Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, I guess I'm just thick, but I cannot get my head around how to fold a rectangle of large ribbing, and sew it up so it turns into a sweater. I want a long one, and I've heard this is called a "turtleback" sweater. I don't know if I keep on knitting if that's going to be the length or the width! I've tried using pieces of paper to see if I can get it, but I must have a mental block because it doesn't make sense in my head! I better stop knitting the length of it now until I'm sure I'm not adding width. I've looked for directions on the internet and there are some good ones, but they stop at sewing the arms. Do I then turn it inside out? Do I make it into a circle? Ugh.

Thanks so much friends.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's really not a pattern. I found it in a magazine, and was under super simple, and I memorized it. When I go to "How to knit a turtleback sweater" EHow has incomplete instructions. But it was basically very very easy. Knit in32 a rib pattern, with size 11 needle (straight) approximately 4 inches with a size 11 needle, change to a size 9 and knit to 32". Then, fold it in half with cast on and cast off edges meeting. Measure 8" from the fold, and seam it. That's it. Somehow it unfolds, or turns inside out, or something so you get a very loose fitting sweater with large unformed sleeves, and the edge folds out and makes a collar/lapel that goes all the way down to about the mid. Then it curves away and covers the hips (if you make it long enough). I've seen some that are short.

I honestly thought that a turtleback sweater or jacket all had the same shape and was constructed the same way. I believe the rib pattern is so it is flexible and almost makes a circle when you open it up after seaming.

Any help is appreciated, since I don't have a pattern, or a link.
Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry...there's a random "32" that showed up in my text when I said "knit in a rib pattern" please forget that 32. What I have done is worked a plain k2p2 rib on different needle sizes like it said.

(I was in a doctor's office looking at their magazine, and memorized the pattern, that's why I'm stuck!)

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
yes, I made one very similar, but it has an extra knitted edge that is knit all the way around. It is simple , just is hard to visualize. Sew up the 8 inches on each side. Then pick up your vest from the edge in the middle from either side seam. Because the fabric you created is a strechy rib, it will fall into place. Where you pick it up becomes the back of the collar, put your arms through the holes. You'll see it magically becomes the vest.

Loves to Knit's Daughter said:
Well, it's really not a pattern. I found it in a magazine, and was under super simple, and I memorized it. When I go to "How to knit a turtleback sweater" EHow has incomplete instructions. But it was basically very very easy. Knit in32 a rib pattern, with size 11 needle (straight) approximately 4 inches with a size 11 needle, change to a size 9 and knit to 32". Then, fold it in half with cast on and cast off edges meeting. Measure 8" from the fold, and seam it. That's it. Somehow it unfolds, or turns inside out, or something so you get a very loose fitting sweater with large unformed sleeves, and the edge folds out and makes a collar/lapel that goes all the way down to about the mid. Then it curves away and covers the hips (if you make it long enough). I've seen some that are short.

I honestly thought that a turtleback sweater or jacket all had the same shape and was constructed the same way. I believe the rib pattern is so it is flexible and almost makes a circle when you open it up after seaming.

Any help is appreciated, since I don't have a pattern, or a link.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I believe they mean sew 8 " from the cast on and bound off edge, which sews the sides together. The hole or armhole is from the folded edge to the top of the sewn edge. Think of it this way. Fold the piece in half. Forget that you can't see a place for your head to go. Sew the sides together 8" from the bottom up, leaving a space open for your arms. After sewing, pick up your vest from the middle of either the bound off edge or the cast on edge. it will fall upon and stretch down. Then you will see how it turns into a vest.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linda, thank you so very much for your help. You got it right when you said "forget that you can't see where your head should go"!!! That was exactly my problem, it just doesn't seem to make sense when you try and picture it. It's probably one of those things you have to do to see how it works. My only other question is this: as I'm knitting now, I want this to be a longer sweater, not a bolero type, so do I just keep knitting length until I either run out of yarn or figure it's about long enough? I would love it to be long enough to sit on when I've got it on. The width is the cast on stitches right?

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Yes the width is the cast on. I think you are correct. But because of the way it hangs when you have it on, the length will be about 2/3's of the whole rectangle. So if you want the length of the back from shoulder to below your butt, say about 20 inches then the whole piece should measure about 30". That should be close anyway. Measure yourself from your shoulder to approx. down to the point you want. Then add 1/3 more for the final length.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Linda, I think that sounds exactly right, because I remember the instructions saying to continue knitting (after the initial 4" larger ribbing) once I change needle sizes for 32". So the instructions were for the longer version rather than the bolero type.

Your help has saved this project. I was about ready to rip the entire thing out and ask on here if anyone has a better pattern. Do you still have the pattern you used that called for an additional knit around the entire thing?

·
Registered
575 Posts
now i like this. the directions that they were talking about made absolutely no sense to me...it was all nonsense...lol. this is great and i love the cowl with it. thanx....that is on my must do list. great daughter gifts, think both of mine would like that. or so me thinks...
BobnDejasMom said:
This pattern has a drawing which might help. http://cache.lionbrand.com/printablePatterns/L10375.pdf

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.ehow.com/how_10027100_knit-turtleback-sweater.html

Linda, and friends, this is the ehow pattern, which to me, seems incomplete. It doesn't have a picture, and at the end, it really doesn't explain how to hold the piece so it makes a proper sweater. The picture you provided with the pattern is exactly what it should look like, but when you read the Ehow directions you'll see what I mean. When I'm done knitting I should have about 42" of ribbing, right sides together, seamed 8" from the fold to the edges. Then.....unless you see what Linda was saying, it doesn't explain how to pick it up and have it turn into a sweater. Hence the name....turtleback, it has a front and a back with no head hole! Ugh...this was too confusing for words. But, once I do it once, it will be simple.

·
Registered
575 Posts
don't ask me why, as i am so slow, but i understand this better than any of them...LOL. go figure. sometimes i really really scare myself. but i have to say, the picture nailed it for me. maybe that is why i got what they were talking about...could be.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10027100_knit-turtleback-sweater.html

Linda, and friends, this is the ehow pattern, which to me, seems incomplete. It doesn't have a picture, and at the end, it really doesn't explain how to hold the piece so it makes a proper sweater. The picture you provided with the pattern is exactly what it should look like, but when you read the Ehow directions you'll see what I mean. When I'm done knitting I should have about 42" of ribbing, right sides together, seamed 8" from the fold to the edges. Then.....unless you see what Linda was saying, it doesn't explain how to pick it up and have it turn into a sweater. Hence the name....turtleback, it has a front and a back with no head hole! Ugh...this was too confusing for words. But, once I do it once, it will be simple.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Linda, are you a math teacher or an engineer by chance?! lol. I have to say, you were able to see this in your mind better than anyone I have asked thus far. Until you found the picture, I just couldn't imagine it, and guess what....I was an art teacher, and a piano teacher! You would have thought I could have seen this. If by chance you come across another turtleback pattern please send it my way! (I'm serious!) Thanks again, and when I'm finished with this 42" rectangle with no head hole, I'll try and figure out how to post a picture! (That's a problem for another day!)

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Yes, it is by lionbrand. Called 'the endless circle vest. I have attached for you. I know others here have made this vest too. I used the yarn called for 'Changes', although fasinated by the changing yarns, I did not like the quality or how they joined the yarns, which I think others have the same complaint about the yarn. But I do like how the little bit different construction of this pattern makes the vest hang more fitted. Still loose fitting but it flatters your curves.

Thank you Linda, I think that sounds exactly right, because I remember the instructions saying to continue knitting (after the initial 4" larger ribbing) once I change needle sizes for 32". So the instructions were for the longer version rather than the bolero type.

Your help has saved this project. I was about ready to rip the entire thing out and ask on here if anyone has a better pattern. Do you still have the pattern you used that called for an additional knit around the entire thing?
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom