Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has eany one any advice and/ or experience in "transposing" a counted cross stitch pattern into a knitting (intarsia) pattern? Does it work? You are all great! Love this site!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Yes it can work but you have to remember that a knitted stitch is not square like a cross stitch is. There are always more rows to the inch than stitches to the inch. So you would have to compensate for that.

slapshotma said:
Has eany one any advice and/ or experience in "transposing" a counted cross stitch pattern into a knitting (intarsia) pattern? Does it work? You are all great! Love this site!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
slapshotma said:
I have just tried transposing a swiss darning chart to a baby cardigan using the theme one darning stitch for one knitting one. I would try saying one cross stitch for one knit stitch and useing it as a knitting chart not a cross stitch char. Hope this might help

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
You would need to get some squared graph paper, with enough squares in both directions for your chosen design. The just transfer the stitches as they appear on the cross stitch chart, to the graph paper, then use this as your knitting chart. Give each colour on your knitting chart a symbol, and relevant yarn colour so that you know where you are when working the design. Good luck. Leonora.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Leonora said:
You would need to get some squared graph paper, with enough squares in both directions for your chosen design. The just transfer the stitches as they appear on the cross stitch chart, to the graph paper, then use this as your knitting chart. Give each colour on your knitting chart a symbol, and relevant yarn colour so that you know where you are when working the design.
You wouldn't need to go to all this effort re-copying yor cross st chart. You can knit right off the chart like you would for a knitting intarsa chart.

You do need to be aware of what others have mentioned - about a cross stitch square is a perfect square but a knit stitch is not. So your finished design will come out taller then it is wide. Depending on the design, it may not make and difference.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I have had a lot of success turning cross stitch charts into crochet charts. Knitting - some can work, but most need to be adapted. Knitting charts are not based on perfect squares, because the stitches aren't perfectly square. You would need to try a few small samples to see how the picture distorts - some patterns won't look too bad distorted, others will. There are ways to get around it - knitting in extra rows for example - or by getting some knitters' graph paper (google, there are tons of printable knitting graph paper on the net) and recharting that way. Still would need to swatch a little, though...

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
The reason I mentioned re-copying the chart is it would be easier for her to see. The cross stitch charts are usually quite small squares, and she could easily misjudge where she is at. I know the cross stitch squares are smaller than a knit stitch, I've stitched hundreds of thousands of them since 1993, and a 14ct chart gives 14 stitchs to the inch. But if she used an 8 count graph she would come closer to the size of a knit stitch if using Sport/DK weight yarn. Cross stitch is my other passion lol. Leonora
mirl56 said:
Leonora said:
You would need to get some squared graph paper, with enough squares in both directions for your chosen design. The just transfer the stitches as they appear on the cross stitch chart, to the graph paper, then use this as your knitting chart. Give each colour on your knitting chart a symbol, and relevant yarn colour so that you know where you are when working the design.
You wouldn't need to go to all this effort re-copying yor cross st chart. You can knit right off the chart like you would for a knitting intarsa chart.

You do need to be aware of what others have mentioned - about a cross stitch square is a perfect square but a knit stitch is not. So your finished design will come out taller then it is wide. Depending on the design, it may not make and difference.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As someome mentioned the transfer is not perfect since the square inch is not the same. I used to do it for my children's sweatrers and on a small scale it works out fine. It is called a duplicate stitch look on You Tube they will show you how it is done.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much every one... I wanted to transfer a counted cross stitch of a Lighthouse into a afghan for our beach house! Will feel secure in attempting it, thanks to you all.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Like Roxycatlady said, I would transfer the design to knitting graph paper. I use cross stitch and crochet designs for my knitting too and some turn out really distorted. It is worth it to chart it out onto knitted graph paper before knitting it up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's the stitch you're knitting, not the chart or image you're transposing, that makes this technique work. If you can find a stitch pattern that changes the background grid in dimension, you're home. Inknitters Magazine (no longer in print) published a couple of my patterns utilizing this technique several years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom