Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a challenge and bought yarn and a book called Toe Up Socks. I thought I was an experienced knitter but this is more than my 82 year old brain can figure out. Can someone explain more clearly than this book how to do the first rows on 4 needles? Grace

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Hi Grace, Join me for a drink!!! Tea, hot chocolate you name it.
I also am starting toe up socks. Got the book and yarn.
So far I have learned there are MANY different possibilities for toes. I selected the Turkish cast on. And I am working on 2 circulars no DPN yet. Maybe for the heel.
I have gone to YOU TUBE TOE UP SOCK many times to watch it over and over again. But I got it. I have the first sock up to the heel. Now I need to figure that out. So far I love the way it is working up.
The book I just bought is "Socks a la carte 2 toes up"
If I master this book I will retire from knitting. Must be a million combinations possible.
I tried to work with the ladies on this forum, but I didn't like the first toe and I kept looking until I found this cast on method, no seam.
Good luck and I'll help anyway I can.
Linda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotch might work better for me. My book is Toe -Up techniques. It has a closed toe long tail caste on. I am on row 3 and struggling.

I will look at U tube toe up socks and see if I can get your book.

Gratefully
Grace

·
Registered
681 Posts
Grace,
Don't feel bad, it has taken me two weeks just to get the toe part of the toe-up sock. I have been knitting for over 47 years, and I can tell you I feel lost with some of these different ways to knit and the patterns themself. However the ladies and men have been great. One this is for sure, you will learn from these people.
tbbrown12369

·
Registered
681 Posts
Grace
The U-to I watched was in the notes. Don't go by The notes it was crochet. I went over and over, pulled out started over and over again. Once I got thru the toe section it became easier. But be sure to count the stitches. After that it was not the pattern that got me it was my hands didn't work with my brain. once over that it was fine. I have not gotten to the arch as yet. The increase is a breeze. Happy knitting. The only thing that helped me was my pure bullheadedness, I refused to give up. I told myself that "I can do this".Tammy

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Hi, "I think this "toe up" boat is full!!
We all seem to be determined to master this SIMPLE project.
I must have ripped the toe out 10 x before it looked OK. The increases were easy, made my way to the heel section. And today I worked the short rows, with only one minor imperfection. NO I'm not riping it out, just hoping to finish this sock today. I am at the part of joining the heel to the stitches for the instep that are on the other needle.
Keep knitting ladies. We can do this.
Linda

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Hi,
I'm so glad to hear fom people who have had to struggle with socks. I've knit for a long time and have done some pretty complicated things, but for some reason socks always scared me. One issue was working with a set of double-pointed needles, which I tried once and hated, but then I found out about using 2 round needles, and that's much easier for me. Then I heard about toe-up socks, and it seemed to make so much sense (who hasn't run out of yarn with half a second sleeve finished!) but I couldn't get the whole "short row" concept. I finally realized that what you're doing is going back and forth to create more rows in the center while leaving the ends shorter, which creates a kind of "hill" in the middle. That will be one side of your toe or heel, and then you reverse the process to make the other side. The "wrapping" that you do as you turn around is just to keep the middle connected to the shorter sides. What made it really "click" for me was a series of videos starting with this one:
I'm still finishing another project before I can start on the socks, but I now I'm looking forward to conquering them and having a small project that I can finish in a reasonable time(and a new clothing item to gift to friends and family).
Jan

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Hey maybe by next winter we will each have a wearable pair.
I am deciding on the cuff pattern right now.
Linda

·
Registered
576 Posts
Grace, you are a woman after my own heart! I am almost 60 and learned to knit 5-6 years ago. I love it! See, I keep telling everyone that they are never too old to learn! And I believe this with my whole heart! As long as you are learning, you are still young! I tell my kids it's not the years that age us, it's all the miles we have to go through. =)

I want you to know that you are inspiring and I am proud of you for learning a new technique! I have a list that I want to learn and a few other crafts, also!

I have learned to make my own soap. And to needle tat. I learned to crochet in my late 20's. It took me many years of trying to learn to knit, but I did it! I just couldn't give up! I still want to learn to shuttle tat, and will one day! =)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done tons of cuff down but wanted to do toe up tp use up ALL the yarn in the skein. I have tried to figure out the cast on ,too. Finally I borrowed a library book called, "Teach yourself visually , Sock Knitting" by Laura Chau. Took me about 2 tries and I got it!!!!!! It may not be as easy to figure out the heel, but I am happily knitting the foot body for now. I do both at one on 2 sets of double points so when I am done, I am done.
The author may have a site with more info. If you have ever crocheted a chain & then picked up stitches, then you'll have no problem.Don't give up. That's the one that worked for me & the toes look good.(provisional cast on)Hey, if you can navigate the internet, you'll be fine!! Trudy

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Hi Bunny, I am a new sock knitter. I tried cuff down but couldn't get the leg size correct. Doing toe up I can try the sock on as I knit it. And can add sts if needed.
That's the part I like best about the toe up sock.
Linda

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Hi, Bunnylee and all the rest,

Try knitpurlhunter.com She currently has some sock knit-a-longs running. The 1st one "Center of Attention" is a toe-up sock using Judy's Magic Cast-On. It also has a great short row heel. You can download and print the instructions, plus there are links to her videos on the various techniques used in the socks. FANTASTIC videos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dear Sock Knitting Sisters, Thank you for all your great help. I am following up on the video and the books. Keep socking it to me and this project will succeed.

I am having fun getting comments from all of you and I will keep you up to date on my progress.

grace

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also tried the toe up socks and that part was easy. I got all the way to the heel and could not figure it out so gave up and I always do two socks at the same time and so I ripped them both out and made them the usual way. I must have made about 10,00 pairs of socks in my life time and I am 75 and have been knitting since I was a teenager and I can make at least 5 pairs of socks a week. I even knit the socks for a bagpipe band and could do them about 4 pairs a week but the toe up has got me stumped. Barb

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
I too was very stuck on the toe up socks until I discovered the book Toe-Up Two at a time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. The front of the book has a beautiful tutorial that is very detailed with a lot of pictures. I now have made over a dozen pair of toe ups and LOVE them. No more seaming and I can make the cuffs as long as I want with no worries about running out of yarn. I have even begun to convert regular patterns to the two at a time method. I got her cuff down book as a gift and liked it so much that I bought the toe up from Amazon for about $12.

·
Premium Member
39,496 Posts
I also have the Melissa Morgan-Oates book Toe-Up Two at a Time AND am taking a class. I'm a beginning knitter and have done one pair top down and now these. I really like the toe up version so far (haven't finished a pair yet though; still a work in progress.) I could visualize the finished product easier than the top down. I would like to learn to use the dpns but keep being told not to bother since I like the circular needles. Still, would like to learn just to have the knowledge. Oh yeah, I'm 58 and a lover of learning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom