Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed something in a few of the swaps I have recently looked at.

In some of these there when the costs are set. For example - Let’s try to keep the cost under $15.00, this may include your shipping costs. My question is since shipping is between 12 and 14 dollars what does this leave for the swap? That leaves 1 to 3 dollars left to get things for a swap partner.

I have noticed wording like this a few times. By all means I am not knocking anyone. Just thought I would point this out to those who are organizing these great swaps. Some may take it as that and it will result in a disappointed swap partner.

I love the idea of swaps and have really enjoyed the one I was in. I want to thank all of you who do take the time to organize these as they are fun.

·
Registered
18,194 Posts
Our swap,run by mama879, always states that the shipping is extra,that the swap gift should be at least $10..since ours is every other month,I spend more than the $10..shipping always seems to run a bit over $10,as I use the boxes from the USPS,where it's one price no matter what the weight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am glad, I didn't say they all did it. It was just a friendly observation so I thought I would bring it to their attention. Nothing more nothing less. :wink: I don't think by any means it is intentional.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I would like to add that it is important to take pictures of what you have received and post them on the forum. It's fun to see what people send and helps us get more ideas about what to include in our swap packages. I feel that if someone took time to put a swap package together for me it is only good manners to thank them, not only by a PM but on the general forum as well and accompany the thank you with a picture. Unless one does not have a camera, of course....then a nice thank you on the general forum is sufficient. It is still nice to read what was in the swap package.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Ann DeGray said:
I would like to add that it is important to take pictures of what you have received and post them on the forum. It's fun to see what people send and helps us get more ideas about what to include in our swap packages. I feel that if someone took time to put a swap package together for me it is only good manners to thank them, not only by a PM but on the general forum as well and accompany the thank you with a picture. Unless one does not have a camera, of course....then a nice thank you on the general forum is sufficient. It is still nice to read what was in the swap package.
I agree that a PM to thank your swap partner should always be sent as soon as possible! I love seeing all the great things that everyone puts in the packages.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You are correct - don't include heavy items such as a lb. of candy, etc. to keep the cost of shipping down. As well, from my experience, the size of the box factors in as well (with the postal services). Perhaps a small box/envelope is also a way to save on the cost of shipping with the post office.
Maybe a coordinator may state that you are to only include items you have made from yarn or crochet cotton, plus balls of yarn or cotton - this would help keep the costs down, but would also cut out the element of surprise which many people look forward to in preparing/receiving their packages.

I believe that individuals DO choose the swaps in which they participate based on what the swap is to contain, so, if that is the case, people will be satisfied with what they receive.

I do not remember seeing one that said the swap contents including the shipping costs would be limited to $15.00 - but if it was - AND PEOPLE ENTERED IT KNOWING THAT - then I don't see why they would have problems with it. If there was minimal response, then that coordinator would know why and perhaps change the swap rules the next time.

Let"s not deter coordinators from setting up swaps - there is a lot of work involved in organizing swaps and I believe we should appreciate their efforts rather than discourage them.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Has anyone else sent out their swap package to any of the areas with power outages, etc from Sandy and not had a response? Sent out package to MD on 10/31 have not heard from swap buddy or the coordinator if package received. Check USPS tracking, package out for delivery 11/3 (the day of storm)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in no means trying to detour anyone from doing these wonderful swaps. Just trying to prevent hurt feelings down the road.

I as many use if it fits it ships boxes from the post office. That way you can put in what ever you want and don't have to worry about the weight.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
grammacat said:
Has anyone else sent out their swap package to any of the areas with power outages, etc from Sandy and not had a response? Sent out package to MD on 10/31 have not heard from swap buddy or the coordinator if package received. Check USPS tracking, package out for delivery 11/3 (the day of storm)
grammacat,

As a coordinator, I have found that there are some areas that are having difficulty with mail delivery. There were areas of NJ that were closed until this weekend so no mail could get through. Also realize that there are still many areas without power (2 weeks later) and that might prevent someone who did receive a package from getting a thank you to you. You might think if they have no power then they could send a snail mail note but that may not be possible either since many people have had their homes totally destroyed with all their belongings, some of the stores and such are still closed and there is no gas in these areas either. Both NY and NJ are on odd/even gas rationing due to gas shortages so even if someone wanted to go somewhere, they may not be able to get the gas to go. And if they can find gas, if the power is out the ATM does not work so they may not be able to pay for the gas. It is a mess. I live in CT and was spared the rath of Sandy. I am from Staten Island where it is a real mess.

If anyone wants to help, they desperately need coats, hats, gloves and blankets! It has warmed up here a bit but will be cold again before the week is out. I heard today that there are almost 40,000 homes that have to be individually inspected before the power can be turned on due to the salt water that came in.....they are hoping these homes will be back on line by Thanksgiving! Also don't forget that 111 homes were burned to the ground on Breezy Queens NY and that these people are now homeless. We also lost 2 mansions in Greenwich CT to fire.

So if you have a swap partner who lives in the Northeast and you have not heard anything they probably are busy cleaning up after the storm and might still be without power.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ann DeGray said:
Ann,

Pictures are great but they can also make someone feel bad that the package they sent did not measure up. As a coordinator I have had several notes from participants who felt like their packages were less than adequate based upon other pictures they saw on the forum and compared what they had sent to something received by someone else. I no longer post pictures of swaps I receive as I do not want anyone to feel like they should or need to do better. It should be about the thought and it should be a fun thing. A personal message, snail mail note or email from the recipient to the Sender in my book should be sufficient. It does not matter if other people appreciate what was sent as long as the recipient does.

RavinRed

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yes, that is what I thought, no power, no mail. My cousin who lives in the very north western part of NJ just got power tonight.
RavinRed said:
grammacat said:
grammacat,

As a coordinator, I have found that there are some areas that are having difficulty with mail delivery. There were areas of NJ that were closed until this weekend so no mail could get through. Also realize that there are still many areas without power (2 weeks later) and that might prevent someone who did receive a package from getting a thank you to you. You might think if they have no power then they could send a snail mail note but that may not be possible either since many people have had their homes totally destroyed with all their belongings, some of the stores and such are still closed and there is no gas in these areas either. Both NY and NJ are on odd/even gas rationing due to gas shortages so even if someone wanted to go somewhere, they may not be able to get the gas to go. And if they can find gas, if the power is out the ATM does not work so they may not be able to pay for the gas. It is a mess. I live in CT and was spared the rath of Sandy. I am from Staten Island where it is a real mess.

If anyone wants to help, they desperately need coats, hats, gloves and blankets! It has warmed up here a bit but will be cold again before the week is out. I heard today that there are almost 40,000 homes that have to be individually inspected before the power can be turned on due to the salt water that came in.....they are hoping these homes will be back on line by Thanksgiving! Also don't forget that 111 homes were burned to the ground on Breezy Queens NY and that these people are now homeless. We also lost 2 mansions in Greenwich CT to fire.

So if you have a swap partner who lives in the Northeast and you have not heard anything they probably are busy cleaning up after the storm and might still be without power.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
RavinRed said:
Ann DeGray said:
Ann,

Pictures are great but they can also make someone feel bad that the package they sent did not measure up. As a coordinator I have had several notes from participants who felt like their packages were less than adequate based upon other pictures they saw on the forum and compared what they had sent to something received by someone else. I no longer post pictures of swaps I receive as I do not want anyone to feel like they should or need to do better. It should be about the thought and it should be a fun thing. A personal message, snail mail note or email from the recipient to the Sender in my book should be sufficient. It does not matter if other people appreciate what was sent as long as the recipient does.

RavinRed
In Northwoods Gal swap I understood we were supposed to post pictures. Has that changed? I've been in all of them.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ann DeGray said:
RavinRed said:
Ann DeGray said:
Ann,

RavinRed
In Northwoods Gal swap I understood we were supposed to post pictures. Has that changed? I've been in all of them.
Tha't up to Patty....

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RavinRed said:
Ann DeGray said:
Ann,

RavinRed
I feel pictures are important. Some should be upset or hurt if they don't feel their package isn't decent. There are people who join the swaps who have fun putting gift packages together and do spend the limit or close to it. There are others I have herd and seen who just join these to get the great packages that do not put in the same effort into theirs.

That is a shame as it takes the fun out of it. In seeing some of those it will be some time before I join another one. I loved the one I was in but am not going to set myself up for disappointment.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have coordinated only a couple so far and I have already had a few people stop because of that very thing Ravin. I have also had the opposite I have had more than one person complain that they worked hard picking things out to send then when they got their package it was stuff like a child had gotten from their toy box. Whatever that was supposed to mean. I'm afraid I responded a bit harshly to that one. I create a site for people to say thanks and I guess they can add pictures if they like. I might have to rethink it. Might put it out there for the participants. I like that I think it is RavinRed that does a lot of Swaps that tell us to include just certain items so that everyone can participate and everyone is getting and receiving about same amount.

I appreciate all the input on here it helps me become a better hostess/coordinator to Swaps I think.

OregonCaro

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
oregoncaro said:
I have coordinated only a couple so far and I have already had a few people stop because of that very thing Ravin. I have also had the opposite I have had more than one person complain that they worked hard picking things out to send then when they got their package it was stuff like a child had gotten from their toy box. Whatever that was supposed to mean. I'm afraid I responded a bit harshly to that one. I create a site for people to say thanks and I guess they can add pictures if they like. I might have to rethink it. Might put it out there for the participants. I like that I think it is RavinRed that does a lot of Swaps that tell us to
include just certain items so that everyone can participate and everyone is getting and receiving about same amount.

I appreciate all the input on here it helps me become a better hostess/coordinator to Swaps I think.

OregonCaro
Maybe when we pm our thanks to our partners we can ask them if it is ok to post a picture of what they sent, that way they are in control and no feelings will be hurt. Personally my main reasons for being in swaps is because it's fun to interact with participants all across the nation and sometimes the world.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom