Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t sleep a couple of nights ago so decided to get up and be productive. I spent the night crocheting ear protectors, forgetting that I crochet them a lot more tightly than other things. My hand and wrist we a little sore but not enough to keep me from doing things. Yesterday afternoon I crocheted 6 more, by the time I finished (half hour) my wrist and hand really hurt. Now today I can’t crochet, knit or sew. I stressed the muscles and tendons in my hand and wrist and irritated my trigger thumbs. So instead of being ahead, I’ll be behind.

I know a lot of us do marathon knitting and crochet sessions this time of year, to get gifts done. Please treat yourselves better than I did.

And to add insult to injury, my food/yarn scale died, so I can’t even work on my back up project of yarn organization/labeling.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
KateLyn11 said:
I couldn't sleep a couple of nights ago so decided to get up and be productive. I spent the night crocheting ear protectors, forgetting that I crochet them a lot more tightly than other things. My hand and wrist we a little sore but not enough to keep me from doing things. Yesterday afternoon I crocheted 6 more, by the time I finished (half hour) my wrist and hand really hurt. Now today I can't crochet, knit or sew. I stressed the muscles and tendons in my hand and wrist and irritated my trigger thumbs. So instead of being ahead, I'll be behind.

I know a lot of us do marathon knitting and crochet sessions this time of year, to get gifts done. Please treat yourselves better than I did.

And to add insult to injury, my food/yarn scale died, so I can't even work on my back up project of yarn organization/labeling.
I did the same thing last year. Crocheted around 8 scarves in a short time for grandkids. My thumb/wrist still hasn't forgiven me.

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are also called mask extenders. I’ve been making them for all the medical/dental offices and agencies in my small town. There are plenty of pattern on line but here is what I do. I make two sizes, a small and a large. I’ve been making them with worsted weight cotton yarn and a H hook.

Small: Chain 13, in the second chain from the hook, and every chain stitch, do a half double crochet. When I get to the last chain stitch I do 4 stitches in it (that makes an end and sets you up to crochet up the other side of the foundation chain. After doing half double crochet stitches on the other side of the foundation chain, I do two in the last chain stitch, chain one, join and bury my yarn end.

Large: Same process except I chain 21.

The photo is not one of mine, it was just the first photo I found. Mine are about 1” wide. My preferred button size is 7/8” or 1”, though I have used both smaller and larger.

I apologize for the “pattern” I’m not much of a crocheter, and rarely work from a pattern. Usually I just play until I get the shape I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,285 Posts
KateLyn11 said:
I couldn't sleep a couple of nights ago so decided to get up and be productive. I spent the night crocheting ear protectors, forgetting that I crochet them a lot more tightly than other things. My hand and wrist we a little sore but not enough to keep me from doing things. Yesterday afternoon I crocheted 6 more, by the time I finished (half hour) my wrist and hand really hurt. Now today I can't crochet, knit or sew. I stressed the muscles and tendons in my hand and wrist and irritated my trigger thumbs. So instead of being ahead, I'll be behind.

And to add insult to injury, my food/yarn scale died, so I can't even work on my back up project of yarn organization/labeling.
You poor thing, I hope you come good soon. Ear warmers would be a no-no here, 32 today and 34 for tomorrow.

·
Registered
52,666 Posts
rujam said:
You poor thing, I hope you come good soon. Ear warmers would be a no-no here, 32 today and 34 for tomorrow.
And we have warmed up to 16-after spending all morning under 15, only 12 at one point. Wearing almost as much as I would in winter! 38 by the end of the week though. So I will try not to complain.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Have you tried knitting or crocheting with support gloves? A friend of mine used them and said they worked well. Hope your hands feel better. Also, once in a while, stop what you are making and stretch your fingers and hands a few times. This also helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom