Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried tunisian crochet and find I really like it. It works up fast and I find it relaxing. Was just doing the basic, simple stitch I think.
Does anyone have a book on it that they would recommend? Just used some left over sugar and cream that wanted to split to make a sample.
Has anyone tried using any material other then yarn or thread? Wondering how t-shirt yarn would work.
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,884 Posts
I discovered tunisian crochet a couple of years ago. I haven't looked back! I love it!

I found "Crochetkim" on the internet to be a great resource. She offers many free patterns and has a plethora of free video tutorials on-line. Just google CrochetKim Tunisian Crochet. She may have some print books out too. You'll be surprised at how much there is; and not only Crochetkim. There are plenty of others (although, she's my favourite).

I also bought a book called "Tunisian Crochet Workshop" by Michelle Robinson. It covers the basics, and then some, and is a handy resource to have around.

Congratulations on giving Tunisian Crochet a try. If your experience is anything like mine, you have hours and hours of enjoyable crafting ahead of you.

By the way, the possibilities are endless (mixing regular crochet with tunisian, double ended and reversible tunisian crochet etc.... and so so many stitch patterns)

eta: I usually use worsted weight yarn, but have done tunisian crochet with sock yarn too - with success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I will check out that site. It is all new to me. I had heard of it but never looked into it.
I watched a video to get started. Is it mainly used for afghans, rugs and such items?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,884 Posts
farmlady said:
Thank you! I will check out that site. It is all new to me. I had heard of it but never looked into it.
I watched a video to get started. Is it mainly used for afghans, rugs and such items?
I've made mittens, hats, scarves, cowls, headbands ... as well as a few lapghans and afghans as well as a poncho/shawl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,481 Posts
I too have thought of trying Tunisian crochet. I was thinking it might be kinder on my hands than traditional crochet. I did try it once, a long time ago, and the wrist action didn't seem to be so harsh. Am I right in this? Apart from pain problems in my hands/thumbs, I have arthritis in my wrists, and I am feeling very down at not being able to do my crafts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,884 Posts
Maureen Therese said:
I too have thought of trying Tunisian crochet. I was thinking it might be kinder on my hands than traditional crochet. I did try it once, a long time ago, and the wrist action didn't seem to be so harsh. Am I right in this? Apart from pain problems in my hands/thumbs, I have arthritis in my wrists, and I am feeling very down at not being able to do my crafts.
I wouldn't know if tunisian crochet is easier on arthritic hands and wrists, but I find the action of picking up stitches and then working them off to be very calming for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,776 Posts
Take a look at "10 Rows a Day" Maryna. I believe I have seen something on this subject there.
Good luck.

farmlady said:
I just tried tunisian crochet and find I really like it. It works up fast and I find it relaxing. Was just doing the basic, simple stitch I think.
Does anyone have a book on it that they would recommend? Just used some left over sugar and cream that wanted to split to make a sample.
Has anyone tried using any material other then yarn or thread? Wondering how t-shirt yarn would work.
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Try this:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=4-OiX97PMMTj_Aady43ABw&q=tunisian+crochet+books+free+download&oq=tunisian+crochet+books&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgUIABDJAzICCAAyAggAOggIABCxAxDJAzoGCAAQFhAeUIwQWK1YYPJ0aABwAHgAgAFyiAGpBJIBAzUuMZgBAKABAqABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab

Also free teaching downloads available on website.

farmlady said:
I just tried tunisian crochet and find I really like it. It works up fast and I find it relaxing. Was just doing the basic, simple stitch I think.
Does anyone have a book on it that they would recommend? Just used some left over sugar and cream that wanted to split to make a sample.
Has anyone tried using any material other then yarn or thread? Wondering how t-shirt yarn would work.
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom