Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonderful info...thank you 777cam for posting. I had a questions which may have got lost amongst all the comments.
Should know this but having a chemo brain moment...on the yarn labels under the yarn type what does wpi mean? Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
It's easy to carry a short ruler in my purse. When I'm looking at yarn in a store, I sometimes do this .... and compare it with a chart I keep on my phone that relates wpi and stitches per inch
Often yarns are marked as one kind (worsted, DK, etc.) but wpi is more accurate for determining diameter.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There are so many ways to find out the proper weight. After I inherited 9 tubs of yarn some without labels - I had to figure a way to sort them. The video mentioned above was my favorite and then I came across this booklet offered by Craftsy http://www.craftsy.com/guide/type-of-yarn/23782?_ct=rbew&_ctp=95175
It's free and because my mom had both metric and US needles it helped me alot with all my <mystery> yarns and needles. Hopefully it will help some else too!! The booklet is free and you can read it on screen or print for reference. You need to sign in to get it but I have been with them for years and they don't bombard you with emails. Their classes are the best!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom