Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on line 36 of the Tree of Life trees pattern and things don't seem to fit right. Is P4, (1/1 PRC,P2) twice" correct? I am leary of going off and changing the pattern on my own. If someone could verify line 36, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Bville Kintter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your speedy answer. I am knitting over my head but I think I forgot to mark what row I had finished, so it didn't make sense. I had remembered that there was an expanded line 36 somewhere, so I thought that was my problem. I am knitting the trees in blocks to make mistakes easier to correct. Sometimes it is confusing because I have to account for those "lost" 20 stitches that are not in the directions to make the trees line up with the flowers.

There are so many cable stitches. I printed out little cards to keep me on track. I don't really understand the meaning behind the names. (Obviously the right and left cross mean the obvious and likewise the numbers. I guess I don't understand when there is a "purl" in the name. It doesn't seem consistent to me.) Do you know of a good place for the definitions?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
21,445 Posts
If you look at the chart, that is a "picture" of the trees and shows how the limbs spread out. The squares with symbols for the cable crossings indicate how that cable is formed. The chart matches the text. If you plan to work from the chart, or with the chart, it would be best to color code the cable crossings. In the text, you could use colored pencils to color code the crossings so that you know, for example, if you see a red mark, that is is a 1/1 PRC, as opposed to a 1/1 PLC. If you don't understand the meaning behind the names, then look at the key to the chart, or the text instructions to explain how each is made.

1/1 PRC is shown in the instructions as:
1/1 PRC (1 over 1 purl right cross) Slip 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k1, then p1 from
cable needle.

This means that you slip 1 st. from the left needle to a cable needle (this is a 3-4 in. 'needle' that holds your stitch until you get back to it). The cable needle is held at the back of your work while you do the next step. You will knit the next stitch from the left needle, then, take the cable needle and slip that 1 st. back onto the left needle. The last part of that is to purl the stitch that you just moved back. All of this is just to cross the two stitches so that they lean in a direction and form the tree limbs.

So, 1/1 PRC is simply 1st. cross over 1st. The purl portion makes it fit into the background stitches.

It might help if you knit a sample and practice the different stitches. I hope this doesn't confuse you and helps. The Tree of Life afghan is a worthy project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I was trying to figure out was the symbolism so I wouldn't have to look up how the stitches went each time. I FINALLY learned that the first number is the stitches held in front and "L" was always with cable needle in front and "R" was always the cable in the back. And if there is no "P", it is always a knit. It took me awhile. Because some of the rows are so complex and my eyes are bad, I made little business size cards with each instruction and then lined them up to make it easier to read.
Thank you for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom