Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
tenaj said:
Just learned that tink (ripping out) is knit reversed.
tinking is actually knitting in reverse, to undo what you have done using the needles to unknit it, not ripping out. ripping out is actually called frogging (rip it rip it)

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
A few years ago, I made a sweater for my daughter for Christmas. I was concerned that it would be too small. She was ungrateful and would not agree to shorten her arms and get a breast reduction.

So we ripped it out that day. My then 6-year old grandson thought it was great fun and said, "Grandma, I'll help you unyarn." And he did.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have daughters like that! So ungrateful!! I like 'tink' for unpicking stitch by stitch: it seems to reflect the painstaking process that is involved. On the other hand 'frogging' never quite works for me. As far as I know, in my youth no self-respecting English frog ever said 'ribbit' or 'rippit' or anything other than 'croak, croak'. The first frog I ever heard say anything else must have been Kermit, back in the 1970s. By then, I was far too old to learn a new frog-language! I would love to know if other older UK knitters have the same hang ups. What did frogs say in your story books? I do plenty of 'pulling down' or even 'undoing', but I never, ever 'frog'!

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Pup lover said:
tenaj said:
tinking is actually knitting in reverse, to undo what you have done using the needles to unknit it, not ripping out. ripping out is actually called frogging (rip it rip it)
Yeah. I prefer TINK as in tink back to the mistake, fix it and knit on. Most often when you FROG, there is no hope left! lol

I think the Grandson's term of "unyarn" is the cutest.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I didn't know I was tinking last night...had to do it four times until I got it right. The night before, I was so frustrated that I ended up frogging the same pattern. But, now I actually have it right!

·
Registered
198 Posts
i always said "unravel" when i had to take knitting out or back down / now i see it is known as frogging / well i also learned another new thing and that is running a "life line" at the place to which you want to unravel / for the first time i ran a straight knitting needle through the stitches at the place i wanted to end up at (excuse all the propositions) and now i can frog happily knowing the destination row will be waiting on a needle and ready to pick up and continue

i wonder if this makes sense ?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just spent that last couple evenings tinking 4 1/3 rows of lace knitting because it seemed the pattern wasn't right and that I had accidentally reknitted a row only to re-knit, then tink again (actually this time I semi-frogged--very carefully as no lifeline yet) and re-knit and then as I was tinking one more time I realized that all along I had it right. Sheesh! So, now I have completed the row (and purled it) that I was on when I 'discovered my mistake'. ;-) So, next a lifeline and off I will continue. Oy.

tenaj said:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yup! I learned about that technique on knittinghelp.com. I have never been able to manage it cleanly, but it is a viable way.

knitterme said:
i always said "unravel" when i had to take knitting out or back down / now i see it is known as frogging / well i also learned another new thing and that is running a "life line" at the place to which you want to unravel / for the first time i ran a straight knitting needle through the stitches at the place i wanted to end up at (excuse all the propositions) and now i can frog happily knowing the destination row will be waiting on a needle and ready to pick up and continue

i wonder if this makes sense ?

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Gee! You do learn "sometink" new here all the time! I always said I was unknitting as I hated to think about ripping out or frogging. Actually, I was tinking! I "tink " this is a great place to be! Thanks for the info and Happy Needling….tinking and otherwise. jberg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom