Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting for charity. I am using marianna mel patterns and also marianna's lazy daisie patterns. They are easy and a rather quick knit. None of these patterns give an option for knitting the next size. If I use heavier yarn and larger needles to do this, I don't
care for the results. I have been using Lion Brand Baby Soft. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I also use Marianna's daisy patterns. I have the patterns from premie, 0-3, and 6 months. I love the REd Heart "with Love" yarn. Not sure about any sizes bigger than 6 months. Maybe a message to Marianna in the comments section of when you download her patterns might help???

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
It actually takes a lot of work to create various sizes for patterns. Many designers have an idea of the pattern and create it.... and (particularly for free patterns) they have done the work and satisfied the creativity they wanted. Then shared their talents and work..... doing more is tedious... unless they really want to for some personal reason.

Here's a search on Ravelry for top-down, baby/child cardigans... maybe you can find something you like from them:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search?query=#language=en&photo=yes&fit=baby%2Btoddler&craft=knitting&pa=top-down&pc=cardigan&availability=free&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=created

·
Registered
22,120 Posts
Livabet said:
I am knitting for charity. I am using marianna mel patterns and also marianna's lazy daisie patterns. They are easy and a rather quick knit. None of these patterns give an option for knitting the next size. If I use heavier yarn and larger needles to do this, I don't
care for the results. I have been using Lion Brand Baby Soft. Any thoughts on this?
I am just finishing one of her all-in-ones in size 4 to 6. I will try to attach a link to the pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/girls-all-in-one-sleeveless-top

Comes in 1-3 and 4-6. I have done several. Love the pattern, I like to do the yoke in a self-striping and the body in a solid. I do add long sleeves. Then I match it up with a kid size 1898 Seaman's hat using the same self-striping for the band and solid colour crown. Topped with a pom-pom of the striped yarn and depending on the size I do I-cord ties. Almost forgot to mention--this pattern calls for double knitting.

·
Registered
11,091 Posts
I suggest you read the project notes & see if anyone has made adjustments to the pattern to increase the size. It's what I do to see if there is any problems etc.
Or you may have to look for another pattern...Good luck...

·
Registered
11,869 Posts
Livabet said:
If you go to her Ravelry page she has sizes up to size 6 or 8 I believe. I made the largest one for my 5 year old GN.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your response - I am looking for 3-6 month size - as most of the items I have completed are for newborns and think the moms could use something for later, also. I am rather new to Ravelry (except for patterns) so will continue my search there! :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Livabet said:
I am not familiar with the pattern you are using however when I was making a sweater a week for my new grandson, I used the same yarn I just made an extra increase! They gradually became a bit longer under the arm and a bit wider in the chest. I was learning cables so sometimes added an interesting pattern to not get bored. My daughter reported he was the best dressed boy in the neighborhood! I made both pullovers and cardigans.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a lovely pattern that I have used for years, but unfortunately it is in a book and so can't be passed on.

Ravelry has a pattern that is similar :Daisy Chain by Amanda Lilley

Even though it is a toddlers sweater the stitch counts are the same as I use for my baby sweaters. Just match the lengths to a baby pattern. Make the sleeves longer and I crochet a band for the buttons.

·
Registered
23,299 Posts
Livabet said:
Marianna Mel's Top Down All In One is available in larger sizes... I just finished a couple in the 1 to 3 year old sizes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom