Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I was considering knitting tube socks during the year and donate to the homeless, but I have a few questions:

1. Would worsted acrylic yarn be okay to use?

2. Would like a pattern that is not all rib stitch. I realize I would need ribbing for the cuff but would like to do just a basic stitch for the rest of the sock, you know knit a row, purl a row, although I'd be knitting on circular needles so guess I'd knit all the rows. Is there such a pattern and I just haven't found it yet?

3. What do you think is a good length to make the socks?

4. What size needle would you suggest, especially if using worsted acrylic?

Thanks in advance, not sure I'll carry out this idea but think it would be a good charity project. Enjoy your day and happy knitting...Judy :)

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
There is a recent discussion of hand knit socks for the homeless and there are many good reasons that it is not a good charity donation.
Tube socks need to be ribbing of some sort all they way around to achieve any kind of fit.
Acrylic socks do not hold up well.
Knit hats instead.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I frequently donate socks to the Reno Gospel Mission. They say it's the most requested item by the homeless. I buy socks I find on sale. Mostly they are acrylic. They seem to appreciate whatever I donate. I think no matter what kind you have, they can't wash them so probably just throw them away after a bit.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
I would not use med worsted wt for socks. Bed socks yes, but not shoe/boot socks.

I use fiber blend with some wool in sock wt yarns. It is appreciated where I donate as they are machine washable.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rainie thanks for that search. I tried, but did get that many choices so I've saved the search.

MMWRay, thanks for that info, guess I missed that post. I know the homeless are always requesting socks which is why I want to make them, but hats are always a good option as well.

Thanks everyone for the pros/cons on using worsted yarn, guess that type yarn would be better for hats. I just worried that cotton yarn would shrink, but then there's always regular sock yarn.

Thanks again for your help. Happy knitting...Judy :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
MMWRay said:
There is a recent discussion of hand knit socks for the homeless and there are many good reasons that it is not a good charity donation.
Tube socks need to be ribbing of some sort all they way around to achieve any kind of fit.
Acrylic socks do not hold up well.
Knit hats instead.
The shelters here say that socks are the most requested item, but my mom buys them and donates, because she thinks they are easier to care for.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
gina said:
The shelters here say that socks are the most requested item, but my mom buys them and donates, because she thinks they are easier to care for.
This is the consensus from a previously posted topic. You can buy lots of commercially made socks for the cost of the yarn to make one single pair of hand knit.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear you so guess I'll be rethinking my charity and just buy some socks, definitely less time consuming. Thanks for bringing me to my senses. Hats are more fun to make anyway :) Happy knitting everyone...Judy :)

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
rainie said:
I find acrylic socks to get slimey. Cotton is better. I don't think the homeless can care for wool.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#availability=free&photo=yes&query=tube%20socks&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs
It depends where you live what your donation socks should be made of.
As has already been said, the homeless have nowhere to wash the socks so they get thrown away when unusable.
We have a charity group here that donates socks and their donation request is for socks with wool...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here's my favorite sock pattern. It's called Easy Peasy Socks for First Timers:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-peasy-socks-for-first-timers

Judy-japcrp said:
Hey Gang,

I was considering knitting tube socks during the year and donate to the homeless, but I have a few questions:

1. Would worsted acrylic yarn be okay to use?

2. Would like a pattern that is not all rib stitch. I realize I would need ribbing for the cuff but would like to do just a basic stitch for the rest of the sock, you know knit a row, purl a row, although I'd be knitting on circular needles so guess I'd knit all the rows. Is there such a pattern and I just haven't found it yet?

3. What do you think is a good length to make the socks?

4. What size needle would you suggest, especially if using worsted acrylic?

Thanks in advance, not sure I'll carry out this idea but think it would be a good charity project. Enjoy your day and happy knitting...Judy :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wendyinwonderland, thanks for that link. I do make socks for myself once in a while but they still intimidate me. Might just try this pattern next time.

Vickie P, I'm in Tampa, FL so acrylic might be hot but again the gang has brought me to my senses and I'll probably watch for tube socks on sale and make hats as they are always wearing hats.

Happy knitting everyone...Judy:)

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Judy-japcrp said:
wendyinwonderland, thanks for that link. I do make socks for myself once in a while but they still intimidate me. Might just try this pattern next time.

Vickie P, I'm in Tampa, FL so acrylic might be hot but again the gang has brought me to my senses and I'll probably watch for tube socks on sale and make hats as they are always wearing hats.

Yes, you can sometimes buy excellent socks at a good price. Here in Brisbane, we probably get too many hats and definitely too many scarves. The greatest need is for blankets and adult sweaters. Vests are also good as they can be worn under a parka/coat. If you can make blanket squares, there are knitters' groups who can help with joining and provide their preferred size/pattern. Blanket strips also limit the amount of joining. If you are making a blanket for someone who lives in the street, a good size is 5 feet square or 150 cm. I prefer to make blankets that are tightly knitted (or crocheted). Holes will let freezing air in and the blanket is more likely to be caught and ripped on something. Knitters groups may also be able to provide yarn. These days I think the right type of cowl is better than a scarf.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Judy-japcrp said:

Yes, you can sometimes buy excellent socks at a good price. Here in Brisbane, we probably get too many hats and definitely too many scarves. The greatest need is for blankets and adult sweaters. Vests are also good as they can be worn under a parka/coat. If you can make blanket squares, there are knitters' groups who can help with joining and provide their preferred size/pattern. Blanket strips also limit the amount of joining. If you are making a blanket for someone who lives in the street, a good size is 5 feet square or 150 cm. I prefer to make blankets that are tightly knitted (or crocheted). Holes will let freezing air in and the blanket is more likely to be caught and ripped on something. Knitters groups may also be able to provide yarn. These days I think the right type of cowl is better than a scarf.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Vickie P said:
It depends where you live what your donation socks should be made of.
As has already been said, the homeless have nowhere to wash the socks so they get thrown away when unusable.
We have a charity group here that donates socks and their donation request is for socks with wool...
Here in Brisbane, there are mobile laundries that help the homeless with washing and drying their clothes. The last I heard, there were also vans with showers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom