Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I just finished a knitted vest project that is an open vest in the front. The instructions say to sew onto each side a tie that was knitted with a cast on and then a cast off. My question is.....do you sew the ties on with thread or yarn of the same yarn as the vest?

I think it's totally up to you what to sew it on with. A matching cotton thread would work just fine and even be less bulky. More than once I've zig-zagged seams on my sewing machine when I wasn't being a perfectionist. No one could have ever told the difference in the way the finished sweater looked!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks....something to think about......I'm such a novice at this even tho I've knitted for years.....never really made sweaters, etc. I guess there are always several different ways to do things......

Yes, definitely. I was just looking for a good video, but the one I found was too fuzzy. I'm going to keep looking, and I'll get back to you. I just googled "How to Pick up and Knit Stitches," and lots of sites came up.

I just noticed that in the video I sent you, the woman is picking up stitches sideways. For adding a tie, I'd suggest that you start just like she says, using the horizontal ladder between the stitches. After you do the first stitch, go up one row and use the next horizontal ladder, the one immediately above the the stitch you just did.

I'd probably pick up 3 or 4 stitches and work in stockinette for whatever your desired length is for your tie. The sides of stockinette stitch always curl inward, so it'll make a nice tie.

Then just do the same thing on the other front side piece. I hope this helps a little bit.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure this will work for me. The ties are already made......you just cast on 60 stitches and then cast off 60 stitches......so I've made the ties, but I just need to sew them onto the vest. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. You can use a blunt large-eye needle to just sew them on wherever you want them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom