Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, my husband and I were watching a program on Palladian(?). It featured Joe Walsh playing with various other musicians. I was completely fascinated by the hat worn by Billy Gibbons (of ZZ Top). It does appear to incorporate I-cords. I would like to try (after New Year's Day) to recreate it. I see there are patterns and even completed hats for sale. This is one I'd like to figure out on my own.
http://paulparksphotography.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Concert-Photos/001_zz_tops_billy_gibbons_std.jpg

Does anyone else have something tugging at you to tackle?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Last year I purchased an issue of Knitsimple and it has some beautiful sweater patterns in it. I have not started anything due to other projects and I am trying to get a little better at knitting. I have only been knitting for a few years. When I first started knitting I tried a simple sweater and it came out okay, but nothing to brag about. I like longer length sweaters, so I know it would take me awhile to make. Maybe after the new year new I will treat myself to some yarn.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Someday I'm going to finish an afghan I started 2 years ago. I think that is first on my tackle list. :)

This thread I started a while back about making quills. There are directions on how to make the quills there. I think you can add more "chains" to each quill to get them as long as you like. http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-67751-1.html

good luck to you! It IS a fun hat!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That will be so helpful! I thought they may be worked similar to those I-cord dangly things from the tops of hats where the I-cords are made to predetermined (or not) lengths then combined into a row. I think my resolution to refrain from cussing will have to be put off until after this hat is done...

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I got a pattern book from the library that had a pattern for a gorgeous Aran sweater made in bright red. I just fell in love with it. I was talking to my SO about all the things I'm knitting for Christmas and he said "When was the last time you knitted something for yourself?" Other than minor things like wrist warmers, it's been years. He asked if there was something I'd like to make and I showed him the pattern. He said for a Christmas gift he'll buy me the yarn and will even go with me to choose it!!!! I think he's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
81,186 Posts
Yarn Tales said:
The other night, my husband and I were watching a program on Palladian(?). It featured Joe Walsh playing with various other musicians. I was completely fascinated by the hat worn by Billy Gibbons (of ZZ Top). It does appear to incorporate I-cords. I would like to try (after New Year's Day) to recreate it. I see there are patterns and even completed hats for sale. This is one I'd like to figure out on my own.
http://paulparksphotography.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Concert-Photos/001_zz_tops_billy_gibbons_std.jpg

Does anyone else have something tugging at you to tackle?
Too many things to list are calling to me to make them!

I've seen a way of making those 'tails' or 'twists' ... somewhere online. I can't remember who - one of the well-known designers - was doing the video. Sorry. If I remember correctly, it involved pulling a stitch's loop up very long, twisting it until it twisted upon itself and then putting the remaining tiny loop back on the needle. On her website she showed it in variegated children's hats, just not so many twizzles at on the hat in your photo.

I'd been looking for means of making fringe-like finishes without actually making real cut fringes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JessicaJean, I thought they looked more tubular than twisted. There's several that look as if they were made similar using the twisted method. On the program, they seem to be pointed like...like a skinny Bugle (the snack). I'm looking for another image of his...with him wearing it that will show more detail. I seen one that was crocheted. It looked like a really good similarity BUT instead of dangly like extensions, the designer used strategically placed, elongated bobbles to pull of the look.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
Jill2 said:
Think Jessica-Jean might be referring to the Cat Bordhi anemone hat.

I've made several....they are great!
You got it! :thumbup:
Here's the link to how to make those tendrils: http://catbordhi.com/videos/knit-as-you-go-tendrils/
I've seen those styled hats...the tendrils on those look more reggae to me.
Great video BTW! Thanks for sharing that one!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I reckon this was more what I was thinking it was like...possibly beginning with 1 st and increasing gradually to give the tube more of a point.

After looking through oodles of images, ya'll may be right about it being from twisted tendrils...bummer...well, no...not really. Maybe I'll just make one as I was thinking it was....

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
My search turned up the phrase "nudu hat." You might find something there (I have long been fascinated by this hat, as I have seen him playing Bones' father on that TV show). If I find a pattern, I'll let you know!

This one is interesting but seems rather intense in method!

http://africankelli.com/de-nudu/

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom