Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a boys' train sweater for my grandson. I found a pattern on Ravelry, but it calls for fingering yarn with a gauge of 30 sts/4", using 2.5mm needles. The colors I want to use are in a worsted weight, as the fingering yarn available is only in baby colors.

How do I adapt this yarn to this pattern?

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
Wilbragurl said:
Worsted weight on size 2 needles = 32stst/4". I am thinking of just following the Size 2 pattern, as my grandson is wearing a 4
US 2 and English 2 are two different sizes, US2 and worsted weight yarn would be stiff, dense fabric.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Why don’t you do a gauge swatch with the yarn you have and then compare it to the circumference of the bottom of the sweater for the smaller pattern size. Just multiply your gauge stitches per inch times the number of stitches in the pattern. If that gives you the circumference you need, that is a win! Use the needle size appropriate to the yarn you want to use for the gauge swatch. A 6-inch gauge swatch won’t take you that long to knit. If you need to, you should be able to go up or down a size from whatever needle is recommended for your yarn and still have a nice fabric. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Does your pattern state the country where the author lives? If you are in the US check a needle size comparison chart -- you might get lucky!

From a swatch check the number of stitches and rows in 4 inches to figure the number of stitches and rows for 1 inch.
(4" is more accurate than 1")

If you need to use a different size needle how many rows will be needed to make the same length as the pattern?
Does the pattern have enough stitches and rows for the train picture (above the ribbing) ?
Would it be better to use a different knitting pattern and the chart for the train picture?
If you need to make pattern adjustments remember: you're smart. You can do it. And there are many experienced knitters here willing to share what we have learned. Everyone was a beginner once.

Hope you enjoy creating the train sweater. We'd love to see it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pattern is from Ravelry..Futfut is the name of the pattern. It is from New Zealand, uses a fingering weight yarn on 2.5 mm needles. I would include the pattern in this reply, but there are no instructions as to how to attach... ....I am using a worsted weight yarn on size 6 needles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mary E-B, thank you so much! I am now working the pattern on 6s, and it measures just right. I will send you photos of the original pattern as well as my enlarged size version of that pattern..as soon as I have completed it. Thanks again, so very much. I was unable to find a design that I liked as much, but had no idea how to make the adjustments. You are a knitter's angel!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom