Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ripple Afghan is my current nightmare. I have dissected it. I understand that the increases for peaks equal the skipped stitches for the valley. I understand why it should be easy but I can't keep the count right even in a small sample. I don't know why this is happening. I have crocheted more complicated things without this problem and it really is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The Ripple Afghan is my current nightmare. I have dissected it. I understand that the increases for peaks equal the skipped stitches for the valley. I understand why it should be easy but I can't keep the count right even in a small sample. I don't know why this is happening. I have crocheted more complicated things without this problem and it really is driving me nuts.
Could you post of picture of your sample? Maybe someone can see where your count is going off.

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
Are you trying to do it when your attention is elsewhere like tv. Are you trying to do it when thoughts are intruding, like worrying about someone’s health or money concerns. I find that even though it is such a simple pattern and maybe because of that, my mind wanders more and I have to keep pulling my attention back very frequently (every peak, every valley). I do not find it a relaxing pattern, I’d rather knit socks on US 1-2 needles.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if I'm doing this right but to answer all 4 of you: My samples went out with the morning garbage but they were not very big samples because my count doesn't work out by the 3rd row. I've tried 3 slightly different free patterns found on line and then one from an old afghan book. I pay close attention and still it gets messed up. Maybe it's just not the pattern for me or I'm just too frustrated with it to keep trying right now. I don't know. I can see on paper what it should do but just can't make it wore in yarn. This is so stupid!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't know if I'm doing this right but to answer all 4 of you: My samples went out with the morning garbage but they were not very big samples because my count doesn't work out by the 3rd row. I've tried 3 slightly different free patterns found on line and then one from an old afghan book. I pay close attention and still it gets messed up. Maybe it's just not the pattern for me or I'm just too frustrated with it to keep trying right now. I don't know. I can see on paper what it should do but just can't make it wore in yarn. This is so stupid!!!
Usually it is with the beginning stitch or the end one - either or both ends OR forgetting to do the chain at the end of row - don't give up

·
Registered
447 Posts
Put it in time out for awhile. Work on something less frustrating and then go back to it. I know when I get upset with a project it's often more about me than the pattern. Breathe and let the directions brew in your brain for a bit. You can do it!

·
Registered
40 Posts

I have struggled with ripple afghans in the past. I found one on Ravelry called Serendipity's Ripple Afghan and I have made two of them! Take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have seen some easy ripple blanket patterns on u-tube. It might help you to follow along with a tutorial to get it started. I have found that seeing the way something is done sometimes helps me to understand a particular pattern better.:)

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
I currently have a crochet chevron baby blanket on the go, and I use stitch markers at each peak. I know your's is knit, but could you do the same thing? When I get to the valley I already know I have made 12 stitches down from the peak, and I just skip two stitches at the valley, and make my other 12 stitches up the other side back to the peak.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've never ever been able to get the hang of crochet ripple patterns ..... they always go wider or narrower as my project progresses. So I gave up on 'em.
I find it a big help to mark the top of the turning chain with a loop of contrasting yarn so I know where to, or not to put the last stitch. And after all these years I still write out the last sequence and "turn" on an index card and keep it next to me as I work. A very large safety pin marks the right side of my work, too.

·
Premium Member
20,216 Posts
I have struggled with ripple afghans in the past. I found one on Ravelry called Serendipity's Ripple Afghan and I have made two of them! Take a look at it.
I was going to put a hot link here for the Ravelry pattern, but I'm unable to find anything using "Serendipity Ripple." Does the pattern perhaps go by a second name?

·
Premium Member
20,216 Posts
I was going to put a hot link here for the Ravelry pattern, but I'm unable to find anything using "Serendipity Ripple." Does the pattern perhaps go by a second name?
Aha! The active link in Ravelry has been posted! Thanks!

Reactions: Jessica-Jean
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top Bottom