Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week was my 58th birthday. Yesterday my DH asked if I would like to take a ride to Sturbridge, MA...about a 45 minute drive for us. We take a ride there about once a year when it isn't too busy. For those who have never been there ..it is a beautiful little village with antique shops etc. There is a LYS there, that I love. When we got there...to my dismay....it was gone!! We went up the street to a leather shop that has beautiful leather coats, bags, boots. The gentleman at the leather shop told us that the yarn shop had moved due to the flooding during Hurricane Irene last year.
We found the new location...the owner told us how the whole village had helped her after the flooding...salvage what she could...and move her business up the street. The name of the shop is the Mt. Laurel Yarn Boutique, on Main St., in Sturbridge, MA. It is a great place, beautiful yarns of every kind, needles, patterns....and she has a whole section of beautiful Polish Pottery.
I had trouble picking out something (too many choices) but I got two different past issues of Knitters magazine (which she sells at a discount), two giant balls of Katia Kimbo, and three balls of Trendsetter Vigna. The Kimbo is very much like Berrocco's Link...and the owner showed me a scarf she was making with it that was basically a giant I-cord.
The best part was that DH treated me to all of this!! Great birthday gift!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Lovely gift.
I love your story about this LYS. The whole town was helpful. Outstanding... A great example of what true 'pay-it-forward' is all about. I bet she has been there to help a lot of the towns people.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Those yarns look made for each other. They seem to be identical in color and very interesting and differernt textures. What a nice birthday treat.

My friend had a weaving yarn store that was flooded in a tornado and it was amazing how people helped with drying yarn, etc. etc. etc. It was 4 days after the event when the mascot rabbit hopped out of a pille of rubble!

·
Registered
30,451 Posts
Ohh I love Sturbridge. I was there about 25 years ago. I am sure it has changed since then. Did you take any pictures? Happy B/day and nice presents!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. It was really nice that everyone in the town had helped her. While I was walking around she was telling my hubby the whole story. A lot of her yarns were still displayed in plastic totes, but she also had a lot of shelving set up, etc. I'm sure the restoration and move took time. She told us that she had checked her store early in the morning on the day of the storm, it was fine...and dry. At two in the afternoon it was covered in two feet of water!! The best part of the whole story is that she WAS able to salvage her business, move, and go on....with help we can accomplish anything!

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
What a nice birthday gift.

It's nice to hear that everyone pitched in to help the owner of the store and she was still there.

I haven't been to Sturbridge in years. They have some great little shops, I actually went there for a paperweight show years ago.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
What a great birthday! and what a wonderful story about the yarn store and the community pulling together to help one of their own. Best wishes for a beautiful year :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
What a lovely birthday you had!! I can't see how it could have been any better....a lovely day with your favorite guy, shopping in wonderful little shops and buying yarn!!!! You are a lucky lady!! Happy belated birthday .....glad you had such a fun day!!

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
well thats such a hear warming story.. I love story's of human kindness... I'm so glad you found your yarn store and I want to wish you a very happy birthday...My husband and I do things like this too... When the gas prices started getting out of control one of the tv stations had a segment on '1 day vacations' the whole premise was what can you do on a tank of gas... and we started going on 1 day adventures finding all the tiny little towns tucked into the landscape.. we have had some wonderful trips.. met lots of great people..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom