Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making the Leya pattern from the Kidsilk Haze Stripe Collection. It is a side to side pattern and I believe that I am increasing the first sleeve. I tried to number all the rows and list the increases but cannot get it to equal 125 total sts.
Instructions:
Place marker on centre of last row - this denotes overarm 'seam' point.
Next row (RS) Knit to within 1 st of marked st, M1, K3 (marked stitch is centre st of these 3 sts), M1, K to end. Working all overarm increases as set by last row, cont as folls:
Inc 1 st at each end of 2nd and [3] foll 4th rows, then on 7 [9] foll 6th rows and at the same time inc 1 st at either side of overarm st on 8th and [7] foll 8th rows.
Work 5 rows, in [1] st at either die of overarm st on 4th of these rows and ending with RS facing for next row: [125] sts.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Someone will be here to help. I have problems unless actually working the stitches. Sorry.

I didn't want you to be sitting and waiting alone.

I would probably look at the end and move/count loops backwards to figure it out.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Are you working from instructions given to change the size? By this I mean are you using sizing that is in the brackets []? This makes a difference on how you increase.

I would take an index card or a larger piece of paper. Write down the number of the rows down the side of the paper. Just write down 1,2,3,4, etc.

Now, you are going to be increasing to make the part that goes over the arm and you are going to be doing one increase at the beginning AND end of some rows. And some increases at the middle of the arm. (That is where your marker is.)

The first row is Knit to the marker, the M1 (Make 1 stitch. For sweaters, this is usually done by knitting in the front and back of a stitch {Kfb} so you do not get a hole.) So knit in the front and back of the stitch right before the marker. Slip the marker. Knit 3 stitches. Slip the next marker. Now Kfb of the next stitch. Knit to the end.

The 2nd row coming up is where you will do increases at both ends. I am going to give instructions for NOT using the brackets AND I will put in the bracket numbers for you to follow if you are making a different sized garment. NOTE, THE INFORMATION THAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN IS VERY UNCLEAR FOR THE BRACKETS IN THIS LINE:

" Inc 1 st at each end of 2nd and [3] foll 4th rows, then on 7 [9] foll 6th rows and at the same time inc 1 st at either side of overarm st on 8th and [7] foll 8th rows."

HOWEVER, this is how I think it reads:

2. Increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end

3. {if following bracket, increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end of this row]

4.Increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end

5.Knit across

6. Increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end

7. [Increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end if using brackets]

8. Increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end

9. [Increase 1 stitch (Kfb) at the beginning and end if using brackets]

Next, knit 5 rows...I think it is either garter stitch or stockinette stitch...unsure of the last line. End with the RS facing you.

You with do this for each sleeve. Rowan patterns are ALWAYS like this. European patterns use this method to save space in publishing the pattern. So you just have to get out pencil and paper and write it out line for line yourself. I have done this several time.

I would check your sleeve on yourself or whoever you are knitting for so that you can see if it is large enough (or too large) and make adjustments to your increases.

I really do hope this helps and that I have not misled you in any way. This is how I would interpret it for myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom