Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
My Mom
People gave her old fur type coats, there was a
Christmas when she made stuffed dogs and others from these coats. I am the next to the oldest of 7, so it was for the younger boys she made them. All wool or other heavied materials she got went into tied quilts, My gosh,
some of them were so heavy they held you to the bed. But there was no central heat (Phelps co. Mo) So you were glad to have that and a sister to keep you from freezing.
When Mom was in the nursing home, less than a year, people who had known her or our families told us they loved visiting with her, she was a book of knowledge in survival. Her Dad had gone on the rush for land in Okla,
then later he moved them there with two covered wagons.
She started school there. Boy, did she have a good memory

Last summer we celebrated 100 yrs since my husbands grandfather homesteaded just 2 miles fro m my home & where a cousin still lives.it is truly amazing what those people survived! Imagine coming from a small town in the east out to utter desolation with an axe, a horse & some food & trying to make a betterlife for your family.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Bonnie7591 said:
Last summer we celebrated 100 yrs since my husbands grandfather homesteaded just 2 miles fro m my home & where a cousin still lives.it is truly amazing what those people survived! Imagine coming from a small town in the east out to utter desolation with an axe, a horse & some food & trying to make a betterlife for your family.
Thanks for responding to my memories. I wish I had a chance to visit your part of the country.
My maternal side went from NC to central MO. by wagon train with his brothers family.
The great=gr grandfather didn't live but a year,leaving her with several children to raise. Later her property was sold at the courthouse steps. She lived her life going from one child's home to another. With all the children they each had, I imagine she was needed. Mom remembered her packing her trunk to move on. How sad, and we think we have it hard.
Lela

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom