Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knitting and crocheting,the tools one chooses and the fibers one chooses are very personal.

I for one detest anything acrylic..but that's personal. Knitting style, needle choices and fiber are all part of this wonderful, and very personal craft.

I do tend to take advice with a "grain of salt"..those who do not make socks are hardly people I'll take advice from when it comes to knitting socks (seems to make sense). Those whose only knowledge comes from "google" or "youtube" are others that I'll be wary of.

We have some wonderful people here who can share first hand experience rather than just quote from sites...listen to them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
courier770 said:
Knitting and crocheting,the tools one chooses and the fibers one chooses are very personal.

I for one detest anything acrylic..but that's personal. Knitting style, needle choices and fiber are all part of this wonderful, and very personal craft.

I do tend to take advice with a "grain of salt"..those who do not make socks are hardly people I'll take advice from when it comes to knitting socks (seems to make sense). Those whose only knowledge comes from "google" or "youtube" are others that I'll be wary of.

We have some wonderful people here who can share first hand experience rather than just quote from sites...listen to them.
I'm finding it very difficult to take any type of advice from some one who may be quite knowledgeable in knitting but so openly vocal and judgemental in the type of fibers one chooses to use to knit with. You have so openly stated you are a" yarn snob "and have in many ways put the rest of us into a "lower sub category of knitters" than you because we choose not to use the pricier or nicer fibers that you choose to use. I suppose I should put myself into my own category and call myself "an acrylic yarn snob" then because that is what I use and actually prefer. ?!? I also use a variety of other fibers to work with too, which may or may not be to anyone else's liking but my own and I'm perfectly fine with that. Since you don't knit with the same type of fibers that I knit with how can you posssibly understand any type of issues I might have when using them and offer me the type of advice I might require when you don't even knit with these fibers??

I guess I missed the part when I signed up that stated I must use only certain fiber types to knit and crochet with and spend money for a certain quality of fiber to even be a knitter or crocheter. I do what I do with what I have and don't need to justify that to you or anyone else. I knit and crochet because I like to and get great enjoyment out of it and try not to be judgemental of others and fibers they use, items they make or the amount of money they spend. I joined because this site was a fun place to be and had a wealth of caring people on it who were willing to share and reach out to help someone else, not to hear them be condemned for using something that wasn't up to someone else's standards or to misprint something and be criticized for it. That just puts a damper on everything and is discouraging for everyone. I'd rather learn from all and be open minded and learn new things. Much more fun that way. Just my thoughts. I don't mean to say anything to make someone else upset or hurt and am very sorry if that happens. I have been on the receiving end of that way too often and don't enjoy it anymore than the next person. I just want to knit and crochet and have fun and ask for help and guidance when I need it and not feel I shall create a caridnal sin in doing so or be condemned for doing it. Enjoy your projects.
Carol L.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dislike acrylic because it is largely chemicals and the process to manufacture it is "dirty"..I value the environment. It's just my opinion. I don't think people realize exactly what this process entails or what the content of acrylic is really made up of.

Petroleum products in the form of plastics are the raw materials for acrylic yarn. Its chemical base is between 85 and 90 percent vinyl cyanide. Each manufacturer adds other chemicals that give their acrylic fiber unique characteristics.

Read more: How Is Acrylic Yarn Made? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6551284_acrylic-yarn-made_.html#ixzz1IaEYhCKS

·
Registered
494 Posts
courier770 said:
I dislike acrylic because it is largely chemicals and the process to manufacture it is "dirty"..I value the environment. It's just my opinion. I don't think people realize exactly what this process entails or what the content of acrylic is really made up of.

Petroleum products in the form of plastics are the raw materials for acrylic yarn. Its chemical base is between 85 and 90 percent vinyl cyanide. Each manufacturer adds other chemicals that give their acrylic fiber unique characteristics.

Read more: How Is Acrylic Yarn Made? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6551284_acrylic-yarn-made_.html#ixzz1IaEYhCKS
I value the environment too. Just because I don't use your fibers doesn't mean I dont value the environment.

Must ask point blank??? Do you know what it is like to have any allergy??? Do you know first hand how fibers can make one violently ill!!! Have you even taken a moment - ever - to consider that the fibers you use and so strongly make a stand for - can have these effects on people too??? Have you ever once considered that there are many people whose bodies can't tolerate these fibers in any way, shape or form??? Do you ever consider the fact that your choice of fibers can be extremely itchy to someone else??? Do you ever consider the fact that those same fibers can cause severe and deadly asthma reactions in people???

For these reasons, I and many other people cannot use the fibers you use so I guess we are the lucky ones more than you because we still have options available to us, acrylic being only one of them, that still allows us to enjoy our craft of choice. I can only guess that you have maybe never looked at those reasons closely enough to really understand the health risks your fiber choices pose to other. It can be just as deadly to someone as the environmental risks that you are so concerned about.

Maybe in your book that makes us bad people. I don't see it that way though. To me it just means we chose the fibers we chose for very different and yet very valid reasons. Many people never look beyond their own world to see how something can affect someone else's life, or they choose not to take the time to look at it from someone else's viewpoint because it either doesn't concern them or affect them in any way so they are unwilling to look at the whole picture before them. Me, I look at it all and then make the best choices I can with what I have to work with for me and the people I care about. If those choices don't live up to someone else's standards then so be it. I just don't ever try to cram my choices down someone elses throat or condemn others for their choices and hope others would expect me to look at their choices and reasons with an open mind.
Carol L.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never said anyone was bad..as for allergies, yes my grand daughter has severe allergies that have landed her in Denver Children's Hospital in full blown asthma attacks and my sister suffered from a wool allergy. So I do understand that issue quite well.

I really wasn't aware that I was cramming choices down anyone's throat, only stating that I do not choose to use certain products and why. It's really no different than having an opinion on anything else.

·
Registered
494 Posts
courier770 said:
I never said anyone was bad..as for allergies, yes my grand daughter has severe allergies that have landed her in Denver Children's Hospital in full blown asthma attacks and my sister suffered from a wool allergy. So I do understand that issue quite well.

I really wasn't aware that I was cramming choices down anyone's throat, only stating that I do not choose to use certain products and why. It's really no different than having an opinion on anything else.
Opinions - yes, we all have them, myself included. Makes the world a grand place that we can share our opinions freely. Sometimes, however, problems arise, not in the fact that we have opinions and share them, but in the way in which we share them with others. We can make a very conscious effort to word our message of our opinion in such a way as to not come across as hurtful, judgemental or holier than thou and still get our opinion across to others. We can say things that are respectful of others feelings and still share our feelings and thoughts. Sometimes being short and to the point is not the best tactic to use. Sometimes we all need to just really step back and see how our wording usage affects others. Just my opinion and I am entitled to mine just as you are to yours. I have found life too short to spend it with people who upset me or rub me the wrong way with their choice of word usage. Like you and everyone else, I take their message with a huge "grain of salt". Take what I need or can use and leave the rest behind. It just all boils down to using common courtesy and treating everyone with kindness and respect and to remember our own shortcomings. As you say, just my opinion. I can share my opinion in a good way and realize that some opinions are best left unshared as they will not help anyone. Just expressing my opinion to your comments and how they are made and how they affect me. Happy knitting.
Carol L.

·
Registered
386 Posts
courier770 said:

Yes there are some excellent crafters and designers on this site with a plethora of knowledge who are more than willing to share it for all to learn from. That does not mean that one should discount requesting that someone google infomation so that they can gather more knowledge on their own. Also some people are visual learners so seeing a tutorial on youtube may be just the thing that they need to make the information click.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I joined this forum to gain knowledge in a fun way. It saddens me that you spend so much time & energy on negatives. Our lives are so full of negative from life itself and the media. Please just keep unkind remarks to self and enjoy learning new things.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
courier770 said:

While I don't want to get into any kind of a battle here, I will agree that this and many other crafts are personal choices. I have been an avid counted cross stitcher for years. I don't like to use aida - personal choice. I like linen. I like all linen but really prefer to use hand dyed linen. I also don't like cotton fibers - DMC or any of the others. I prefer to use silks. And again, I prefer hand dyed silks. I also prefer to stitch large samplers. These are all just my choices. I started out with aida and I started out with DMC. I've grown and branched out.

Likewise with my knitting. I started out with Red Heart but have grown into wools, alpacas, mohairs, lace weight, etc. I started out using plastic and aluminum straight needles. I now use bamboo and wooden circulars. We evolve as we go - providing time and money allow us to do that. HOWEVER, when I make an afghan, it's still Red Heart and it works fine. Kick it around, throw it in the washer and dryer, do whatever you want with it and it stands up to that wear and tear.

As to advice, I totally agree that I want experienced, seasoned advice. That's why I have a library of reference materials and ask those who I know will know the answers. If I had never knit a sock, I wouldn't offer advice on it - and since it's been years since I've made any, I would not offer advice at this point in time. BUT again, there's usually a but or a however, the nice thing about the internet is that we can just ignore whatever we want to and take the good of whatever is suggested. I've only been on this forum for a short time but I have to say I've had some wonderful help and advice when I've asked for it.

Bottom line here is that we all enjoy our craft - or at least we should enjoy it. What we use, what we don't use, what we produce, what we don't produce is what makes us all who and what we are.....knitters with a shared passion for what we do. Ok, I'm done. Now back to finishing my sweater/coat.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think maybe I am a "yarn snob" too. I will knit with any kind of yarn I can get my hands on. I want to try every yarn out there just to see what it feels like. I have crocheted gorgeous afghans with RedHeart that I have used and enjoyed for 30 years and they still look beautiful. I like certain fibers for some things and other fibers for some things but knitting is about pure enjoyment of the craft not about what yarn I use. I live on a fixed income so all my yarn is bought on sale no matter what the fiber and being able to shop online sales, I have been able to try lots of different yarns. I love everyone of them and always find a good project for all of them. This forum and others have really taught me to try all kinds of stitchs and projects that I never would have been brave enough to try on my own. It is all about friendship and our craft, I hate to see any post that makes anyone feel bad about what yarn, needles, their methods or anyother tools they use. Please lets get back to what we all really love, knitting, crocheting and crafting beautiful things.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Courier and Carol, thank you both for having the courage to air your different points of view; you've both raised important issues (and ones I wouldn't have thought of) on the merits/demerits of different yarn types.

·
Registered
629 Posts
To be honest, I only read the first two posts; Courier's usual and Carol's response so my comments stem only from that. I'm pretty sure I already know what follows.

When I first stumbled onto this forum, I thought Courier was the moderator. She seemed to have all the answers but no questions. But after a while, I think I've finally gotten the whole picture.

Thank you, Carol, you spoke for many of us.

·
Registered
629 Posts
To be honest, I only read the first two posts; Courier's usual and Carol's response so my comments stem only from that. I'm pretty sure I already know what follows.

When I first stumbled onto this forum, I thought Courier was the moderator. She seemed to have all the answers but no questions. But after a while, I think I've finally gotten the whole picture.

Thank you, Carol, you spoke for many of us.

(Oops, sorry for the duplicate.)

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Ladies, please note that this conversation between Courier and Carol happened mid-April. You are all just finding the thread. It is over and done with, so it really isn't an issue any more unless we make it one. Having seen posts from all of you, I know it isn't an issue. You are all polite, caring and thoughtful of others. Enough said.
Keep on knitting.....

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Points of view are just that, I simply state why I have those points of view, which happen to be multi faceted in this case. Allergies are serious issues, so is our environment, so are child labor laws.

It's always been my nature to research products, how they are made, what they are made from, where they are made and who makes them. I choose to NOT purchase products that pollute our environment or use children in the manufacture of products..that's just me.

We all make choices and select our battles, though I do try to be informed.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
courier770 said:
Points of view are just that, I simply state why I have those points of view, which happen to be multi faceted in this case. Allergies are serious issues, so is our environment, so are child labor laws.

It's always been my nature to research products, how they are made, what they are made from, where they are made and who makes them. I choose to NOT purchase products that pollute our environment or use children in the manufacture of products..that's just me.

We all make choices and select our battles, though I do try to be informed.
I respect your views, but the fact remains that this is a site for exchanging tips and information about crafts. It's inappropriate to use it as a soapbox for making inflammatory statements concerning politics, religion, or other controversial subjects.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I thought this was interesting. Not for the negative or anything, just we all have our likes and dislikes. I "throw" when I knit, my mother did not. My mother always used wool, I like all the different yarns. My mother only knit with Boyle, I love knitpicks. My mother always used straight needles, I use circulars. I have multiple projects going at once, my mother had one till it was done.
I think we all are "snobs" when it comes to what we like. I like seeing what everyone thinks of their products and style. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom