Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating trying to knit socks after I finish my mitten sets. I really like Magic Loop and would like opinions if this method can be used on socks.
Secondly, I read many comments about knitting two socks at one time and I would like to know if this is a good idea for a first attempt at socks, or would I be wiser to learn on one sock at first?
I would appreciate any thoughts; this forum is what convinced me to try Magic Loop and I couldn't be more satisfied; and I am certainly looking forward to, and willing to listen to your advice.
Thank you - Marlene

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Woolywarmer said:
I am contemplating trying to knit socks after I finish my mitten sets. I really like Magic Loop and would like opinions if this method can be used on socks.
Secondly, I read many comments about knitting two socks at one time and I would like to know if this is a good idea for a first attempt at socks, or would I be wiser to learn on one sock at first?
I would appreciate any thoughts; this forum is what convinced me to try Magic Loop and I couldn't be more satisfied; and I am certainly looking forward to, and willing to listen to your advice.
Thank you - Marlene
Marlene, if you go to our workshop page, Darowil has taught a class on knitting socks toe-up with Magic Loop method. I learned to knit socks from that, and it is great! If yo0u use it to learn and have questions not covered in the class, you can message her and she will be happy to help! (She is in Australia so there's a big time difference, so if you send her a question, it might not get answered immediately.)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will try that. I was also thinking of Liat Gat.
Dowager said:
Marlene, if you go to our workshop page, Darowil has taught a class on knitting socks toe-up with Magic Loop method. I learned to knit socks from that, and it is great! If yo0u use it to learn and have questions not covered in the class, you can message her and she will be happy to help! (She is in Australia so there's a big time difference, so if you send her a question, it might not get answered immediately.)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You! I appreciate learning that I can use Magic Loop and knowing that perhaps I should get the hang of it before I knit myself into a knot.
PamieSue1 said:
I did magic loop and tried one at the time for my first pair. Am now working on the 2nd pair and doing 2 at a time magic loop toe-up. It's easy after you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. Liat Gat has really good instructions out there. But unlike KP, you can't ask questions. So first, the questions. Then the KP workshop or Liat.
PamieSue1 said:
Liat Gat's Magic Loop video and the 2-at-a-time toe-up socks video is what I used.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I would recommend knitting one sock at a time as a beginner. They take a bit of getting used to. I am a pretty good sock knitter and have been unable to figure out the magic loop. There are some patterns for spiral socks, also I am trying them out for the first time, they have no heel to turn.

·
Registered
38,972 Posts
I learned socks on double points, then we heard about using 2 circulars. So I learned that. Then magic loop showed up. I love magic loop! I've been knitting socks for at least 11 years. Socks are the reason I learned to knit. My suggestion is to learn to make one at a time, then, if you want to, learn 2 at a time. I have attempted 2 at a time, but personally get to tangled and frustrated with it. And most of my sock knitting gets done in the car, so managing 2 balls of yarn gets a little much. Just my opinion. I will be trying socks on the 12" circulars again(I did once) and see if my fingers will handle that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. I think I would be daunted by attempting two at a time, unless it was beginner easy.
Re the magic loop. I think I tried for six times, with Liat Gat, before I understood. Almost gave up. Now I love it.
annieruok said:
Hi I would recommend knitting one sock at a time as a beginner. They take a bit of getting used to. I am a pretty good sock knitter and have been unable to figure out the magic loop. There are some patterns for spiral socks, also I am trying them out for the first time, they have no heel to turn.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. one at time is the experienced advice I am getting. Wondering about the 12 inch; residue chemo damage make my hands cramp very easily. But will be trying!
tami_ohio said:
I learned socks on double points, then we heard about using 2 circulars. So I learned that. Then magic loop showed up. I love magic loop! I've been knitting socks for at least 11 years. Socks are the reason I learned to knit. My suggestion is to learn to make one at a time, then, if you want to, learn 2 at a time. I have attempted 2 at a time, but personally get to tangled and frustrated with it. And most of my sock knitting gets done in the car, so managing 2 balls of yarn gets a little much. Just my opinion. I will be trying socks on the 12" circulars again(I did once) and see if my fingers will handle that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mittens are one at a time. Interesting thought, though. Maybe it's time to try something new with them!
grandmere101 said:
Are you doing your mittens 2 at a time? If so, you know how the stitches are on the needles. Socks should then be no trouble for you at all!!!
Have fun and please post a photo

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Dowager said:
This is an excellent workshop. I initially learned magic loop from Liat Gat's videos, but Darowil has a lot of wonderful information in her tutorial as well.

Woolywarmer said:
Thanks again. Liat Gat has really good instructions out there. But unlike KP, you can't ask questions. So first, the questions. Then the KP workshop or Liat.
If Darowil is not available because of the time zones, Liat has a forum on Ravelry and she is very fast at getting back with answers - plus you can always ask any of us here on KP who are magic loop knitters for help as well.
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitfreedom

I use magic loop and/or traveling loop (one loop instead of two) for most of my circular knitting, including socks of all sizes, mittens, hats, sleeves for sweaters. I love being able to knit two at a time. I prefer toe up socks which are very easy to knit with magic loop. You only need one needle from start to finish - 32-40" circular in size needed (definitely 40"-47" if you do two at a time). I tried the small circular needles and they did not work for me, although many swear by them. Once I learned magic loop I became a true sock knitter and have never looked back.

Anytime you need help just whistle! There are so many here on KP that want you to succeed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mopgenenorth, thanks. I was concerned I would need to buy more needles (I much prefer HiyaHiya after years and years of using others) and I only have 40 inch at the moment as the length is adaptable to many projects. You are answering one of my concerns.
~~Marlene
mopgenorth said:
If Darowil is not available because of the time zones, Liat has a forum on Ravelry and she is very fast at getting back with answers - plus you can always ask any of us here on KP who are magic loop knitters for help as well.
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitfreedom

I use magic loop and/or traveling loop (one loop instead of two) for most of my circular knitting, including socks of all sizes, mittens, hats, sleeves for sweaters. I love being able to knit two at a time. I prefer toe up socks which are very easy to knit with magic loop. You only need one needle from start to finish - 32-40" circular in size needed (definitely 40"-47" if you do two at a time). I tried the small circular needles and they did not work for me, although many swear by them. Once I learned magic loop I became a true sock knitter and have never looked back.

Anytime you need help just whistle! There are so many here on KP that want you to succeed.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Woolywarmer said:
Mopgenenorth, thanks. I was concerned I would need to buy more needles (I much prefer HiyaHiya after years and years of using others) and I only have 40 inch at the moment as the length is adaptable to many projects. You are answering one of my concerns.
~~Marlene
I love my hiya hiyas sharps! I also just bought a couple of pair of Addi Sock Rockets (fixed circs) in 0, 1 and 2 to try out - so far they are excellent and very comparable to the Hiya Hiya sharps - although I really like the swivel cable that came with my HH interchangables, but they are every bit as good as the HH fixed circs. (But they are about 40% more expensive than the HH - which is a bummer).

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
PamieSue1 said:
Liat Gat's Magic Loop video and the 2-at-a-time toe-up socks video is what I used.
Ditto! I love the way she teaches. And I found that she actually answered my questions in the course of the video. Another thing I like about her teaching method is she actually shows you how to fix mistakes as you go along.

As for can you do [email protected] a time as a beginner....why not? It's no harder than doing them one at a time. And I like knowing that they are identical and that when I'm finished I have both socks, no need to make a second one from scratch.

·
Registered
52,629 Posts
The link top the workshops is under this post. One of the workshops is the socks that dowager said. And if you really are stuck after going through the workshop you can PM me (as the workshop is closed you can't ask questions through it, doesn't impact on what you can actually read and access though).
BTW this is one at a time on magic loop

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom