Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made Lion Brand's Tree of Life afghan? I started it, but got bogged down and quit. If anyone has an opinion on it, do tell. Maybe it isn't meant to be my granddaughter's wedding gift from Grammie.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have made it, it was not hard once started, the only thing ,I did not like the look of the "flower" section so I made criss-cross cable in those sections, came out looking like a lattice work. Sorry do not have picture to send, made a few years ago as gift for someone. Enjoy it is really lovely when done, you can do it !!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have made 2 of them, one in Fisheran's Wool and the other in a washable cotton type arylic. Both came out well, Woking the trees can be frustrating until you "see" the pattern while working it. The floowers on the fisherman's wool came out okay, but not quite as nicee in the acrylic. I have also done the baby one and am trying to convince myself to do the Yggrasil{I think). They are are fun to do and you can see the trees growing as it were.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I have knitted the 'twin trees' dishcloths and no one will use them to wash dishes. It is a fun pattern to knit but I have never made the afghans.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I made the tree of life afghan a year or 2 ago. I had a very difficult time with it, but decided I was going to conquer and finish it. I was keeping it to give someone very special. A co-worker whom I originally met at a different facility when I was just out of college ended up coming to work where I am working after the facility we previously worked at closed I was elated! She was like a mother to me when we worked together at the original facility where we met - helped me out as a young newbie. She is such a special person to me, that I gave her the afghan when her husband died about a year ago.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement to try this pattern again. Yggdrasil is gorgeous, but, ooh! My granddaughter is 4, so I've plenty of time to get it done as a wedding gift! And I know I've got all of you wonderful knitters to turn to if I run into problems this time. Love you all, Chocolatechips

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
The leaf motif in the Yggdrasil afghan is the same as the one I used in the border of the twin trees afghan I made for my daughter this Christmas. I love the Yggdrasil and will have to put that in my "next" box.

·
Registered
18,278 Posts
Please dont give up, just take one row at a time it really will be beautiful when finished and your GD will love it. Just think of the joy she will feel when you give it to her as a wedding present.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did make the tree of life for my oldest wedding as a covering. It took a long time, but came out beautiful, well worth the effort.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It is absolutely beautiful and I will try it after I finish some ongoing charity projects. Esther

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Once Lion Brand emailed responses to all my questions, it made sense!

The 92 stitches are:

4-40-4-40-4

Each edge has 4 stitches that are NOT counted in the pattern - so just do those as though separate.

Row 50: Purl across. Then Purl another row. THEN do the Dividing Pattern!!

The flowers came out nicely - but I figured those loops and flower heads out all by myself. I like the look.

The second set of trees were a breeze! I'm now knitting the border leaves - and have 21 of those done - and will attach the strip to the blanket before blocking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom