Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In search for an affordable, durable acrylic like RHSS with speckled color options I can across a well written and well researched blog from budget yarn reviews. Her methodology is something I liked and OMG amount of time she must have put into just the swatching process alone!!! At the end she has a video (link below) breaking it all down as well as a Spreadsheet on acrylic yarns broken into categories that she plans to continue to update as well as add other yarns to.
I found it extremely helpful, with honest personal opinions backed by visual swatch facts. Just had to spread the word

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
You can click on the link without having to watch the video. Scroll down to the chart.
i did and found that my experience with these yarns does not coincide with hers on durability or softness of many of these yarns. Thanks to my thrift store shopping habit I have used almost all (and won't purchase again many of them even at a thrift store). I read the blog and she is inconsistent in her recommendations.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciated that she put so much work into her research, discussion and videos and didn’t just “shoot (recommendations) from the hip” as my mom would say.
Her thoughts and impressions change as she puts her swatches thru more washes over time. Who of us has time for that!!
I also love the fact that she actually mentions that one of the yarns she loves has changed yarn origin from Turkey to China (we have all experienced our tried and true being changed for similar reasons) and it will need to be review again because it is not going to be the same going forward.
I appreciate (and hope) that she is going to keep updating the chart.
It’s just a great resource to add to what you use to form your own opinion before buying

·
Registered
327 Posts
In search for an affordable, durable acrylic like RHSS with speckled color options I can across a well written and well researched blog from budget yarn reviews. Her methodology is something I liked and OMG amount of time she must have put into just the swatching process alone!!! At the end she has a video (link below) breaking it all down as well as a Spreadsheet on acrylic yarns broken into categories that she plans to continue to update as well as add other yarns to.
I found it extremely helpful, with honest personal opinions backed by visual swatch facts. Just had to spread the word

This is an excellent idea, wish someone would do the same for us here in the UK. Most of the yarns mentioned are not readily available here. And yes, that person could be me, but sadly I currently have neither the time nor the cash to hunt down all the acrylic available here. Ravelry have quite a few yarns listed just with star ratings, but it's a start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top Bottom