Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter posed this question which my mind can't quite get it together to answer. She wants to crochet a 40x60 inch afghan. She asked if she uses a large hook and bulkier yarn will it take more/less yarn than indicated on a pattern using- say worsted yarn? [I do not know what pattern she is considering.] Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
emmatonoose said:
My daughter posed this question which my mind can't quite get it together to answer. She wants to crochet a 40x60 inch afghan. She asked if she uses a large hook and bulkier yarn will it take more/less yarn than indicated on a pattern using- say worsted yarn? [I do not know what pattern she is considering.] Thanks in advance-
I would say more by weight but less by yardage.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
a swatch by the width will also help. maybe measure 6 yds of yarn, make a loop, then do a sample row to see how much yarn is used to calculate possible yardage needed. buy extra yarn considering that dye lots and colors may become unavailable

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
emmatonoose said:
Remember, if she uses a larger hook and thicker yarn, she will need less stitches and rows to get 40 X 60 inches so the comparison should be similar.
I would be prepared to buy extra yarn though, just to be sure.
Have fun.
Colleen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom