Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my 13 yr old helped me.... I made the tshirt yarn & made a rug. Then I used a light wieght yarn & smaller needles to make the weekend slippers for my granddaughter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, my boys won't let me near thier closets now ! I'm always looking for more tshirts ! my hands are sore from the rug... it is more of a workout than regular crochetting. I like the idea of recycling. :wink:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Looking at the pattern, it seems that PM is to make 2 extra stitches, as in the next row you have to make 2 more making a total of 54. So, M means make one, ie picking up between stitch between and knitting into the back of it, and PM, make 2 extra stitches. (I think)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Christine, a couple of questions: 1) are the slippers made with t-shirt yarn or just light weight yarn? They are nice slippers! 2) how many shirts did it take to make the rug? Are your fingers sore from so much crocheting on the rug or from the fabric?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MaryE. said:
Christine, a couple of questions: 1) are the slippers made with t-shirt yarn or just light weight yarn? They are nice slippers! 2) how many shirts did it take to make the rug? Are your fingers sore from so much crocheting on the rug or from the fabric?
Hi, the slippers are light weight yarn. the rug used maybe 3 or 4 tshirts. and my hands are sore I think from the weight of the shirts & my hands are not yet used to it. sharper scissors are in my future.... then once you cut the shirts , you tug to roll it into yarn.. I must use my pinkies & thumbs more... hope to just get used to it ?

:oops:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Christine, I'm amazed that you used only 4 shirts. I recently read a blog where someone was describing how to cut the shirts into yarn and made a rug from it. If I read it correctly, she seemed to imply that it took a lot more shirts than that. Thanks for that information.
Have you ever thought of using a rotary cutter? You can put the shirt around the cutting mat if you have one the right size and use the rotary cutter instead of scissors. It's faster to use a rotary cutter and the hand motions aren't quite as tiring although you'd probably get a whole new set off aches.
The rotary cutter won't help the weight problem but it might eliminate the in-general hand strain from scissors and that might make it easier to knit.
There is a way to cut bias strips of fabric that is very similar to the way you cut a t-shirt into yarn and you can use a rotary cutter for that. It's faster to use a rotary cutter and you aren't leaning over for as long so it is less of a strain on your back. I recently set up a cutting "table" across 2 ironing boards and I don't have to lean down at all. A big plus. It's much easier to cut anything with my new cutting platform/table and it's easy to disasemble and put away.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MaryE. said:
Christine, I'm amazed that you used only 4 shirts. I recently read a blog where someone was describing how to cut the shirts into yarn and made a rug from it. If I read it correctly, she seemed to imply that it took a lot more shirts than that. Thanks for that information.
Have you ever thought of using a rotary cutter? You can put the shirt around the cutting mat if you have one the right size and use the rotary cutter instead of scissors. It's faster to use a rotary cutter and the hand motions aren't quite as tiring although you'd probably get a whole new set off aches.
The rotary cutter won't help the weight problem but it might eliminate the in-general hand strain from scissors and that might make it easier to knit.
There is a way to cut bias strips of fabric that is very similar to the way you cut a t-shirt into yarn and you can use a rotary cutter for that. It's faster to use a rotary cutter and you aren't leaning over for as long so it is less of a strain on your back. I recently set up a cutting "table" across 2 ironing boards and I don't have to lean down at all. A big plus. It's much easier to cut anything with my new cutting platform/table and it's easy to disasemble and put away.
I do have a rotary ... got to find it 1st ! I'm pretty sure it only took 4 or so shirts ? I should have kept count. as I look at it, it can't be more than 5 shirts... thanks for the rotary thought :D

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Christine, I was happy to hear how few shirts it took. It's doable with 5 shirts or even 6, but not with a bunch more. I've thought of buying cheap knit fabric when it's on sale to use for yarn. I've also thought about buying inexpensive sheets to use as to make rag rugs. If you want a rag rug you want a rag rug and if you have to buy the rags, so be it.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MaryE. said:
Christine, I was happy to hear how few shirts it took. It's doable with 5 shirts or even 6, but not with a bunch more. I've thought of buying cheap knit fabric when it's on sale to use for yarn. I've also thought about buying inexpensive sheets to use as to make rag rugs. If you want a rag rug you want a rag rug and if you have to buy the rags, so be it.
I wish I would have kept count, but it's not that many & cheap, since the boys were throwing them away. Back in high school, I was given a garbage bag of rag yarn. Back then I had a large weaving loom. So I made a bunch of rugs. They were so pretty. I'll keep telling myself "I don't have room for a loom" !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom