Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am brand new at this and it is my first visit. I am starting my third scarf and am afraid to go past the knit and purl stage. Does anyone have something they reccomend to get me into the more difficult stages?? I am afraid to go past the beginners patterns. thanks

· Registered
956 Posts
Hi Never2old2learn :lol:

There are 2 sts in knitting 1 is knit and the 2nd is purl, everything is either an increase or a decrease.

Can you knit and purl on the same row without increasing stitch numbers?
Do you know how to knit 2 sts together at the same time?
Do you know how to do a yarn over?

Don't worry it all sounds scary when you're new but you won't always be new and I'll be watching your back if you want me to.

Grace

· Registered
179 Posts
When I started over 20 years ago, I only knew how to knit and purl, and I found out that I knew much more than I gave myself credit for.
I picked up a simple paper pamphlet , a How To Knit book from the local dime store, and saw how to do an increase stitch, a decrease stitch, a Yo, etc. a buttonhole. and More! So fun!

· Registered
2 Posts
don't be afraid. if what you try doesn't work, you can just undo it and start over, one of the many great things about knitting. if i'm trying a new stitch or pattern, i usually grab some 'test yarn' from my stash that is similar in weight to the yarn i want to use and knit a swatch. i've found it worth the extra time it takes.

check youtube for great videos on knitting slip stitches and so on.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: Thanks for getting back to me. I would like to take on any new project (after I finish the one I am doing). No I cannot do anything else at all. Not add or subtract, knit over or purl over, just nothing!! I am afraid the family will be tired of scarves soon.. Again any help would be welcome. It is nice knowing there are people out there that can help. My neighbor knits but is really basic also.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can knit and purl in the same row but that is all. Cannot do anything else. I have no other stitches conquered at this time. Really am slow and afraid of making mistakes, when I do, can't correct them. Lucky for my family they understand.

· Registered
169 Posts
like grace says only 2 stitches in knitting purl st is back of knit stitch dont be afraid when i learned to knit i thought pulling out stitches was part of knitting haha almost gave up didnt think i could do it one day every thing the teacher said fell into place havent stopped knitting since that was 44 0r45 yrs ago

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for getting back to me, makes me feel better. there is a class I could take but the 2 days aweek they have them I am unable to attend. I will keep going though. It will take me a couple of weeks to finish the scarf I am working on then I will try the next steps. This was a little harder as I have to start some rows with a purl stitch and the other scarves I made started with all knits, but so far it seems to be going ok. Please keep in touch makes me feel better when I read what others are doing. Oh by the way I am from Maryland.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom