Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of a purchased fleece headband that I would love to use as a liner for making a black knitted headband if there is a way to knit around this fleece band as a base. (I would think it would be warmer than just knit or just fleece alone. )

I've thought about whether I could knit around this fleece band, increasing stitches at the wider parts??) or else knit something flat and sew seams around the fleece band??? Anyone done anything similar to this? Or lined a knitted headband with fleece?

Ok... Maybe it's just not possible, but lining it in fleece seemed a warmer solution and wind breaker than just knitting one no matter how tight the stitches are, it lets wind through.

Is this a workable idea? If so, any guesses on how to do it?!! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
OK, bear with me. I would use DP needles to make a tube. Cast on AROUND the head band. (The pink headband inside the cast on stitches.)Then knit until you have covered the pink headband. Bind off and sew the tube ends together. What do you think?

knitwitconnie said:
Here is a picture of a purchased fleece headband that I would love to use as a liner for making a black knitted headband if there is a way to knit around this fleece band as a base. (I would think it would be warmer than just knit or just fleece alone. )

I've thought about whether I could knit around this fleece band, increasing stitches at the wider parts??) or else knit something flat and sew seams around the fleece band??? Anyone done anything similar to this? Or lined a knitted headband with fleece?

Ok... Maybe it's just not possible, but lining it in fleece seemed a warmer solution and wind breaker than just knitting one no matter how tight the stitches are, it lets wind through.

Is this a workable idea? If so, any guesses on how to do it?!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The easiest way to do this is simply to knit a long narrow piece that is the width of the headband and as long. I would then use a decorative stitch to attach the two together and have the fleece showing in the back. You can stitch a chain stitch (daisy loop stitch in embroidery) along the top and bottom edges and then knit or slipstitch the two together.

Another thing you might try is using a good 100% wool and felting the whole thing. the only thing I would recommend is that you felt first and join afterwards so you can get the right diameter.

HTH

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wally-the-bear said:
OK, bear with me. I would use DP needles to make a tube. Cast on AROUND the head band. (The pink headband inside the cast on stitches.)Then knit until you have covered the pink headband. Bind off and sew the tube ends together. What do you think?

Hey Wally-the-bear:
I was thinking the same thing when I envisioned a tube of sorts except I prefer working without DPN's for ease of knitting.
Here's a picture.... I just started this with a 12" US 5 needle and I think this probably will work!!! I use this needle for making mittens without DPN's as well so I thought this might work but wasn't sure.
I'll keep at it for a few inches and then see what I think.
Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alucalind said:
The easiest way to do this is simply to knit a long narrow piece that is the width of the headband and as long. I would then use a decorative stitch to attach the two together and have the fleece showing in the back. You can stitch a chain stitch (daisy loop stitch in embroidery) along the top and bottom edges and then knit or slipstitch the two together.

Another thing you might try is using a good 100% wool and felting the whole thing. the only thing I would recommend is that you felt first and join afterwards so you can get the right diameter.

alucalind:
I think this is a very good idea! I will try this next if my in-the round-tube doesn't work.
I do have a question about felting, having never done this before. Do you make the original knit piece larger with 100% wool, (more stitches) and felt it by washing and drying? I only accidentally felted once and it was washing a sweater that wasn't supposed to be washed! LOL.
Love your idea, though. Denser wold be warmer. However, Can't quite grasp the concept of how large to make the knitted wool piece originally at this point!
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
knitwitconnie said:
Hey Wally-the-bear:
I was thinking the same thing .(About making a tube around the headband.) Here's a picture.... I just started this with a 12" US 5 needle and I think this probably will work!!! I use this needle for making mittens without DPN's as well so I thought this might work but wasn't sure.
I'll keep at it for a few inches and then see what I think.
Thanks for your input!
I'm so flattered that you think my Idea is worthwhile. I'm also flattered that you understood what I was trying to convey. You put me on cloud 9.
So, is it actually working out? Not too thick?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so flattered that you think my Idea is worthwhile. I'm also flattered that you understood what I was trying to convey. You put me on cloud 9.
So, is it actually working out? Not too thick?[/quote]

Wally-the-bear
It is working! It will be a thicker headband, but here in Northern Minnesota (except this warm winter!) it will be handy getting out in the cold winter winds. So, this should work great. I'll post a picture when I finish. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I made a baby blanket out of fleece and crochet around the edges with a scallope.
I use a very small paper punch and went around the fleece with it then crocheted in the holes.
turned out cute.Worked for me

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just saw a pattern at Knitpicky.com that looks just like your headband. It's called Ear Warmer (#7), and you can adapt the size of the fleece one and just sew it together. I knit a wool hat that was too itchy, so just lined it with fleece about 3 inches - sewing it on the machine. It worked fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom