Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a knitter since 8yo and am addicted! My husband bought me an "Ultimate Sweater Machine" and as many times as I've tried to use it, I cannot make it work for me. I have gone on line, looked at the cd and tried and tried to no avail, and to be honest it ticks me off that I can't figure it out. So....if anyone can aim me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. (I have considered a hammer more than once, but can't bring myself to do that either!)
Thanks!

Anne

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had trouble with mine too so I finally sold it.
But I've often regretted it since things can be finished so much quicker on the machine.
I'll be interested in the replies you'll get and will be watching this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand your frustration. I invented several new swear words when I first started with my Bond. My biggested mistake was not keeping enough weight at the beginning and end of the rows and kept dropping stitches. Also, I realized that if a stitch is behind a closed latch it will drop when you bring the carriage across. The other was not using the right key plate for the yarn I was using. I'm not a seasoned hand knitter so I'm surprised I got this far. Try this link for guage and key plate info. http://www.ginabahrens.com/gauge.html. Have you checked on You Tube? There is a huge number of great videos on the Bond. The other thing I figured out was to use both hands when moving the carriage across. The wieght of my hands seemed to help move the carriage more smoothly. It's not a precision machine so when moving the carriage you kinda of have to help it over it's bumps. So far I've made a long sweater vest, a bunch of hats and am on my first baby blanket (swirl blanket on You Tube video). Be patient with yourself. One day my weimaraner knocked into my table and pulled the knitting off the machine with needles attached! I almost gave it up that day. Glad I didn't.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey ladies; Did the bond come with it's own video? If it did just follow it step by step. Are you having trouble knitting or setting it up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Watch the videos several times and reread the manual and I finally got it. Have done several hats and a vest which were actually hand knit patterns. Did ok. Has anyone seen the ads on Craig's list for the Machine Knitting Seminar in Oregon on Memorial Day weekend? I'd love to go. Had anyone ever been?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Anne,
I had a little trouble at first too. Turns out my carriage was not sitting on the bed correctly. What exactly is happening when you try? There are so many people here to help!! We'll get it figured out...
= )
Julie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I bought my ultimate sweater machine yesterday, compared to my other two machines it is going to take a lot of patience. For a new machine freshly out of the box compared to my other machines a large majority of the needles need replacing. To help with this problem, because there were no spares in the box, I spent a large majority of time oiling each and every needle freeing up the latches and needles from the channels. The second thing that helped me was reducing the size of the plate from a 4 to a three and finally I used a better quality cast on bar and weights which I had from my other machine. If you are having problems finding weights you could try using large fishing sinkers and attach a piece of wire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
DON'T sell it!!!!!!!!!!!! take 2-3 hrs and you'll be great!!!! pick a day when you don't have alot to do . i LOVE mine!!!! i also bought the book on manipulating the stitches to achieve lace and cables ect. i will try to get the most out of it!!!! of course nothing beats sitting with needles and a ball /needles!!! also these girls have tons of help to give!!! thanks all of you

·
Registered
268 Posts
I found that if you apply a little pressure to the front of the handle ( the part that hangs out over the machine) and then use the other hand to gently push the machine across that it will help the needles glide over the green plastic guides. Make sure the needles are in the Working position and lastly make sure your keyplate isn't too small, maybe try the next size up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have also had problems with mine too. It is very frustrating. Every fall I get it out, and every time, I fail, usually. Have never been able to advance to anything other than the basic stuff.

I have suspected that mine is defective, i.e. a slightly warped platform. When I purchased it, it was the only one in the store, and the box had been opened. Should have taken it back then. I have even entertained getting another one, and ditching the one I have.

Hope that you are able to master yours!!!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
tried your link but it does not work- can you repost?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got mine in march and had a lot of trouble with it my bed looked like the ocean wave but to my suprise I got a hold of [email protected] and told her my problem she finely sent me a new carriage she said they had a problem with the carriage drying wrong or something I didn't think this would work but to my shock it did the new carriage just runs back and forth where the other one would stop and lock up maybe you can get in touch with her and she can help you
Hope it helps Mary

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really does and can get frustrating .. but keep at it. I found that the pressure I exert on the piece that glides under the needles help. Could someone scan and send me copy of the ultimate manual.
We moved and I can't find it anywhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom