If you are alone this at least gives you the comfort of knowing, by the push of a single button, weather you are able to verbally ask for help or not, someone will respond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Love your attitude, Ann! Glad to hear you're okay. My Mom always told me that a good sense of humor and seeing the funny side of situations was a necessity of life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,567 Posts
Wow, Ann, I thought you were going to tell us that the thought of all those WIP's surrounding you set your head to spinning.
I'm so glad your husband was there and that things worked out so well. Not counting the tangled up yarn, of course. I bet those paramedics could tell some tales of other things they've gotten tangled up in.
So glad you're OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Ann DeGray said:
SueLD said:
Ann, Ann Ann...my goodness. I do see the humor in your story and can envision those 6 guys all caught up in your sweaters and yarn...LOL It truly is funny adding to your well written story here. On a more serious note: It is also a scary story...not a good feeling you had. Do take care Ann.
Thank you. And yes, it was very scary. My DH said I went stiff as a board and shook for a few seconds...that must have been after I cried out that I couldn't think. I knew something was happening to my brain. A CT scan was made of my head but, as the old joke goes, there was nothing in there.
I've never had anything like it before and what is scary is wondering if it will ever happen again and wondering what would have happened if my DH wasn't there. We are together a lot but he is a docent at the zoo, helps out at church, goes to football and hockey games..while I stay home alone, happy as a clam in my knitting nest. One can't live with fear of being alone so we just will go on the way we've been doing and hope it doesn't happen again.
But I do wish I had a picture of those big guys trying to get untangled and all the little baby cardigans grabbing at their feet. Gotta see the funny side.....'cuz there IS a funny side in any situation!
LOL You are funny! Yes, good to find the 'funny side'. Hubby is a busy man...is good for him. I too enjoy the yarn most these days. Take Care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Debbystitchknit said:
Glad you are better and hope it never happens again. Do you wear one of those life alert buttons, they are very helpful?
No, I've never experienced this before. I couldn't have used one, anyway...my entire body felt like lead. I wasn't paralyzed, just everything too heavy to move it.

I do wonder what would have happened if I had been alone...whether the feeling would go away by itself and would I remember what had happened?

Let's knit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pocahontas said:
Wow, Ann, I thought you were going to tell us that the thought of all those WIP's surrounding you set your head to spinning.
I'm so glad your husband was there and that things worked out so well. Not counting the tangled up yarn, of course. I bet those paramedics could tell some tales of other things they've gotten tangled up in.
So glad you're OK.
I've told my husband that if I ever fall in the bathtub not to call anyone. He thought I meant not to call my son, DIL , neighbor or friend so he assure me he would not call them, he would call 911.

I said, "I said don't call anyone! Take whatever valuables you want, walk out the door and set fire to the house!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scrubbienut said:
Love your attitude, Ann! Glad to hear you're okay. My Mom always told me that a good sense of humor and seeing the funny side of situations was a necessity of life.
Your mom was right. I really think it's at the top of the list! I have been through some pretty tragic things in my 78 years but humor gets me through. After I'm gone no one is gonna talk about what a great housekeeper I was.....I didn't make the most wonderful pies or have a breathtaking garden. But I hope they'll laugh about the things I've laughed about and tell funny stories about Granny Annie.

Actually, I'm sure they will....because they do now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,255 Posts
Glad to hear it was not terribly serious, and while it is not funny...it would have been to see the paramedics tangled up. I had a similar experience many years ago, but it turned out to be seizures that were caused by stress. Medication has kept it from happening again. Take care...and hopefully you won't go through something like this again.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ann DeGray said:
A couple of days ago my DH and I were watching TV, I was in my knitting nest with many WIPs scattered around my chair. I love to make that no-seam yoke baby sweaters and am too impatient to wait until one is finished before starting another (just have to see how the yarn "works up"), you know. Right now I have at least 6 of them going, the yoke is done so now they're in the mindless "knitting around the body stage".

Suddenly something happened in my head. I said (it felt as though I had screamed it), "Ollie, I can't think!" I saw swirls, as I remember it. I heard him asking me to do all those things we are to ask to determine if someone has had a stroke. I felt as though I my entire body was made of lead, very heavy, even my eyelids so couldn't open my eyes. I hear everything he said and could answer but in a very weak voice and it was v e r y h a r d w o r k to answer. DH said he would help me to stand up so we could go to the hospital. I just wanted to sleep but I knew I needed help.
DH called 911 in less than 4 minutes the ambulance and the fire rescue squad was there. I heard 2 womens voices (and I think there were 6 men). I could answer them but very weakly and slowly. I was put into the ambulance, taken to hospital, all that. I feel fine now but it was very scary for both of us. I think it was a small stroke.
What was funny was....you know how the yarn gets tangled around your ankle sometimes so it goes with you are you try to leave the room? Well, the paramedics got tangled up the same way and had quite a time with it because several of them were kind in a circle around my chair.
I spent last night untangling yarn and half-done sweaters. Wish I could have seen them disengaging themselves from my WIPs.
When they asked what my birthdate was I said, April 29, 1901" My husband said, "Oh, she knows better. She always says that. She says that's how she can tell if they're really listening and paying attention."

In the ambulance they asked if I knew what day it was. I said, "Friday. Obama is President and Florida is still counting." I spoke so softly and slowly but I wanted them to know I was fully aware.

In spite of joking around (which is simply the only way I've always been) I've said special prayers of thanks for all the doctors, nurses, health care givers and ambulance drivers.

We were retired and lived on a lake in northern MN for 18 years. In an area called "the dead zone" because the nearest doctor or hospital was 50 miles away. We had some health issues which made us realize it was time to get closer to good health care. We moved to Omaha 4 years ago. Two weeks after we moved into our house my DH had a stroke ( he's fine now), he's had 2 bladder cancer surgeries ( cancer free for 3 years now), cataract surgeries. I've had both hips replaced (if you need it, have it done!), some crazy female stuff that should have been over years ago, needles in my eyes on a pretty regular basis (for macular degeneration)...and just the usual things that age brings along with the senior discount.

I can't say enough for the medical care we've had! Yes, it costs but next time you're in the hospital or even just your doctor's office look around. How much equipment do you see that wasn't there 30 years ago? Even the hand sanitizer on the wall is a recent invention!

We are very blessed to be living in an age when there is treatment for so many of our ailments!

Now go back to your knitting while I climb down from my soapbox!

How
 
1 - 20 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom