Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knitting the Holden Shawlette, having finished the stockinette section, I realized that I had two extra rows. I tried to frog my stitches evenly all the way across, but I obviously am not catching the k3 on the edges and the yo in the middle correctly. Any advise?
No yarn store for many miles, and they're not open until Wednesday. :-( I'm thinking about knocking on doors in the RV park here to find a fellow knitter. Just kidding.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I remember correctly, the stitch count is important to your lace edge on this shawl. With the stitch definition you get with that yarn, I wouldn't want to just k2tog to come up with the right count. Would be easier to frog back to a wrong-side row where you are simply K3, P to last 3, K3. If you end up adding another row or two, it's no biggie.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
lifeline is the way to go...i just got my holden off the needles this weekend and will post pics once i have it blocked - i lost count of the number of frogged rows...i kept having an extra stitch after the k1,yo x5 rows...and those were the beaded rows...i learned and put in a lifeline in the pattern row prior to each beaded row just in case.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
go under a few rows and use a smaller needle or a tapestry needle and put a life line in.. let me see if I can find the link and I'll be back... then you can frog back to that point.. then move ahead.

See if this helps.. you will have to go slow and make sure that you capture your yo's but you should be able to place a life line this way... I know life lines can be a pain and we never feel like we will make a mistake but they sure do save us when we do make a mistake... best of luck Ronie

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Shasta53 said:
Thanks, jmcret05. I'm afraid that I've gone too far for that. Already frogged, but I didn't get the yo's right going back. :(
You can always pick up between the sts to make a YO, after the fact. I would just worry about picking up the live sts, and then put the YOs back in afterwards. Just pick up the bar of yarn between the sts, stretch it out just a bit and put it on the needle. Voila! A YO...

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
pinkladydew said:
Depending on how many extra stitches I had ...I would have just done a few decrease stitches and called it good as a shawl could be a few rows longer with no real problem!
Pinkladydew, I love the toy in your avatar! Is that your own invention, or is there a pattern out there somewhere for that adorable thing?

·
Premium Member
20,485 Posts
Patty Sutter said:
Will 2 extra rows throw it off that much? or could you leave them and it will be just a tad longer?
What is wrong with meeting your RV neighbors? Could be fun.
My thoughts exactly!! Would the 2 extra rows really throw the pattern off that much?? For the effort and time that frogging and tinking take, I'd really consider leaving this slight "adjustment" to the pattern in your work! Happy Knitting!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes the two rows will make a difference because they have four increases each ... so when she begins the lace pattern she won't have the right stitch count and her shawl will look clunky.

Shasta, you can pick up those yarnovers and you can pick up those edge stitches. Look for videos on how to pick up dropped edge stitches and how to pick up dropped yarnovers. It's not that hard. I am sorry I can't describe it to you in writing.

If I were doing the Holden I'd stop two stockinette rows sooner and eliminate those extra stitches between the middle repeats on each side. You can read about this modification here:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/holden-shawlette/people
So I say frog one more row, then tink an additional row so you get those edge and YO stitches picked up and mounted properly on your needle.

FWIW it might be easier to pick up the edge and YO stitches with a smaller needle.

Good luck I know you can do it!!!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I made him a few years back, used my own yarn ideas and that's how he came out thanks for the compliment
Here's the URL to the pattern

http://mybooteeknits.blogspot.com/2009/11/when-adding-erratta-for-my-hippo.html

I made him for my mother who collects giraffes
I believe the yarn for the body was a self striping red heart worsted weight yarn and the feet and ears and muzzle are Caron simply soft off white

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom