Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a collection of antique patterns from the 40's and 50's and have found them much easier to understand than "today's" patterns.
Do you; if you have had the chance to compare, find the older ones easier to work with than today's patterns?

I am a newer knitter and have found this to be so.

· Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mommiedearest said:
I put something on here a couple of days ago..

http://www.knittingfool.com

They show 0ver 300 abbreviations and its meaning and have ove 2000 patterns with instructions. The patterns will keep you busy for a while if your looking for something new.
Oh, I have quite a collection of todays patterns as well. But, I find a lot of shortcuts in the directions ....even those labeled "easy" or intrmediate." And I have found many, many patterns with re-prints for mistakes in them.
Thanks for the link. I have never seen this one!
Happy new year!

· Registered
178 Posts
I taught myself to knit in the early 60's and I still have some of those patterns. I learned from the abbreviations/instructions of that period and now find some of the new pattern abbreviations/explanations confusing since I default to the learned ones, then I am having to search the meaning since they are different from the "old" easier abbreviations. I do find the hints to be nice, but pattern instructions are not necessarily easier.

· Registered
3,192 Posts
marylo12 said:
I have quite a collection of antique patterns from the 40's and 50's and have found them much easier to understand than "today's" patterns.
Do you; if you have had the chance to compare, find the older ones easier to work with than today's patterns?

I am a newer knitter and have found this to be so.
I knitted years ago and yes I do agree with you. So many new ways to make a stitch that was simple years ago. Patterns seem to make things sound complicated from long time ago. :-(

· Registered
14,897 Posts
marylo12 said:
Mommiedearest said:

They show 0ver 300 abbreviations and its meaning and have ove 2000 patterns with instructions. The patterns will keep you busy for a while if your looking for something new.
Oh, I have quite a collection of todays patterns as well. But, I find a lot of shortcuts in the directions ....even those labeled "easy" or intrmediate." And I have found many, many patterns with re-prints for mistakes in them.
Happy new year!
I also find some of todays patterns confusing to read as the layout of the pattern (sizing and decreases and increases etc.) can be confusing. I have had some patterns that have been written in panels. The old ones would write everything out for each stitch in each row, that is much easier to read and understand as far as I am concerned.

· Registered
3,192 Posts
flitri said:
marylo12 said:
Mommiedearest said:

Happy new year!
I also find some of todays patterns confusing to read as the layout of the pattern (sizing and decreases and increases etc.) can be confusing. I have had some patterns that have been written in panels. The old ones would write everything out for each stitch in each row, that is much easier to read and understand as far as I am concerned.
I don't read charts. Only charts a long time ago was for the fair Isle type patterns. I like it when the pattern is done in row for row.

· Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flitri said:
marylo12 said:
Mommiedearest said:

Happy new year!
Yes, I agree. Too much is taken for granted that everyone that reads a pattern has 50+ yrs experience. Bah humbug!

· Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
karsh said:
I was beginning to think it was me and I was losing it. The new patterns are indeed hard to understand and the abbreviations too.
Now , reading what you guys have to say, I don't feel so darn inept and stupid!
You all are great! Happy New Year! :thumbup:

· Registered
110 Posts
Hi, Sometimes we have to make like a detective when reading a pattern. The other day I read a pattern that said "o", looking at the picture it seemed to me to be the same as yo or even m1. This is when being an oldie [73] comes in handy. Take a few minutes and have a little think, I don't always get it but sometimes I have a happy accident and a new design happens. fayby

· In Memoriam
1,816 Posts
There are so many new ways to cast on, bind off, increase, decrease, and different ways to construct a sock heel. Some of the innovations are improvements and some of them are so convoluted, they are a pain to use.

Is there some sort of social or professional pressure for an up and coming designer to create a different method of performing a knitting function? As a way of distinguishing, him- or herself from the pack?

· Registered
3,061 Posts
I'm going to have to differ. I find the newer patterns easier than the older ones, but all patterns can sometimes be a mystical guess and require some help from my sis-in-law, the forum, You Tube or knittinghelp.com to interpret what is being said. I've been knitting for about 6 years and most of the patterns I've made have been newer patterns. I learned to knit in classes given in my LYS and the patterns used in classes have all been relatively new, so possibly, that makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom