Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the first picture the colours pooled really strangely. I am using Sirdar Crofters baby fair isle dk. Not sure if I like this colour distribution.

The second picture shows the one I've finished and it turned out as imagined. These are for my twin GD's and their Mummy still insist on dressing them the same. Can't wait for them to grow a bit older and to have their own preferences. It get's a bit like a production line churning out everything twice.

So what would you do, live with it or start again?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Well, I'm looking for a problem with the first, but honestly, nothing strikes me! I think they're both lovely. And as for that little purple elephant in the background - it is adorable! I assume you knit him/her. those are two lucky little girls!

Is the pattern for the elephant one you can share?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Well, I'm looking for a problem with the first, but honestly, nothing strikes me! I think they're both lovely. And as for that little purple elephant in the background - it is adorable! I assume you knit him/her. those are two lucky little girls!

Is the pattern for the elephant one you can share?

And what's that other project lurking in the right hand corner? You're a busy lady...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,277 Posts
They're slightly different, but both lovely and as an added bonus, they are different enough from each other to satisfy your desire for some individuality for the twins, and your daughter's wish to dress them alike. Don't frog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
peony said:
Well, I'm looking for a problem with the first, but honestly, nothing strikes me! I think they're both lovely. And as for that little purple elephant in the background - it is adorable! I assume you knit him/her. those are two lucky little girls!

Is the pattern for the elephant one you can share?

And what's that other project lurking in the right hand corner? You're a busy lady...
The left side of the one in progress looks very muted, maybe a couple of white stripes would have lifted the colour distribution.

I love doing amigurumi as a break from knitting or sewing. Here's the link to the elephant pattern. I love this lady's amigurumis so much I'll be doing most of them.
http://amigurumibb.wordpress.com/2013/05/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,783 Posts
I think the collar and bands will tie the colours together. When you look at the finished one, which is beautiful, you can also see pools of colour. In order to get both fronts the same you need to start each side with the same section of the sequence of colour in the yarn. You are doing top down so can't do this. I really do think the collar and bands will make all the difference. I have to laugh at myself saying this as I have spent the last week fretting over a choice of wool for a top for myself. It calls for self striping but you cast on extra stitches for the sleeves and I am worrying about this narrowing the stripes lol! I think we need to learn to go with the flow with this type of wool but I , too, find that hard! The cardigans are very pretty . I like this shade of Crofter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,335 Posts
cydneyjo said:
They're slightly different, but both lovely and as an added bonus, they are different enough from each other to satisfy your desire for some individuality for the twins, and your daughter's wish to dress them alike. Don't frog.
I agree. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CaroleD53 said:
I think the collar and bands will tie the colours together. When you look at the finished one, which is beautiful, you can also see pools of colour. In order to get both fronts the same you need to start each side with the same section of the sequence of colour in the yarn. You are doing top down so can't do this. I really do think the collar and bands will make all the difference. I have to laugh at myself saying this as I have spent the last week fretting over a choice of wool for a top for myself. It calls for self striping but you cast on extra stitches for the sleeves and I am worrying about this narrowing the stripes lol! I think we need to learn to go with the flow with this type of wool but I , too, find that hard! The cardigans are very pretty . I like this shade of Crofter.
It's my first venture into self striping yarn top down and I didn't realise that it makes a difference in how the colour sequences pan out. Thanks for that tip. Also I had a thought maybe because I started the second cardi with what was left from finishing the sleeves on the first one instead of starting with a new ball may be that made a difference too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,783 Posts
Shlamassl said:
It's my first venture into self striping yarn top down and I didn't realise that it makes a difference in how the colour sequences pan out. Thanks for that tip. Also I had a thought maybe because I started the second cardi with what was left from finishing the sleeves on the first one instead of starting with a new ball may be that made a difference too.
I don't think every ball starts at the same bit of the sequence. If you had looked for the same part I suppose they would have been the same till you added in a second ball. I just know I am going to be the same if/when I knit my top, that is if I ever actually manage to pick wool. I have never really knitted with this sort of wool before either. The most I have done is a baby hat in Crofter and I was annoyed that the ear flaps didn't match lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,142 Posts
I think it's one of those things that just jump out at the knitter. They're both lovely....maybe just a practice for when the twins want things 'a little different' from the other. Thanks for sharing .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CaroleD53 said:
I don't think every ball starts at the same bit of the sequence. If you had looked for the same part I suppose they would have been the same till you added in a second ball. I just know I am going to be the same if/when I knit my top, that is if I ever actually manage to pick wool. I have never really knitted with this sort of wool before either. The most I have done is a baby hat in Crofter and I was annoyed that the ear flaps didn't match lol!
Haha Carole maybe we both are just two fuss pots! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,560 Posts
This is one of the "problems" with self striping...the colors don't always line up....just accept it and know it is beautiful. Don't frog. I frogged one similar and to get the colors to line up I wasted close to a skein of yarn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,234 Posts
I would not frog. If you frogged and re knit you still might not get the stripes to your liking.

They are the same to make the Mom happy and different to stop the feeling of mass production.

They are beautiful and your grand daughters are lucky little ladies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
The only guide I go on is "What do you want?" "Does it REALLY bother you?" If the answer is YES! and it will bother you every time you see the finished garment, RIP IT OUT! So much ready-to-wear has unmatched stripes, seams and general shody construction, honestly, it won't make a difference to the person you give this to. It will only make a difference to you. Having said all that ... the sweaters are lovely just as they are!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you ladies for all your input.
I've decided to just carry on with the knitting. These cardi's are to go with jeans or dungerees anyway and I agree they look matching but not quite the same and once the band and collar is on as suggested this will bring it all together.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom