Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......All tuckered out and planning a vacation to Denver in late June to get out of Dodge! LOL!

TY to all those who hailed in hints, too for the picnic wedding as I've incorporated many into the day. It looks like I'm under budget for the # we expect to attend and not too much over if we get double.

Our son (in Iraq) and I today worked over his portfolio, I'm glad that's done but the big one was ours as we have reached retirement age. DD's was done, also and the finals for her and our son will be when he gets out of Iraq and she gets up her to get married.

Now it's time to reside the house, get the landscaping redone, hit the veggie and flower gardens and acreage repairs as we have a full farm set up with buildings, etc.

I'm down five lbs since January, usually lose five lbs in the summer acreage work and will not buy wedding or vacation clothes until closer to those dates as I don't know what I'll weigh! LOL!

Thanks for listenin'! @@,./';,./';

Donna Rae

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
((((((( Ooh, Pharoette! TY for your kind words!

Tell me, please: What was your capacity while there in Iraq? Were you military, civilian........? Are you well if I may ask?

And, two years; That's a long deployment should you be military.

Our son got stuck with Bush's extra three months making one year 15 months back on his first deployment in late '07 - late '08. They did pull out 3 weeks early, too and returned 5 December, debriefed and then all went on their block leave. He got home here in Iowa 23 December just in time for the holidays!!

I made him a 'welcome back from Iraq' poster and have used it each time he does return.

As I understand it, things have settled down somewhat in Iraq as you say, too. IEDs are still prevalent, though and our son does go out 30 km/s; 18 miles) to fix Info equipment........they get there to find that someone's e-mail account is not working = irritating. I'd be screening those jobs first).

It would take years, IMHO for a new Democratitic government to make a great difference there and we must not forget the one million displaced citizens. 100,000 + civilians have been killed, too. OMG!

We must not forget, also that 10,000 troops are no longer posed in Kuwait but it's 100,000 now do to the tensions Iran is causing. Re-poise the aircraft carriers, too. DD was on one; USS CVN69; DDE; Norfolk. We got to tour it on Family Day. Now, that's a boat!!

It has been a long time since a troop was lost there if I'm current on the status. I get Mil Pride newsletter and would have seen another had that happened.

We don't watch TV news or listen to radio news anymore. I learned that when I saw the first beheading of an American troop back in '07 or so. I'm not kidding. It was a video, too. I almost threw up.

Write back and tell me about your two years, please. TY!!

HAND!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~~~~~~~
pharoette said:
I wish your son the best in Iraq. I was there for almost two years and returned in May last year. I wonder how things have changed since the government was formed.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(((((((( Ah, I thought you have to be non-military to have been over there so long. It couldn't have been too darned easy for anyone in that awful heat and it's in the 90's now with about 31% humidity.

Dust storms are occuring in Iraq putting dust in the atmosphere so DS can't get through using the MWR phones to our land line; But, he can get through to our cell which usually doesn't work in our aluminum sided house. I Wireless has also put another tower since we bought our phone eight years ago = YEAH!!

I'll look forward to you're private message!

TTYL & HAND!

Donna Rae
~~~~~
pharoette said:
I will send you a private message. My time was ok, I work for State Dept. And the USMilitary has a much more difficult and dangerous job than we do. I admire what they do under unbelievable circumstances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom