Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just got a Toyota KS 901 machine at a thrift store in great condition. Today I restored the sponge bar with some instructions I found on another forum. The problem I am having, though - it the tensions setting doesn't seem to do much.

No matter what I have it set to, it seems to only want to knit very tightly - to the point where the entire knitting piece curls up and is pretty rigid. I've tried setting the tension on the carriage all the way down, as well as the tension on the feed system all the way down, and it still seems to knit very tightly to me. Is that just how the machine knits, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
From what you say, it appears that you need to give the carriage a really good clean, removing all the old oil and fibres, then re-apply fresh oil on a cloth along all the channels and to all moving parts. When you turn the tension dial, you can see some of the cams moving and you need to apply oil under them too.
This should free up the tension problem. For 4 ply T 5 - 7 should give you an acceptable stitch size, depending on the yarn.
Sue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help! I have definitely cleaned and oiled everything, when I flip the carriage over and turn the tension dial, I do see the (cams?) moving as I turn it, so I know the adjustment is working.

I'm leaning towards my yarn weight possibly being the problem. I'll pick up some different yarn tonight and try it, and let you all know if it fixes it.

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Are you using coned yarn? That will run through the machine most smoothly. If you are using hand knitting yarn, you will need to rewind it with a wool winder to get a ball from which the yarn will run smoothly from the centre. Hand knitting yarn also has a tighter twist than machine knitting yarn and needs a looser tension.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not necessary to rewind the balled yarns but do make sure you are running it through a wax block. You may find synthetics are inclined to stick. I've had toyota machines for 52 years and don't know what I'm going to do when my 901 packs up completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom